Sponsored by:

Previous Owner Drama

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 06:06 PM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

Received 272 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol

For obsceneties and personal attacks in written you can get into court.
Only in some stupid Progressive hell...oh wait....
Old 10-22-2014, 06:13 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If we had similar cars, I would have made you an offer for the lid with wing and you could go buy yourself a stock lid. I really want a wing on my 997, and I mean I really, really want one

Originally Posted by Comanche_699
Thanks guys - I do believe it will all sort itself out in the end. I'm totally happy with the TAIII wing and who knows? Maybe it will occur to him to be true to his word one day, and he'll be the one to apologize to me. hahaha

The more pressing thing on my mind lately is, "Do I really want to put Eibachs on, or should I just keep the stock ride height and be content?" - but that's a question for another thread.

Good times.
- D
Old 10-22-2014, 09:41 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

Oh, I know what I forgot to ask, what is the significance of the 11-99 plate frame?
Old 10-23-2014, 12:45 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

997 Toronto - I'd never trade for a stock deck. The reason I want the OEM deck lid, is that 1. If I ever sell the car, I want to keep the wing for the next car. 2. It's the original deck lid that came with the car, so it would be great to keep all matching numbers parts together. But if he handed me the deck lid today, it would just get wrapped up and hang in the garage.

Saaboteur - The 11-99 plate frames are a $2500.00 to as much as $25,000.00 'show of support' for the CHP. The money goes to helping CHP officers and their families in times of need.

The plate frame isn't a guarantee that you get a pass on highway violations, but folks that have them tend to believe they're worth having, and not for no reason.

The color of the letters on the plate frame indicates your 'level of support' - and I think generally if you should be pulled over by a CHP and have an 11-99 frame, (and it's not a fake) things tend to 'go better than they could have (wink,wink)".

http://www.chp11-99.org/about-chp-11-99

If I had this whole thing to do over again, I'd have let him keep the deck lid, and I'd have just kept the plate frame. It was on the car when I first saw it, when I made the offer, when we shook hands on it, and when I handed him a fat stack of hundred dollar bills. By his rules, that plate frame should be mine. haha. oh well.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:53 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

The 11-99 plates don't mean anything in CA anymore; the State needs the revenue too badly, and most cops don't care about anything but themselves anyway. If it benefits their quota to write you up, that 11-99 plate won't be worth a damn.

As for the rest, as others have said, wait to exchange the part he wants (11-99 frame) for the part you want (deck lid).

Hope you got some great satisfaction insulting him before you got the decklid back. That cost you at least $399 for your old lid.

Some would say only a dolt insults someone before getting what they want. Next time wait until after it's in your hands
Old 10-24-2014, 09:38 PM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Oh it was worth it to me for sure. As I've said, I don't need the deck lid, it was just a thing he was meant to give me. I had considered waiting till it was in hand, but as it had already been about 14 months, and he was putting me off yet again, I decided to pass on the delayed gratification and cash in my chips now.

Though I would have liked to see his face, the picture in my head in sure is much better.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:28 PM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It's situations like this that get me thinking WWTD (What Would Tony Do?) . . . as in Tony Soprano. Bada Bing!

Sean
Old 10-27-2014, 10:52 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

I don't think those words mean what you think they mean. I've seen the Princess Bride a few times and I would not have gotten the reference (I still don't get it).

I don't know why there's so much discussion about this. You wrote that decklid off the second you sent that message. Any discussion of what you should do post-insults is just pi$$ing into the wind.

You don't insult the waiter until after he serves your food--unless you like the taste of his spit.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:25 PM
barbancourt
Burning Brakes

Received 504 Likes on 277 Posts

Regardless of what you said to him, a deal is a deal and if he was honorable he should have sent what he owed you. I don't think you were wrong to be frustrated and given the circumstances, he should have understood that he caused you to be upset.

I place the fault where it belongs... with the other guy.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:27 PM
barbancourt
Burning Brakes

Received 504 Likes on 277 Posts

double post
Old 10-27-2014, 11:38 PM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

I think *** and dolt both mean exactly what i think they mean.

When I called the original owner an ***, I meant it as an insult, and expected him to understand he was being a stubborn donkey. An ***.

Knowing I was going to get "a thumb in my potatoes" for it, and not wanting him to consider my jab an iPhone auto-correct mistake, I pressed on and wrapped up my next line with "dolt".

By dolt, I meant that he was being an exceedingly tedious, stupid person. Because he was being both tedious and stupid.

In any case it seemed to work perfectly. He responded quicker than any other time in the previous thirteen months, and by quicker I mean his response to my comments were days quicker.

The princess bride reference comes from the ongoing dialogue throughout the film where Westley would be running with a simple dialogue and then punctuate a sentence with a barbed insult. It's quite funny actually.

Like in this scene:

Specifically the bit when he calls him a pig, but "warthog faced buffoon" might have been a better choice than "***" in retrospect.

And so many words have been spent on this because it's a forum. People commiserate and discuss things relating to Porsches and the camaraderie of ownership, and lifestyle & little dramas for days on end in forums. Heck one time I saw a thread go 8 pages over a flat tire.

It's fun. I appreciated everyone's thoughts and opinions in this thread.

And of course I wouldn't insult the waiter before he brought the food. In fact I don't care to insult waiters at all if I can help it, but in keeping with the analogy, this is a case where the waiter was never going to bring the food, but instead for over a year he kept coming to the table and saying "the food you've ordered and pre-paid for is coming right up."
Old 10-28-2014, 03:28 PM
Iceter
Drifting

<<<@!1!@>>>

You just made my point. My first sentence was a much more memorable reference to the Princess Bride and you didn't get it.

The guy's at fault, take him to small claims court. I don't see why you need to poll the electorate (Simpson's reference) to make your decision.

I'm interested in the outcome and hope you get it from him. Make sure you don't call him any more names or he might give it to you in pieces or painted pink.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:41 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Originally Posted by barbancourt
Regardless of what you said to him, a deal is a deal and if he was honorable he should have sent what he owed you. I don't think you were wrong to be frustrated and given the circumstances, he should have understood that he caused you to be upset.

I place the fault where it belongs... with the other guy.
Written like a true idealist. If only being right could get the OP his decklid... .

I guess we know that calling him names doesn't work... .

I will be watching for updates with great interest.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:50 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
<<<@!1!@>>>

Make sure you don't call him any more names or he might give it to you in pieces or painted pink.
If it comes back pink, my wife will buy it
Old 10-28-2014, 07:48 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

My cousin had to point out to me that Inigo Montoya is Saul Berenson, ie I never saw any of Mandy Patinkin's work in between Princess Bride and Homeland!

Quick Reply: Previous Owner Drama