Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 08:58 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,646 Likes on 982 Posts
Default External Door Handle Removal - Window Microswitch

2009 C2S coupe 64K miles

Something has been bugging me for a while now. My driver side window does not drop quick enough. The mechanism does work. But... I have to pull the handle out and the window drop doesn't trigger until the last moment before the door unlatches. Therefore, the window always pops a bit against the door seal.

The passenger side works fine and triggers the window drop early enough.

It is as if the micro switch is worn somehow.

So...... how do I get in there? I have removed the interior door panel a few times now, but I think I will have to remove the inner panel to get at the handle mechanism. The part, should it need to be replaced, is 997 613 125 01. Maybe it wasn't seated properly?

Yes, I am being very picky here as the thing does work.... but it does not work as it should.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (An idle mind is the devil's workshop)
Old 10-17-2014, 11:03 PM
mlv_250
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Bruce,

You will have to remove the interior door panel and this includes the disconnection of two cables: (1) mechanical door latch cable, and (2) power cables to the window motor, air bag, speaker, power mirror, and door light. This is what it will look like after panel and cables have been disconnected.

Looking into the door cavity and locate the black plastic sleeve behind the door handle assembly. Press on the black plastic sleeve and slide the sleeve away from the door handle assembly to expose the threaded bolt underneath.

[Rotate pix 90 CCW]

Pull threaded bolt out until free of sleeve.

[Rotate pix 90 CCW]

Next remove the two nuts attached to the back of the door handle assembly then remove the metal door handle casing.

[Rotate pix 90 CCW]

Here are some close ups of a door handle assembly I got off of ebay. Hope this helps.

2007 C2

Last edited by mlv_250; 10-18-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:09 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Sheesh!!!! Thanx so much, I think this is what I have to do.

Why did you do this? What were your symptoms.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 10-17-2014, 11:20 PM
mlv_250
Instructor

I didn't have to replace the door switch as you have indicated. There is a plastic rod that is attached to the door handle that connects to the door locking mechanism that had sheared off. Bought a whole door handle assembly off of eBay (as seen in the above yellow pix) as a replacement. Without this plastic rod, I was not able to manually lock/unlock my door... was relying only on my key fob for entry. If my battery had died, it would have been very difficult to unlock the door.

Here is the plastic rod after swap out...

Good luck with your swap out.

Last edited by mlv_250; 10-18-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:54 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,722 Likes on 4,275 Posts

You're in for some fun :/

I did all the disassembly on my wife's black car before delivering it to the painter (it's the pink pearl one in my signature photo), and that included removal of both door handles. The worst part is trying to get the tiny snap-clip back onto the post. I don't remember if you can access the handle micro switch without taking the handle completely off, but if you can it will save you the fun with the clip.

Good luck and let us know if a new switch solves your issue.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:20 PM
mlv_250
Instructor

Originally Posted by Petza914
You're in for some fun :/

I did all the disassembly on my wife's black car before delivering it to the painter (it's the pink pearl one in my signature photo), and that included removal of both door handles. The worst part is trying to get the tiny snap-clip back onto the post. I don't remember if you can access the handle micro switch without taking the handle completely off, but if you can it will save you the fun with the clip.

Good luck and let us know if a new switch solves your issue.
The worst part for me was trying to align the rear metal casing with the two bolts during re-assembly. One hand holding the door handle while other hand maneuver the metal casing into place.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:25 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Phoooy!!! You don't scare me!

I have access to a tow truck and dealer! Ha!

The part from Pelican is $38 so what the heck and with a few oil filters, free shipping ... ($68 from my local dealer and not available)

Part superseded by a new one: 997 613 125 02 ..... a 02 instead of the old 01
Peace
Bruce in Philly

PS...
ya, I know... I am scared but I will "crack on" as Ed says.

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 10-18-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:06 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default Door Handle Micro Switch - Fixed!!!

2009 C2S Coupe 64K miles

MLV 250: Thanx! You da man!

I could not have done this without your pictures and advice.

So... some tips should anyone need to do this.

