Sponsored by:

GTS Centerlocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 08:19 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

Thanks all. Think I'll just sit on these black ones for awhile. My initial impression was how bad (sick, good, whatever parlance) they looked. Then I thought maybe too much of a boy racer look for a 71-year old. I need to slow down. Hell, only had the car a week, and already looking to change the wheels, add the Shark Werks center muffler delete, and delete the rear seats! Anything else I should be thinking of?? . Oh, yeah, thinking of replacing the "Carrera GTS" script on the rear with "GTS" only.

Last edited by ltcjmramos; 08-19-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:17 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Joe, think about a nice set of aftermarket wheels from a top wheel maker like Forgeline, HRE, OZ, BBS,
Old 08-20-2014, 01:58 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Thanks all. Think I'll just sit on these black ones for awhile. My initial impression was how bad (sick, good, whatever parlance) they looked. Then I thought maybe too much of a boy racer look for a 71-year old. I need to slow down. Hell, only had the car a week, and already looking to change the wheels, add the Shark Werks center muffler delete, and delete the rear seats! Anything else I should be thinking of?? . Oh, yeah, thinking of replacing the "Carrera GTS" script on the rear with "GTS" only.
Initially, I was not sure about the black wheels either, but after living with the car for a while, I now really like them, especially since they have the silver rim. The black wheels are also part of the GTS package as shown on their Carrera, Cayenne, and now on the new Boxster and Cayman GTS models.

I'm no Porsche historian, but I've been seeing black wheels on Porsches for seemingly decades, so it's kind of iconic Porsche in my mind at least.

The only negative that I have is that they do take some effort to maintain. Especially when washing the car, the brake rotors rust, and then if the wheels are not completely dry, I get rust streaks all over the inside barrels which is a PITA to remove. They also show brake dust more than silver or gray wheels do. But, when clean and polished, they look really good, IMO.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:38 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,632 Likes on 2,315 Posts

71 is the new 31. you are a boy racer.
who are we kidding.

Originally Posted by mdrums
Joe, think about a nice set of aftermarket wheels from a top wheel maker like Forgeline, HRE, OZ, BBS,
i have bbs fetish. i have 9 sets. joe, you need some. i have silver gold red in my garage, not for sale, but you can come admire them
Old 08-20-2014, 07:04 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
71 is the new 31. you are a boy racer.
who are we kidding.

i have bbs fetish. i have 9 sets. joe, you need some. i have silver gold red in my garage, not for sale, but you can come admire them
Mooty has AT LEAST 2 of everything he owns. The only exception is his wife.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:10 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

What's the size and offset on the OEM wheels?

Found it: Front: 8.5 J x 19 ET 56 Rear: 11 J x 19 ET 51
Old 08-20-2014, 09:17 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

If it's not stamped on the wheel you should be able to find OEM sizes in the owner's manual.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:54 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Hell, only had the car a week, and already looking to change the wheels, add the Shark Werks center muffler delete, and delete the rear seats! Anything else I should be thinking of?? . Oh, yeah, thinking of replacing the "Carrera GTS" script on the rear with "GTS" only.
One thing about the rear seat delete: if it matters to you, and you have a passenger, you can drive in the HOV3 lanes and use the Carpool Fastrak lane at tolls around here. I can't recall the citation but if you modify your car into a two-seater, that is, it wasn't offered from the factory as a two-seater, you can't use the HOV3 lane (legally) - and the CHP knows this stuff, it is what they do. But the GTS was offered with a rear seat delete from the factory so, even though this option was not made available in the U.S. Market, if you remove the rear seats you still qualify as a legitimate two seater. (I keep a copy of the option list from PCNA in my glove box just in case but have not ever needed it.)
Old 08-20-2014, 12:56 PM
BobDyl
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Found it: Front: 8.5 J x 19 ET 56 Rear: 11 J x 19 ET 51
Be cautious when getting aftermarket centerlock wheels for the GTS. There are lots of pitfalls. Mdrums is definitely the fitment expert. I echo his advice: the top brands are generally safe (OZ, BBS) and Forgeline seems to be (now) fairly experienced with GTS fitments.

Also, imho, there have also been some unspeakable style crimes committed in the aftermarket. It's hard to find something as aesthetically pleasing, to me anyway, as the OEM RS Spyder wheels. But ... beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:36 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by BobDyl
Be cautious when getting aftermarket centerlock wheels for the GTS. There are lots of pitfalls. Mdrums is definitely the fitment expert. I echo his advice: the top brands are generally safe (OZ, BBS) and Forgeline seems to be (now) fairly experienced with GTS fitments.

Also, imho, there have also been some unspeakable style crimes committed in the aftermarket. It's hard to find something as aesthetically pleasing, to me anyway, as the OEM RS Spyder wheels. But ... beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Suncoast took my Forgelines off when they did the springs and said the fitment is every bit as good as OEM. Much lighter though and a more aggressive offset than stock bringing the wheel flush with the fenders.
Attached Images  
Old 08-20-2014, 06:51 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm sorely tempted to go the Forgeline route as I've used them for street and track wheels for 15-20 years, but I'm a bit parsimonious. I'd like to trade the wheels I have on now before shelling out another $6K for new ones only to have these OEM wheels gather dust in my garage. Asked what Wheel Enhancement can do for me, but no reply yet.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:43 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Suncoast took my Forgelines off when they did the springs and said the fitment is every bit as good as OEM. Much lighter though and a more aggressive offset than stock bringing the wheel flush with the fenders.
Best looking wheels on a 997 EVER!

Need to get you out to the track or autocross and let her stretch the legs!
Old 08-20-2014, 07:51 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Forgeline I had for a short time...had some manufacturing issues and returned them but they could make me another set in time for the DE's I had lined up. It was race season and they had race wheels to make I was told and it would be months before I got another set.
Attached Images  
Old 08-20-2014, 10:48 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Best looking wheels on a 997 EVER!

Need to get you out to the track or autocross and let her stretch the legs!
Getting there. Working too much and just need to find/make time for it. Got a fire bottle last week and saving up for a tow hook now
Old 08-20-2014, 11:15 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Tell you what...you can borrow my tow hook!

Quick Reply: GTS Centerlocks