Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at used GTS. PCCB/CL Good thing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 12:28 PM
shellbmb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at used GTS. PCCB/CL Good thing?

New to forum and new to porsche and looking at 997.2's. Seems the GTS is one of the better equipped 997's out there and fits within my budget.

Most I see have the center-lock wheels which I don't think is a huge issue for me since I will hardly, if ever, be tracking it. But one in particular I'm looking at also has the PCCB and I don't know if I should look at those as an added bonus, or more of a headache and too much expense to maintain.

I've searched a lot and it seems that if I'm not tracking it, they should last a long time and provide the added benefit of less brake dust. Car has 17k miles on it.

Are the brake pads considerably more expensive? I know the rotors are, but I doubt I'd be replacing those during my ownership.

How much extra were these as an option? I don't want to pay a premium for them if I don't need them, but the car seems to be priced ok.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-28-2014, 12:43 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll see a lot of people on this forum specifically hunting cars without centre locks. Even the GT3 guys, especially the really experienced track guys, have a huge hate on for them. The require special and fairly pricy tools + special grease(messy) to install and re-install.

Bottom line with centre locks, you get a flat - you're probably flat bedding to the nearest Porsche dealer. Most shops won't be able to change out your tire. But from an aesthetic standpoint they are very nice.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:15 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

You'll have to search long and hard to find any shops that either have the tools and/or experience to change CL wheels. As an example, I've only been able to find one shop in the San Fran. Bay Area that has good, solid experience with CLs. So, for wheel changes, alignment, brake flush you'll likely be going to your local dealer - which may or may not be problematic depending on how far away from your dealer you live. And really, you probably want someone who knows what they are doing, and have done it many times with the proper tools because it would suck to have your wheel fly off if it were not installed and tightened properly.

Hopefully, if you get a flat, the tire sealant that comes with the car will let you limp to the closest dealer and, while I don't know for sure, it may wreck the TPMS sensor ($170).

If you can't live with CLs there is the option of converting to a lugged set up. I can't recall the exact cost but it would be somewhere between $2,000 and $4,000 (depending on who is doing the labor).

The brake pads for ceramic rotors can be found on-line (Suncoast) for ~$750 for a set of front and rears. For comparison, a set of pads for CLs with the stock rotors are ~350. I've read that a lot of track guys will take off the ceramic rotors and put on the non-ceramic version. A set of front and rear standard rotors can be found for ~$700 (compared to new ceramic rotors being ~$17,000). In the unlikely event you ruin the ceramics you could probably replace them with non-ceramic and be totally fine with their operation - I mean track guys are satisfied and they are harder on their brakes than you'd be just driving on the street.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:18 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Here is a good thread from the GT3 forum where some very knowledgeable people have chipped in on their experience with centre lock wheels.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...onversion.html
Old 09-28-2014, 06:05 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by shellbmb
I've searched a lot and it seems that if I'm not tracking it, they should last a long time and provide the added benefit of less brake dust.
I spent the morning cleaning my wheels and the thought that kept going through my head was 'I wish I had PCCB's
Old 09-28-2014, 06:31 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I love the big yellows but even with ceramics you're still going to be cleaning those wheels.

Last edited by Para82; 09-28-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:01 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
I spent the morning cleaning my wheels and the thought that kept going through my head was 'I wish I had PCCB's
A bit of an aside as a response to the comment about dust: Look at the other threads here about Hawk Ceramic pads. I've used them on three cars now and get very little dust and what there is isn't very visible on silver wheels (but I gather leaves a bit of gray on black wheels). The wheels barrels stay a lot cleaner as well, I now only clean mine maybe once every to two or three months where I used to clean them every couple of weeks (as a daily driver).
Old 09-28-2014, 09:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

I'd search out a car with the PCCB's and CL's.

The brakes and wheels are lighter so the car is more responsive which is just want one wants in a sports car.

Absent track usage the brakes should last forever, at least the rotors. Pads just half that long.

As for CL's and a flat, you are pretty much hosed even with studded wheels if you get a flat. If the plug kit you carry or the goop doesn't work you have to have the car flat bedded someplace to have the tire replaced, or tires if the wear is enough on the undamaged tire to warrant replacing it too.

