Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at used GTS. PCCB/CL Good thing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 09:16 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96_993TT
@beden1 I totally agree with you. But that's the price if you want to have the centerlocks and to make sure you're able to service them on your own or while out in the middle of nowhere. Yes, its expensive but that's an associated cost of owning cars with centerlocks and should be planned on when looking at cars fitted with them. When I bought my car I knew going into it that I'd be having to pay to play. Not having the tools in my opinion is a risk. I'm often with my friends diving in the middle of nowhere in the mountains and if there was an issue it could easily cost this much towing the car to Porsche when something could be fixed much closer having the proper equipment. I like the idea of not having to worry about it while driving in places where I know they won't have the proper tools to deal with the centerlocks. If that's an issue for anyone they should avoid the centerlock brakes.
I agree with you that I would want to be able to change my own tire and would need my own set of tools. I remember my 1967 MG had center lock wheels but it came with a knock off wrench that was relatively small and I carried a rubber mallet in the trunk as well.

Back then, I guess we didn't worry as much about proper torque or whether a wheel could fall off, etc.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:17 AM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Hate the CLs, but absolutely love the PCCBs. Of course, it was a highly priced option when I ordered the car, but in the grand scheme of things (GSoT) they are a relative bargain when you consider that you can
(1) forget about having to do regular wheel and wheel well cleaning
(2) forget about buying brake pads for at least 100,000 miles
(3) get superior braking

The only maintenance item is to flush the fluids--I go with every other year, while your conditions may warrant more or less flushes.
Amen brotha!!! Love mine!
Old 10-01-2014, 01:45 AM
shellbmb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Hate the CLs, but absolutely love the PCCBs. Of course, it was a highly priced option when I ordered the car, but in the grand scheme of things (GSoT) they are a relative bargain when you consider that you can
(1) forget about having to do regular wheel and wheel well cleaning
(2) forget about buying brake pads for at least 100,000 miles
(3) get superior braking

The only maintenance item is to flush the fluids--I go with every other year, while your conditions may warrant more or less flushes.

So if the front PCCB rotors were replaced at 13k miles, how much track use do you think this car endured?
Old 10-01-2014, 03:23 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Well considering I just hit 65,000 miles on my original PCCB rotors.....probably quite a bit.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:14 PM
eviligloo
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by CrossThread
You had a center lock wheel fall off going 60 on the highway?
It was on another car. Not center lock wheels. It was a harrowing experience to regain control and skid to the side of the road. If there's even a chance of that happening with center lock wheels I wouldn't want to mess with it.

It's a more complicated process to get it right than a 5 lug so I personally wouldn't buy them.

Originally Posted by Swoody
You are going to have to elaborate on this one. What "stories" and "improper storage"???
I'm an idiot. I accidentally typed "improper storage" instead if "improper installation." These words are in no way similar.

You can search google to come up with experiences related to the center locks and improper installs.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:19 PM
Swoody
Racer

delete double post

Last edited by Swoody; 10-01-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:46 PM
Swoody
Racer

Hey typo's are just that! Improper install's are also just that. There is no way that can be attributed to it being a centerlock wheel. (I know about the GT3s having issues early on with centerlocks before the TSB was issued and torque/maintenance requirements re-written by Porsche, especially for tracked vehicles). Just yesterday I was listening to a guy tell a story about his wheel flying off on the hi-way and it was a 5 lug wheel (lug nuts came off). Probably same situation as yours coming off. If there was an ongoing problem and there was data to back up continuous failures/damage/injury caused by this, I am sure Porsche would have re-thought the continued use of this design long ago. (not that they are perfect but you can absorb only so many claims).
Old 10-01-2014, 03:52 PM
Para82
Race Car

Swoody that is one nice GTS, can you give us some *** shots?
Old 10-01-2014, 06:37 PM
Swoody
Racer

Face of an Angel, *** of a Pastry Chef!
Old 10-02-2014, 07:39 PM
Para82
Race Car

Old 10-03-2014, 12:42 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Looks like you've kept the stock center muffler or am I seeing things? Consider the Shark Works bypass pipes. Drastic difference in exhaust note for the better without anything obnoxious.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:45 PM
Swoody
Racer

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Looks like you've kept the stock center muffler or am I seeing things? Consider the Shark Works bypass pipes. Drastic difference in exhaust note for the better without anything obnoxious.
Sharky pipe is installed and I love it. This pic was taken before that though. Also installed the Numeric shifter and have a TPC racing DSC module on the way (looking forward to that!).
Old 10-03-2014, 11:38 PM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Swoody, did the full front lower lip and rear spoiler come as a factory extra or did you add them?
Old 10-04-2014, 01:16 PM
Swoody
Racer

Originally Posted by Old Guy
Hi Swoody, did the full front lower lip and rear spoiler come as a factory extra or did you add them?
Factory. Aerokit Cup $3640 option. I much prefer the look of a 2010+ GT3 rear spoiler and have been searching for one.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:48 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

PSE that come of GTS is very very tame in sound volume. Adding the Skary center pipes doesn't really add that much more sound.

Quick Reply: Looking at used GTS. PCCB/CL Good thing?