Sponsored by:

Which direction to go: Bilstein DampTronic vs JRZ

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 06:10 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 187 Posts
Default Which direction to go: Bilstein DampTronic vs JRZ

I've always been a fan of a "simple" set up; a proper spring rate and a set of quality shocks with remote reservoirs. I was pretty set on replacing my OEM suspension with a set of JRZs, but I'm hearing great things about the Bilsteins with the TPC box.

Thoughts?
Old 10-08-2014, 07:50 PM
Spoddle
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it really depends on what you plan on doing most with the car. Street or Track?

Street = Bilstein Damptronic
Track = JRZ

Based on the reviews the TPC box is a game changer in terms of dynamic suspension feel.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:54 PM
ngng
Drifting

It's a track car that I drive on the street a few days a week.

Even on track the TPC box has glowing reviews.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:30 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

I'd get the TPC unit as a first step. Low cost and almost zero risk; if you don't like it you will find a wealth of buyers and be able to sell at almost buy price. Alternatively, try find someone in your area who has one and is willing to let you test it out in your car.

I'm installing mine this weekend, alongside my existing GMG springs. Looking forward to it.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:36 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Street/Track here....I like my Bilsteins Damptronics a lot. Besides JRZ there are a lot of other non-PASM coilover to look at in the $3500-4k range. You might want to call or ping John at BGB in Daytona. He has a wealth of knowledge on coilovers for the Carrera 997 cars.

One thing I wish Excellence Porsche magazine would do is more mod tests and product comparisons for Porsche cars. So many guys are replacing worn out parts and or moding 997 these days it sure would be interesting to see some tests and reviews.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:39 AM
OlsenMotorsports
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can ring us up and we will be happy to help you with the JRZ lineup as well as any setup advice for the car.

-Tim
Old 10-10-2014, 12:13 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,594 Likes on 4,192 Posts

After experiencing the B16 Damptronics with the TPC DSC box, for mostly track use, like you intend to use it, that's going to be THE SETUP. Buy the box and try it with your current PASM setup and you'll get a feel for what it can do. If you like that, then pairing it with a true coilover setup and some other suspension goodies (LCAs, Toe Steer Kits, etc) then lowering and corner balancing the car will have you leaps and bounds beyond the guys running a static but adjustable setup like the B9s, B10s or other brands - it would be like F1 vs IndyCar from a few years back.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:55 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 951 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
for mostly track use, like you intend to use it, that's going to be THE SETUP.
Couldn't agree more.

In the order of importance(traditionally to me) for track use-

1. Tires- sized to prevent ABS issues(when in doubt stay with stock size) with good grip all around(i.e. don't chase or blame the setup when front or rear tires are worn)
2. Alignment/ride height(if adjustable)/geometry; bumpsteer correction
3. Sway bar settings to achieve desired balance(usually no need to change bars on .2 GT cars, the .2 front is almost as stiff as TPC 29mm front bar)
4. Springs*(once you have 1,2&3 to your liking, should be a pretty good car, then springs will allow to go faster via dynamic weight transfer)
5. shocks/damping value*(once you have 1,2,3,&4 to your liking then use compression/rebound to further refine the setup)
6. Differential(may requires some slight adjustment for entry/mid corner push)
7. Aero- my approach is maximize mechanical grip before touching aero

*Springs must not be outside the control range of the shocks. When springs are too stiff for the shocks, the shocks springs must be changed or reworked.

DSC is game changer by aiding 2,3,6, hugely make up for deficiency in 4(when using stock springs) and becomes 5 when using PASM-type shocks.

For street use(to me), as long as the ride is acceptable for my limited commutes after setting up for track, its all good. There are only so many place I can go anyway with the front spoiler so low... in fact I just trashed one last night at the gym parking lot.

There are some very good non-PASM shocks on the market as well, such as the JRZ RS1, that has softer hi-speed compression valving(for bumps), when paired with right springs its very streetable. The JRZ RS Pro is more track focused and they work better with stiffer springs, very good on track once the clickers are dialed in, a bit to stiff for street for my preference but some are okay with it. All this info probably doesn't make the OP's decision any easier. I want to lay out the facts for people to form their own conclusions and hopefully I didn't confuse more. The stock PASM shocks are made by Bilstein, they use the same internal arrangement for their non-factory product line with threaded body for ride height adjustability which they named Damptronic.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 10-10-2014 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Forget to about ride height in 2 and added last sentence.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:14 AM
THE_Roen
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone feel that even with the TPC box, the car needs more spring with either the stock PASM shocks or the Damptronic?

Specifically when using tires such as NT-01, R6, and the like on the track.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:35 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by THE_Roen
Does anyone feel that even with the TPC box, the car needs more spring with either the stock PASM shocks or the Damptronic?

Specifically when using tires such as NT-01, R6, and the like on the track.
I have a 2nd TPC DSC box that I'm going to install in my wife's car - she has the stock PASM setup so I don't have feedback on that yet, but will soon. I will say on my car with the Damptronics that I don't think additional spring work is necessary, but I'll default to the hard-core racers on that subject since they have more experience than I.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:24 PM
ngng
Drifting

Just a quick update. I called TPC to get some information on the box but was unsatisfied with the response. I asked the person who I spoke to on the phone if they could compare the TPC box with a typical coilover setup. They kept reiterating that the TPC controls the magnetic shocks in the vehicle and they did not function like a standard coilover system to which I would reply that "yes, I understand that". Nothing against TPC, as I'm sure it's a great product, but I was a bit disappointed.

I was about to pick up a set of JRZs, but at the last minute I ended up a deal came up on a set of refreshed Motons that I couldn't pass up. Once they're in the car and I've had some track time I can add my thoughts.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:46 PM
mdrums
Race Director

^^^ thanks for the update and report.

I have the Bilstein Damptronics....would love to plug in the TPC unit to try it out. If I notice a difference I'd buy it...I've just been burned in the past with certain so called upgrades.

Refreshed Motons and a good deal..smart move...enjoy!!!!
Old 10-29-2014, 09:53 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
^^^ thanks for the update and report.

I have the Bilstein Damptronics....would love to plug in the TPC unit to try it out. If I notice a difference I'd buy it...I've just been burned in the past with certain so called upgrades.

Refreshed Motons and a good deal..smart move...enjoy!!!!
I have the Damptronics with the TPC module. You won't believe the difference when cornering - you'll find you're driving through the same street corners at 10-15 MPH faster just because it feels like you're going the same speed you were before. Once the body roll is eliminated the sensation of speed and grip is changed. I highly recommend it and have it on both my cars - one with stock PASM and the other with Damptronics.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:25 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Thanks ^^^ actually my car with the Damptronics lowered and the bigger adjustable sway bars I have there is very little to no body roll. Nothing like the stock body roll...I have to have on r-compund tires at the track to notice some body roll.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:29 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Thanks ^^^ actually my car with the Damptronics lowered and the bigger adjustable sway bars I have there is very little to no body roll. Nothing like the stock body roll...I have to have on r-compund tires at the track to notice some body roll.
Mine is lowered too, has the full RSS stage 2 setup (LCAs, rear dog bones, front and rear toe steer kits, sway bars, adj drop links, Tarett Monoball front mounts, etc) and the difference was still very noticeable.

Quick Reply: Which direction to go: Bilstein DampTronic vs JRZ