If you want get the CL wrench and learn how to use it. Sometimes when my Turbo (or Boxster) gets a flat I 'll just remove the wheel at home and take it to a local tire shop to get the tire fixed if it can be fixed. IF not then the car goes the dealer for a new tires, sometimes two if as I covered above tire wear is enough the new tire's tread depth and the used tire's tread depth differ by 30%.

The dealer techs work on cars with PCCB's and CL's all the time. I watch them sometimes and they are careful so I would not have qualms about that.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:54 AM
patpetillo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was concerned about the PCCBs before I bought my car two years ago

I must say that I love this option. Besides the nice looking yellow calibers, there is little to none brake dust.

It is a $9k option new. I am glad that the previous owner did this
Old 09-29-2014, 11:13 AM
Swoody
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many flats can a guy get?? I have had exactly zero in the past 15 years. Finding a GTS w/o CL's is not going to be as easy as with...I have no issues with mine since I don't track it either. I am still thinking about buying the T-wrench and breaker bar just to have, but it is just not that big of a concern for me. They CLs look great & PCCBs for street use will last you forever. Go buy the car!!!
Old 09-29-2014, 12:15 PM
eviligloo
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts

Center locks look really cool HOWEVER personally I would not buy a car with center locks ever ever ever. If I want to swap out the wheels I don't want to have to find a buddy to do it (you need someone to step on the brake pedal while you're doing it). I've heard stories of wheels falling off because of improper install. As someone that's had a wheel fall off while going 60mph on a highway (it was a non center locking wheel) it is not fun.

Finding a GTS without center locks is impossible. They only made about 325 GTS coupes in 2011 and 300 in 2012 (in the US that is). Finding one with the transmission you want and without center locks will be impossible.

Meanwhile the PCCB's wouldn't be as much of a concern for me in comparison.

Last edited by eviligloo; 10-01-2014 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Edited to clarify.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:44 PM
MarcoRemius
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
For comparison, a set of pads for CLs with the stock rotors are ~350.
Depends on what you buy. Most of the aggressive pads for the 911 will still run you close to $700 for use with the standard rotors.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:18 PM
beden1
Pro

Originally Posted by eviligloo
Center locks look really cool HOWEVER personally I would not buy a car with center locks ever ever ever. If I want to swap out the wheels I don't want to have to find a buddy to do it (you need someone to step on the brake pedal while you're doing it). I've heard stories of wheels falling off because of improper storage. As someone that's had a wheel fall off while going 60mph on a highway it is not fun.

Finding a GTS without center locks is impossible. They only made about 325 GTS coupes in 2011 and 300 in 2012 (in the US that is). Finding one with the transmission you want and without center locks will be impossible.

Meanwhile the PCCB's wouldn't be as much of a concern for me in comparison.
Makes me feel good about my GTS with 5 lug wheels and MT.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:44 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Originally Posted by Swoody
How many flats can a guy get??
Well I don't think it's about how many...it's about the one flat you'll get at the most inopportune time and in the worst possible place. If it's not something you're worried about dealing with then the centre locks are not an issue. For instance if you only really drive the car in the city it's not an issue for you. But try getting your tire changed over at Zeke's Bait & Tire Shack, and you're out of luck. One could argue you wouldn't want Zeke installing any tire for you but at least you have the option. You might choose to exercise the Zeke option if you're in the middle of a vacation with the wife and the alternative is to flat bed the car 200 miles in a different direction. Center locks just take away options, that's all.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:05 PM
BobDyl
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely do a search to find a dozen detailed threads on the subject. Here's my take: the GTS was one of the best 911s ever built, in some ways it is the perfect compromise between a street and track car. It is incredibly fun to drive. It is *relatively* rare compared to the vast number of 997s built (search this too).

Unless you are an absolute track junkie (and if you are, look long and hard the 997.1 GT3 which all came with 5-lugs), don't let centerlocks or PCCBs sway you either way. If you like the GTS, by all means get one!

Quick Reply: Looking at used GTS. PCCB/CL Good thing?