GT3 Suspension into a C2S?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 06:09 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
She's trying on another dress...

That is not true. All PASM shocks of the 997 generation respond to the same signal from the PASM box(control module). The communication from the PASM box is only one way; there's no return signal back to the box. However if a shock is not connected via the connector or has internal electronic failure to create an open circuit the box with generate a fault code. I know this because TPC has dyno tested a number of stock PASM shocks and bilstein damptronics. They all perform about the same with the same input signal. The springs that are packaged makes the cars behave differently. That's why having control over the signal to the PASM shocks is a game changer for us.
Thanks Tom, I was miss informed my 2 dealers, 1 parts department and a independent Porsche race shop. This is cool info to know.

I ended up using Bilstein Damptronics and have been happy with them.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:28 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 944 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I assumed you would need the GT3 uprights?

What are these "sleeves" used to mount the front shocks?
GT3 uprights are not required if you have sleeve adaptors. But you could do GT3 uprights if you have lots of cash. And you'll also need GT3 brakes too because the GT3 uprights offset for the calipers and rotors are different from Carrera S. Been down that road before my friend... It was easier and much cheaper for me to use sleeve adaptors. There is performance advantage by using GT3 uprights but likely none that is noticeable from a track day enthusiast or car club DE level.

Sleeves are tubes that slip over the shock body to increase the diameter. For example, the GT3 shocks are 3mm diameter smaller than Carrera S shocks so you'll need sleeves with 1.5mm wall to build up the diameter so that the uprghts will clamp on to the shocks properly.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 08-31-2014, 07:47 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GixxerGino
Robocop bought Toms old suspension, and there are the 3 parts that I know for sure I need.
*PASM extension cables
*Front upper spring hats
*Shock body sleeves

I'm really surprised that more people haven't done this mod. A lot of GT3 owners upgrade there suspension and get rid of there OEM stuff, and I think it is a great upgrade for a C2 or C2S. Especially if you do not track the car very often and still want to keep the PASM. The GT3's come with Bilstein and are also adjustable, Plus they are OEM. Another positive in my book!
Yes those are the three items that you need for the front.

PASM cables:
The PASM extension cables are expensive and hard to come by so you could just extend the existing cables using the name gauge electrical wire. There are two wires per cable. I would suggest soldering over using spade or crimp connectors.

Front upper hats:
If you are transferring GT3 shocks & springs to your stock Carrera/S upper mounts I have billet aluminum hats to make this adaptation possible. The other options is to spend more money to buy GT3-type spherical bearing top plates, with racing-type spring hats and associated hardware. These top plates, spring hats, and hardware are available from Porsche or aftermarket source.

Sleeves:
Must have for the fronts in order for the GT3 shocks to fit properly on Carrera/S uprights. Unless you buy GT3 uprights and brakes to go with the shocks.

Keep in mind that stock GT3 shocks & springs have their short comings too, even though they are a little bit more performance oriented than Carrera/S. Trust me on this one. If not, just read the GT3 section of the forum... It is nice to have the threaded body for ride adjustment though. To give you an idea, a Carrera/S will run better lap times with stock shocks & springs using TPC sway bars, DSC, and adjustable rear toe links versus a Carrera/S with .1 or .2 GT3 shocks & springs and everything else stock. We're talking same tires and same alignment specs.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:52 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mdrums
Thanks Tom, I was miss informed my 2 dealers, 1 parts department and a independent Porsche race shop. This is cool info to know.

I ended up using Bilstein Damptronics and have been happy with them.
You're welcome.

If you end up wanting to change springs you could buy metric size springs from Swift or do what I do, which is turn the size of the perches down on a lathe to use the more readily available 2.25" or 2.5" ID springs.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:59 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Tom... very informative. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:25 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

You're welcome.

If you end up wanting to change springs you could buy metric size springs from Swift or do what I do, which is turn the size of the perches down on a lathe to use the more readily available 2.25" or 2.5" ID springs.
Thanks good info...but...I'm putting the stock sport suspension back on probably this winter and selling the Bilstein Damptronics because I don't think I'm keeping my GTS...probably going to be looking into another car next summer.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:46 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Tom... very informative. Thanks for sharing.
No problem. We discovered all this by testing, swapping parts, and exploring the limits on 8 different 997 platform cars (05 Carrera S, 07 Carrera S, 07 GT3 and RS, 07 Turbo, 08 GT2, 09 Carrera S, and 11 GT3 RS) to find all possible applications for our DSC program. It has been and still is a very interesting journey.

