Sponsored by:

Odd spoiler behavior

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 02:08 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Odd spoiler behavior

Okay, since since getting the car a few months ago, there have been maybe a couple of times where I've parked the car, gotten out, and noticed my spoiler was up (didn't retract). When I would start the car up at that point, the raise spoiler light (on the switch) was on, as if I'd manually raised it (without remembering doing so).

Typically this has happened at times where I did a lot of low speed driving, in warm weather -- using the car to move items between two spots located half a mile apart. I definitely did not exceed 70mph...

Something worth having the dealer look into? Hard to know the way in which they could even do so -- since it doesn't show an error and so far as I've seen, the spoiler raises and lowers (usually) just fine. I can manually raise and lower it fine too (I've checked, no issues).

Any insights are appreciated!

Thanks
Old 09-17-2014, 02:17 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

They replaced my motor not long after I purchased it a 2009 Carrera S. No big but do it now. Had my Electrolux over with broiler issue's and waited too long and then out of warranty and know repair cost is up to $500.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:26 PM
PTParks
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
Okay, since since getting the car a few months ago, there have been maybe a couple of times where I've parked the car, gotten out, and noticed my spoiler was up (didn't retract). When I would start the car up at that point, the raise spoiler light (on the switch) was on, as if I'd manually raised it (without remembering doing so).

Typically this has happened at times where I did a lot of low speed driving, in warm weather -- using the car to move items between two spots located half a mile apart. I definitely did not exceed 70mph...

Something worth having the dealer look into? Hard to know the way in which they could even do so -- since it doesn't show an error and so far as I've seen, the spoiler raises and lowers (usually) just fine. I can manually raise and lower it fine too (I've checked, no issues).

Any insights are appreciated!

Thanks
The spolier also activates if the engine bay temperature exceeds a certain amount (don't remember the temp), but I wouldn't think your short trip would generate that much heat, unless you are driving the whole distance at redline in 1st gear!!
Old 09-17-2014, 08:12 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

If you activate the spoiler manually I believe it stays up until the next time you drive the car and reach the correct auto deployment speed and then drop below it.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:04 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

If your spoiler is up while the car is sitting still in your driveway. Press the button that controls the spoiler. Once the light is on, press and hold the spoiler button until the light goes out--it stays lit while it is stowing the spoiler. Once it is fully retracted the light will go out.

When I plan to wash my car, I press the spoiler manual override button (light comes on) and I shut down the car. I wash the car with the tail up so I can get to all that stuff, and then do the steps above to stow it.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:46 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Thanks all. I've manually raised/lowered the spoiler in the past -- the strange thing in these couple of instances is I don't remember doing so... I will pay closer attention and see what happens.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:12 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Originally Posted by PTParks
The spolier also activates if the engine bay temperature exceeds a certain amount (don't remember the temp), but I wouldn't think your short trip would generate that much heat, unless you are driving the whole distance at redline in 1st gear!!
I vote for this one. If it's a hot day and you're sitting in stop and go traffic, the spoiler may lift to get extra cooling air in and to let heat out. I would think it would lower back down when turning off the car though (mine does after it has been up because of temperature and not speed) and then parked it just runs the cooling fan.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:18 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

I've heard about the spoiler deploying when the engine exceeds a certain temp but I have not ever noticed this happening with my '09 C2. Of course I can't see it happen from the driver's seat but I've never reached the house after driving in city traffic (when it would be running the hottest) and noticed the spoiler up without me having deployed it with the button.

If it's deploying at low speeds without you depressing the button, AND you're noticing the spoiler deployed light on the switch on a re-start--well, both of these actions are a malfunction. Even if you had accidentally pushed the spoiler button when you drove the car earlier, when you shut down and restart, the light should not still be on and the spoiler should stow itself when you exceed 15 or 20mph. Like Sport mode, manual spoiler activation cancels on a re-start. To get it back, you have to push the button again.

If you're sure you're not accidentally hitting the button, I would suspect a malfunction at the switch first, then go from there.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:51 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Iceter
I've heard about the spoiler deploying when the engine exceeds a certain temp but I have not ever noticed this happening with my '09 C2. Of course I can't see it happen from the driver's seat but I've never reached the house after driving in city traffic (when it would be running the hottest) and noticed the spoiler up without me having deployed it with the button.

If it's deploying at low speeds without you depressing the button, AND you're noticing the spoiler deployed light on the switch on a re-start--well, both of these actions are a malfunction. Even if you had accidentally pushed the spoiler button when you drove the car earlier, when you shut down and restart, the light should not still be on and the spoiler should stow itself when you exceed 15 or 20mph. Like Sport mode, manual spoiler activation cancels on a re-start. To get it back, you have to push the button again.

If you're sure you're not accidentally hitting the button, I would suspect a malfunction at the switch first, then go from there.
Okay, thanks. I will get the dealer to check it out.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:35 PM
RCMA991
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suggest you get it in to your dealer. Not saying you have the same issue (links below) but its appearing that some TTS models have mechanical malfunctions after a scan to reset codes. Unless its operator error; which I doubt

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...d-working.html
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...r-surveys.html
Old 10-23-2014, 12:38 PM
flat666
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hows your battery condition? Spoilers are one of the first things to act up (for whatever reason) when voltage drops low enough to confuse computers. If its weak, or accesories are being left on in between the short trips, cranking may drag down system voltage enough to cause that.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:45 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Thanks RCMA and flat666 (and welcome to the forum!)

It has happened twice over about 2.5k miles of driving (and both times following short "stop and go" type trips). I will check battery but I haven't seen any evidence of computer glitches or odd behavior in anything else. Car typically gets driven only on weekends and no issues with starting either or running PCM / systems without engine on.

I'm having the dealer look into it anyways -- would feel dumb if I somehow manually caused it!
Old 10-24-2014, 02:33 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Me thinks it's spoiler related. Even with a hot engine compartment, the engine management system will routinely run the fan within the tail but not raise the spoiler. (The spoiler isn't necessary to optimize cooling air flow.) It does help when the vehicle is in motion, however.

Quick Reply: Odd spoiler behavior