Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I like you opinion on a new Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 09:23 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

USMC_DS1.... You are so correct about thenFVD systems. M&M builds these exhaust systems and is one of if not the best around.

Louis, you can't go wrong with FVD-M&M for exhaust parts.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:12 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis de Funes
thank you so much for all the feedback and information you all have provided me.

I appreciate this
It's all personal preference and there's no right answer. I like brunettes, you like blondes. See if you can listen to them in person if at all possible as YouTube videos can be misleading. For me, with a 997.2 S with stock exhaust it literally transformed the car. Now, it sounds like it looks. : )

Good luck!
Old 09-10-2014, 11:56 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 456 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by CAA
Now, it sounds like it looks. : )
I wonder why Porsche doesn't make their cars sound more aggressive. Doesn't sound a whole lot different from a Hyundai with some mods.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:29 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
I wonder why Porsche doesn't make their cars sound more aggressive.
Governmental sound requirements - especially tough in Europe.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:48 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

My brother has PSE on his car, '10 4S PDK, with the Shark Works crossover pipe, deleting the center muffler. It was a pretty easy install, took about 45 minutes, and it sounds terrific. The benefit of the PSE is that you can still leave it in quiet mode and it is still quiet. Open the PSE up and the car sounds terrific. Best bang for the buck. I have PSE on my car, '10 4S speed, and wish I could slip a Shark Works pipe in there but my wife would have a fit as it is her daily driver and she does not want ti to be that loud.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:52 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Governmental sound requirements - especially tough in Europe.
jhbrennan is correct. Here is link to a thread that both jh and I contributed to that touches on this over on 6speed: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ed-cutout.html. My post (#6) gives some links to additional info.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:34 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

I tried most of the exhausts mentioned and LOVED the Fister. To me it was the system that sounded the most like a Porsche should. It's $300 from Fister and if you don't like them they will sell fast in the marketplace.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:02 PM
BED997
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

thank you so much for all the feedback and information you all have provided me.

I appreciate this
If you decide on a TUV approved from FVD, let us know. I've been hunting around to see a video on what this sounds like on a 997.1S.

http://www.fvd.net/us/en/Porsche-0/9...d_Version.html
Old 09-11-2014, 05:28 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 456 Likes on 295 Posts

Thanks for the link on the sound issues, wasn't aware of those European regs.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:10 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

the system you linked to is the one that I like. What I like most is the TUV approval. Being German I know how strict TUV approval is and I think this translates into good quality.

thanks for your feedback
You're welcome Louis and GL with the exhaust upgrade. BTW, you're absolutely right about TUV. It is one of the most difficult safety and quality certifications to secure due to the stringent requirements. Far more difficult than CE, UL, etc. I used to secure these types of certifications when I was an OEM manufacturing engineer for a server systems manufacturer many years ago. We needed the TUV rating to sell our products in Germany and many other countries. It's telling that FVD(M&M) has this cert. Also comforting that FVD is HQ'd out of Freiburg, German ~200Km from Stuttgart.

Originally Posted by BED997
If you decide on a TUV approved from FVD, let us know. I've been hunting around to see a video on what this sounds like on a 997.1S.

http://www.fvd.net/us/en/Porsche-0/9...d_Version.html
I have to agree with many here that sound is purely subjective. Notice how most everyone likes their own exhaust note including myself. Near impossible to form an accurate opinion unless you can listen to the exhaust in person, drive the car over an extended period, be driven as a passenger in the car, and have your family members participate as well. FWIW, this is an old clip of my exhaust but in person it's a whole different perspective... this video actually makes it sound tamer than it really is. The 1st 8:30 minutes is just starting up the cold engine, some idle, then cruising around the neighborhood. Afterwards it's some high revs through the hill country. I should video a few passengers and/or those I let drive the car... we're typically laughing all the way along those canyon runs.

Maybe we could all have an exhaust sound off day in Austin during the F1 at COTA.

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 09-11-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:54 PM
9114Scab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
You're welcome Louis and GL with the exhaust upgrade. BTW, you're absolutely right about TUV. It is one of the most difficult safety and quality certifications to secure due to the stringent requirements. Far more difficult than CE, UL, etc. I used to secure these types of certifications when I was an OEM manufacturing engineer for a server systems manufacturer many years ago. We needed the TUV rating to sell our products in Germany and many other countries. It's telling that FVD(M&M) has this cert. Also comforting that FVD is HQ'd out of Freiburg, German ~200Km from Stuttgard.

I have to agree with many here that sound is purely subjective. Notice how most everyone likes their own exhaust note including myself. Near impossible to form an accurate opinion unless you can listen to the exhaust in person, drive the car over an extended period, be driven as a passenger in the car, and have your family members participate as well. FWIW, this is an old clip of my exhaust but in person it's a whole different perspective... this video actually makes it sound tamer than it really is. The 1st 8:30 minutes is just starting up the cold engine, some idle, then cruising around the neighborhood. Afterwards it's some high revs through the hill country. I should video a few passengers and/or those I let drive the car... we're typically laughing all the way along those canyon runs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbDdusUZau0

Maybe we could all have an exhaust sound off day in Austin during the F1 at COTA.

Always nice to see the Vets enjoying the Porsche hobby. Does anybody deserve a Porsche more than those guys(gals) ???

I think not.

Nice exhaust--badass.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:42 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 9114Scab
Always nice to see the Vets enjoying the Porsche hobby. Does anybody deserve a Porsche more than those guys(gals) ???

I think not.

Nice exhaust--badass.
Thank you for the patriotism. And a Semper Fi to those brave souls currently defending our way of life...

Quick Reply: I like you opinion on a new Exhaust System