1 - Start with the window up
2 - I did not completely remove the inner door panel. You can see in the pics below that it will swing out enough to get your arm in there. Notice my trouble light hanging in there. I supported the panel with a milk crate. It appeared the Porsche engineers anticipated this repair move as there was extra cable to the door lock tucked under the airbag allowing me to pull it out without removing the cable. I also did not remove the inner handle cage; I let it sag in there with the door lock and then used some painter tape from the outside to hold it up.
3 - You have to remove the window motor to release the door from the mechanism. Just remove the three screws and it falls away disengaging from the window rotary thingy.
4 - Believe it or not, I did not have trouble with the screw and hood thing behind the handle. First, I got down on my right knee, and put my whole arm in there with the palm of my hand facing out, thumb down. This actually allowed me to grip the thing well. Also, you don't have to thread the screw on... the sleeve has a slot down its side and the screw pops in from the side. For some reason, this all worked rather easily for me... I do have small, slender hands. Oh, and I did this with only one nut on (the one far from the screw-hood)... just tight enough to stabilize the thing. I left the nut next to the screw-hood thing off and this gave me more room to work.
5 - I broke two of the door snaps but I had two more on hand. I keep a few on hand for just this... I have taken my door off numerous times.. install macassar trim, Focal speakers... and when you do this, they start to break.

I took a few pictures below... I wish I took a few more.

So thank you so much for your tips and advice....

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 10-26-2014, 07:02 PM
mlv_250
Instructor

YW glad it worked out for you!

Actually, you have helped me as well... I always wondered if my car was in an accident... since I bought it used. I thought this because I see a steel plate within the car door cavity...refer to my first picture. But the pix you have shown confirms this is not the case.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:03 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

@Bruce,

I have a similar but different issue... My drivers side window lowers as soon as I pull the handle, BUT it does NOT stay down... as soon as I let the handle go, it raises up immediately making it difficult to impossible to close the door. I have to keep the handle out, and coordinate letting it go at the same time as I am closing so the window goes back up to the top in the right place.

Do you think it's the same microswitch or something else is wrong? Basically the car thinks the door is closed, so raises the window up. Passenger side is just fine...
Old 12-03-2015, 12:38 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexb76
@Bruce,

I have a similar but different issue... My drivers side window lowers as soon as I pull the handle, BUT it does NOT stay down... as soon as I let the handle go, it raises up immediately making it difficult to impossible to close the door. I have to keep the handle out, and coordinate letting it go at the same time as I am closing so the window goes back up to the top in the right place.

Do you think it's the same microswitch or something else is wrong? Basically the car thinks the door is closed, so raises the window up. Passenger side is just fine...
Bummer..... I doubt that microswitch is the problem. It sounds like your car does not know the door is open. If you open the door, do you get the light on the dash that the door is open? With the door open, start to drive. Then do the same with the other door open. Do you get the same warnings and reaction from the car?

With the door closed, if you lift the handle just a bit, the window will drop. Now let the handle down without opening the door. THe window goes back up. If you open the door, and then let relaease the handle, the window goes back up when it should stay down......? If healthy, it should stay down until the door recognizes it is closed and then it will up the window.

Does anyone know where the sensor/switch is that tells the car computer that the door is closed or not?

When you open the offending door, do the car's lights come on? If not, then the switch/sensor for the door open/close is bad and it is definitely not that micro switch. I don't know where this sensor is located but it may be in the door latch.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-03-2015, 01:34 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Bummer..... I doubt that microswitch is the problem. It sounds like your car does not know the door is open. If you open the door, do you get the light on the dash that the door is open? With the door open, start to drive. Then do the same with the other door open. Do you get the same warnings and reaction from the car?

With the door closed, if you lift the handle just a bit, the window will drop. Now let the handle down without opening the door. THe window goes back up. If you open the door, and then let relaease the handle, the window goes back up when it should stay down......? If healthy, it should stay down until the door recognizes it is closed and then it will up the window.

Does anyone know where the sensor/switch is that tells the car computer that the door is closed or not?

When you open the offending door, do the car's lights come on? If not, then the switch/sensor for the door open/close is bad and it is definitely not that micro switch. I don't know where this sensor is located but it may be in the door latch.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Thanks. I did some more research and it looks like it's a 3rd micro switch which is in the latch. There's one connected to handle on the outside, one to the inside and another in the latch. So it looks like the latch one is failing as it thinks it's close while it's open. The interior light comes on correctly with me opening the door so that might be another sensor altogether!

I did this test, twisted the latch inside the door on the passenger side and it immediately went up and then turned it and it went down. Then on the drivers side it doesn't do anything. Window goes up regardless. So most likely it's the latch which is quite expensive.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:48 AM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

Moderator: Based on the detailed descriptions and photographs included in this post, I think that you should consider adding it to the DIY Index. I'm sure that as our cars start to really show their age this might be a commonplace repair.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:58 PM
Kaychub
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

2016 and this post is still very relevant, tried in the afternoon couldn't get it out, went out about 10.30pm with the torch on my phone and its out! Thanks!
Old 12-16-2016, 07:54 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

Struggling with this now and the ever present low voltage from insufficient charging daily.

Quick Reply: External Door Handle Removal - Window Microswitch