Sponsored by:

GT3 Suspension into a C2S?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 07:15 PM
GixxerGino
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 Suspension into a C2S?

Ok, so I am swapping the GT3 suspension into my C2S.

I know Tom-TPC Racing has done this, anybody else?

I think this is what I need:
*PASM extension cables
*Front upper spring hats
*Shock body sleeves

I am not sure, needing help?

Thanks,
Gino
Old 08-29-2014, 10:28 PM
steve0827
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 71 Posts

Wish I could help, but I have no idea either.

Would love to see how this turns out. Do you have a .1 or a .2?
Old 08-29-2014, 11:12 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

When I was thinking of doing the same thing I learned there is way too much stuff to change over and just going the Bilstein B16 Damptronics for PASM was less money for probably a better handling set up. The Bilsteins look just like the GT3 coil overs and are height adjustable too. The GT3 stock coil overs are from Bilstein too.

You probably need a GT3 PASM control module so that the GT3 PASM shocks work....the Carrera PASm Control Module is a different animal. Also not sure it you can just plug and play either as the Carrera S and GT3 ECU is different and swapping PASM Control modules for plug and play will not work. Also not positive but I was told the GT3 coil over will not mount to your Carrera uprights.

If you do figure all this out please take photo's and list the parts you had to swap out and any extra ECU programming to get everything talking to each other.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:17 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Move whole stock gt3 suspension makes sense if you got it free as a take off. If you have to pay close to retail for parts it makes no sense. RSA Tarmac LCAs, upper gt3 mounts, then either damptronics or jrz shocks - that is enough. You can add fron adjustable fork arms, rear dogbones and rear toe arms with solid steel monoballs at any time.
Uprights, brakes and other stuff - i do not think it is worth to do at all.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:06 AM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 260 Posts

My friend just installed a GT3 coilovers set on his 2006 C2S and it's working flawless. No cells or any problem. It just a bolt on part with the mounting kit. The kit comes with the extension PASM cable and the sleeves to mount the front shocks. He loves it!!!!
Old 08-30-2014, 12:30 AM
Carrera997re
Instructor

Originally Posted by Robocop305
My friend just installed a GT3 coilovers set on his 2006 C2S and it's working flawless. No cells or any problem. It just a bolt on part with the mounting kit. The kit comes with the extension PASM cable and the sleeves to mount the front shocks. He loves it!!!!
Would be great if it swapped into the c2s. The stance and the performance is solid on the gt cars.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:22 AM
GixxerGino
Instructor

Question

Like I stated in my first post, Tom@ TPC racing has already done this with no CEL's or issues what so ever, but unfortunately I cannot get a hold of him...

Robocop bought Toms old suspension, and there are the 3 parts that I know for sure I need.
*PASM extension cables
*Front upper spring hats
*Shock body sleeves

I was hoping someone can guide me on where to get them or maybe if there was a company who made a retrofit kit?

I'm really surprised that more people haven't done this mod. A lot of GT3 owners upgrade there suspension and get rid of there OEM stuff, and I think it is a great upgrade for a C2 or C2S. Especially if you do not track the car very often and still want to keep the PASM. The GT3's come with Bilstein and are also adjustable, Plus they are OEM. Another positive in my book!
Old 08-30-2014, 10:35 AM
mk3boy
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i installed damptronics a few mths ago. Should of installed gt3 coils instead. The damptronics coils are spun way down. 0 threads to go after corner balancing
Old 08-30-2014, 10:42 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I assumed you would need the GT3 uprights?

What are these "sleeves" used to mount the front shocks?
Old 08-30-2014, 07:42 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Good to know...thanks! What does this kit contain? I was told by a few the GT3 PASM coilovers would not talk to the Carrera PASM Control Module. The dealer told me this... Hummm....
Old 08-31-2014, 01:32 PM
GixxerGino
Instructor

We really need TOM@TPC racing to chime in considering he is the one who has done this...

Robocop305 got the kit from TOM and then sold it to his buddy.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:38 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Tag... interesting topic.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:27 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 514 Posts

Hey guys. Sorry I've been MIA. It has been sooo busy at the shop that I've been working crazy hours without even lunch breaks. And have a lot of family stuff going on this weekend I have no time to myself except for writing a reply while waiting for my gf to try on a dress at a store!

Anyway, you can absolutely install GT3 PASM shocks/springs on a 997.1 and .2 with PASM. The GT3 PASM shocks will work just as well with the carrera PASM box. You'll need sleeve adaptors, PASM cable extensions, and some kind of upper mount(gt3 type top plates or bilstein spring adaptors) for the front shocks. Rears are direct bolt on. I had this set up on my previous car , 07 carrera s, I drove it on street and track for 2 years with no problems. I also had TPC sway bars, TPC rear toe links, and stiffer springs.

If you're using gt3 front uprights then you don't need sleeve adaptors. But they cost too much money so I didn't do it. Plus you'll need to change brakes to match the offset of the upright...serious money! Gt3 control arms & shims are required only if you want more negative camber. For street cars I'd just use the stock control arms to keep the cost down.

All PASM boxes(control modules) of this generation cars are semi-active. TPC offers DSC boxes if you are looking for fully active function. DSC works on 997 carrera, s, 4s, turbo, gt3 and gt2 to make the valving on any PASM shocks better by a vast amount.

The bilstein damptronic for carrera/S have front shock bodies that are larger diameter for the larger bore of the carrera/S front uprights. They come with 70mm ID springs instead of 60mm. And the thread pitch for adjustment is coarser than gt3.

Signing out for now, she's coming out of dressing room.

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 09-01-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:53 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
I was told by a few the GT3 PASM coilovers would not talk to the Carrera PASM Control Module. The dealer told me this... Hummm....
She's trying on another dress...

That is not true. All PASM shocks of the 997 generation respond to the same signal from the PASM box(control module). The communication from the PASM box is only one way; there's no return signal back to the box. However if a shock is not connected via the connector or has internal electronic failure to create an open circuit the box with generate a fault code. I know this because TPC has dyno tested a number of stock PASM shocks and bilstein damptronics. They all perform about the same with the same input signal. The springs that are packaged makes the cars behave differently. That's why having control over the signal to the PASM shocks is a game changer for us.
The following users liked this post:
gutenfreibier (02-14-2023)
Old 08-31-2014, 06:07 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

In fact, you can install PASM shocks on a car and not even connect the connectors to anything. The shocks will default to full stiff without signal/power. Can definitely get away with this for street if you are willing to put up with the harsh ride over bumps but will definitely not have optimum tire grip for track.

Quick Reply: GT3 Suspension into a C2S?