Edit: That would be 10 cars not 8. Forgot about the 10 Turbo and the 10 GT3.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:51 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

GT3 uprights are not required if you have sleeve adaptors. But you could do GT3 uprights if you have lots of cash. And you'll also need GT3 brakes too because the GT3 uprights offset for the calipers and rotors are different from Carrera S. Been down that road before my friend... It was easier and much cheaper for me to use sleeve adaptors. There is performance advantage by using GT3 uprights but likely none that is noticeable from a track day enthusiast or car club DE level.

Sleeves are tubes that slip over the shock body to increase the diameter. For example, the GT3 shocks are 3mm diameter smaller than Carrera S shocks so you'll need sleeves with 1.5mm wall to build up the diameter so that the uprghts will clamp on to the shocks properly.
Excelent!
What i am wondering is if you can do this to a 2007-2009 turbo? If so, do you sell the sleeves?
I have a garage full of GT3 suspension that I would like to use on a 997 turbo.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:04 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Excelent! What i am wondering is if you can do this to a 2007-2009 turbo? If so, do you sell the sleeves? I have a garage full of GT3 suspension that I would like to use on a 997 turbo.
I'll look into it next week. The turbo and c4 have front uprights that position the front shocks at negative castor angle in order to clear the front drive shafts. I have some negative castor angled spring hats but they were made for 70mm ID springs. I'm sure we can come up with a combo to adapt your GT3 shocks but you'll have to change front springs because the turbo/c4 upper mounts won't allow for smaller ID springs and hats. You would want to change front springs anyway because the turbo is too nose heavy for GT3 front springs especially if they are .1 springs!

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 08-31-2014 at 09:19 PM. Reason: added last sentence re: springs
Old 09-02-2014, 05:02 PM
GixxerGino
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Thanks Tom!

I knew this was possible, I just needed you to get my back..
Old 09-02-2014, 05:30 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

Tom, could you elaborate on the DSC boxes? Is this something one can plug into their existing PASM and have it perform differently? First I've heard of this. Thanks!
Old 09-02-2014, 09:33 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GixxerGino
Thanks Tom!

I knew this was possible, I just needed you to get my back..
You are welcome Sir!
Old 09-02-2014, 09:38 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

I'll look into it next week. The turbo and c4 have front uprights that position the front shocks at negative castor angle in order to clear the front drive shafts. I have some negative castor angled spring hats but they were made for 70mm ID springs. I'm sure we can come up with a combo to adapt your GT3 shocks but you'll have to change front springs because the turbo/c4 upper mounts won't allow for smaller ID springs and hats. You would want to change front springs anyway because the turbo is too nose heavy for GT3 front springs especially if they are .1 springs!
I have Bilstein B16 Damptronics. Would that help?
Old 09-02-2014, 10:46 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by AWay
Tom, could you elaborate on the DSC boxes? Is this something one can plug into their existing PASM and have it perform differently? First I've heard of this. Thanks!
Sure. DSC is a direct plug-in replacement for the stock PASM box(control module). DSC stands for Dynamic Suspension Control, it is a fully active controller, whereas the stock PASM controller is semi-active. In the Carrera S, stock PASM Normal mode is too soft which causes the car to "float". And in Sport mode the ride is so stiff that it over loads the tire contact patch easily. DSC eliminates the floating and the harness over bump, greatly reduce excessive front drive under braking, and reduce body roll when cornering. All of this is achieved by DSC having much wider range of control over any stock PASM shocks or Bilstein Damptronic shocks.

For the 997.1 Carrera/S a 3-axis accelerometer is required. The .1 cars came equipped with 2-axis accelerometer. The .2 cars came with 3-axis.

Here are some reviews of DSC on street and track from other forums. Different cars but same working principles.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ension-12.html

http://www.planet-9.com/news-items/9...e-987-2-a.html

http://www.planet-9.com/news-items/9...987-2-a-5.html

I have installed DSC on a .1 Carrera (post #196) and on my .1 GT3(post # 204).
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...07-gt3-14.html

Edit: Sorry to go off topic here.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:02 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I have Bilstein B16 Damptronics. Would that help?
Do you have a set of B16 coilovers for a GT3 that you want to put on a Turbo?
Or do you have a set of OEM GT3 coilovers that you want to put on a Turbo that currently has B16's?

Quick Reply: GT3 Suspension into a C2S?