Sponsored by:

Valuation of 2009 Carerra?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 04:44 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexKeyWest
I was a used car dealer in NJ from 1993 to 2003. I wholesaled about 3000 cars a year. My personal experience is different than yours
That's fantastic. I'm all conjecture, I've never worked at a car dealership. If you have real life experience behind the scenes, spill the beans.

How much did you markup cars? Was it always the same percentage? Was it variable based on each car? Was there slimmer margins on common cars like a Camry or Accord? Larger margins on a Lambo because it may sit longer and the market is a lot smaller?
Old 09-18-2014, 06:01 PM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
That's fantastic. I'm all conjecture, I've never worked at a car dealership. If you have real life experience behind the scenes, spill the beans.
3Series, I'm not trying to 'get on you' but I want to see the definition of conjecture.

Conjecture: the formation or expression of an opinion or theory without sufficient evidence for proof.

As I've said before, unless you can provide some proof to your statements (i.e. wholesale price is low 40's for a 997.2) you're just providing misleading information on this forum. This misleading info will just hurt other potential buyers who will think that the 911 they are trying to buy is worth less based on your 'conjecture'.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:21 PM
ropo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's what AlexKeyWest had posted earlier: "For example Manheim MMA's $49,500 2009 auction price has an estimated $53,500 retail. Crappy %, decent $."
I would think one could conclude his experience was that making $4K flipping a car was satisfactory to the dealership.
Again, all in line with the Mannheim auctions.
If I'm not mistaken, 3Series, reading over another thread, you are looking at a 2009 base car for $54K.
Fliippantly suggesting (if that's what you are doing) "low 40s" as a wholesale price does indeed do a disservice to those here seeking information.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:11 PM
marriotm
Instructor

No need for conjecture or doing a disservice, the reality with anyone who has any real experience with buying and selling cars (especially P-cars) is that you almost never get what you think it is worth. Ultimately dealers need to make their profit so they can pay rent, salaries and interest to the bank to finance their stock while they wait for someone to buy their cars. Private deals are fraught with risk and if you are in a sales-tax state like NY, you save almost 9% by trading it in to a dealer. Your loving ownership, including waxing every week, servicing only at the dealership counts for almost nothing. Options even less.

The reverse is of course true with being the buyer. Every option is revered as special. The 3M bra is treated like the holy grail. The twice a decade oil change is referred to as meticulously maintained. The worn bolster seat is careful prior ownership. The gouged leather has "patina". The list goes on and on.

The stark reality is that you almost always pay more than you can sell it at. You also usually get what you pay for, so if there are ten cars for sale at $55k and you find one for $47.5k there is usually a good reason.

Keep the faith!
Old 09-18-2014, 10:46 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by wardrive
3Series, I'm not trying to 'get on you' but I want to see the definition of conjecture.

Conjecture: the formation or expression of an opinion or theory without sufficient evidence for proof.

As I've said before, unless you can provide some proof to your statements (i.e. wholesale price is low 40's for a 997.2) you're just providing misleading information on this forum. This misleading info will just hurt other potential buyers who will think that the 911 they are trying to buy is worth less based on your 'conjecture'.
Exactly.....which is why the endless "price check" threads are next to useless imo. No matter how fair of a price someone says they're thinking about paying, they're overpaying according to someone else. Never fails. There's always an expert negotiator/analyst who has to outdo everyone else on price. If I had paid even scant attention to price check threads I'd still be looking for my first 997.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:34 AM
ropo
Intermediate

You are best to just take these threads for what they are, opinions. Some opinions based on logic and experience, others based on "conjecture".
From what I have gathered here, the price of the 997.2 seems to be on an upswing and Mannheim's sold one for $49,500 w a suggested retail of $53,500. Seems validated by what many have said.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:59 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by marriotm
No need for conjecture or doing a disservice, the reality with anyone who has any real experience with buying and selling cars (especially P-cars) is that you almost never get what you think it is worth. Ultimately dealers need to make their profit so they can pay rent, salaries and interest to the bank to finance their stock while they wait for someone to buy their cars. Private deals are fraught with risk and if you are in a sales-tax state like NY, you save almost 9% by trading it in to a dealer. Your loving ownership, including waxing every week, servicing only at the dealership counts for almost nothing. Options even less.

The reverse is of course true with being the buyer. Every option is revered as special. The 3M bra is treated like the holy grail. The twice a decade oil change is referred to as meticulously maintained. The worn bolster seat is careful prior ownership. The gouged leather has "patina". The list goes on and on.

The stark reality is that you almost always pay more than you can sell it at. You also usually get what you pay for, so if there are ten cars for sale at $55k and you find one for $47.5k there is usually a good reason.

Keep the faith!
Who is this guy? Does he know nothing about Internet forum posting guidelines? It is a well-reasoned, thoughtful, eloquently written statement with proper grammar and correct spelling. It obviously does not belong here.

Seriously, you know, +1. What he said. Etc. Nicely done sir.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:36 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

I'm not sure why you are so concerned about others being mislead. There are many factors that affect a trade-in value. My opinion is my opinion.

What do you think this car would auction for?

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...82189674&Log=0

It's a new listing being retailed at $45,981. White PDK, with 50k miles.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:54 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

I hear ya. I'm conjecturing about how car dealers work with markups on trade-ins and used cars.

I'm using logic for the 997.2 pricing. I hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Valuation of 2009 Carerra?