Sponsored by:

15mm spacers - too much for rear

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 08:57 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

I run 15 in the rear and they are perfect but I have more camber which yours seems to not have at all. I believe there should be some camber to your rear wheels. The PO may have taken it all out to save his tires and that's why it looks that way
Old 12-15-2014, 12:01 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 414 Likes on 244 Posts

Little Green, that's an astute observation. You've got me wondering that, myself. If most of his camber was adjusted out, the tops of his tires would be poking out of the wheel well with 15mm spacers.

I have an additional question to throw into the mix. Increasing negative offset (moving the weel center out) moves the wheel center away from the axis of rotation at the spindle. Sometimes even minor changes to that relationship can cause weird handling and accellerated wear of the moving parts. I am curious to know just how much we can change the front offset before problems start to occur. Answering that might take the analysis of a dedicated suspension engineer, but it's definitely something to think about.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:16 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would venture to say that if most of us stood right next to our rear fenders and looked down you will notice the bottom part of the tire is significantly further out then the top part. My rears tuck in nicely into the wheel wells but the bottom of the tires are past the fenders. It's why we burn through tires so quickly and why our cars handle so well. Front geometry is not quite as severe as the rears.

Looking at the OP's initial pictures it looks like the tires are perfectly up and down and would be a great alignment for the average passenger car, not so much on the 997.

To your second question my understanding is that GT3's come with spacers from the factory. Although not exactly the same as the components used in our cars I imagine that a small spacer is fine, specially for street use.
If I was tracking my car all the time I probably would not use spacers.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:05 PM
dasael
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need help too...

I am a proud recent Porsche Owner, I have started with a '06 C2 with 40k. I want to change the stock tires and wheels. I bough this techart rims on the ebay website for reasonable price (I think) and now I need to purchase some tires and possible some spacers to make it look more bold.
Please let me know if you have any advice as far as the tires size and bran that I should acquire.
Here is also a pic of the rims.

Recenlty purchased 06' 911 C2
Attached Images  
Old 12-15-2014, 11:13 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would start a new thread regarding your new car. We like new car threads. Car looks nice as do the wheels.
They are probably 19" wheels. Standard OEM size tires will fit 235 up front and 295 out back. You can run 305's as well in the rear. I would not buy spacers until you fit the new wheels/tires on your car and then decide if you even need them.
A lot of aftermarket wheels have different backspacing than stock wheels.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:05 AM
dasael
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks a lot for your response, I will star a new thread on this, I also interested in upgrading to some gt3tek body kit.
Thanks again!
Old 12-16-2014, 08:19 AM
MY997
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Little Green
I would venture to say that if most of us stood right next to our rear fenders and looked down you will notice the bottom part of the tire is significantly further out then the top part. My rears tuck in nicely into the wheel wells but the bottom of the tires are past the fenders. It's why we burn through tires so quickly and why our cars handle so well. Front geometry is not quite as severe as the rears.

Looking at the OP's initial pictures it looks like the tires are perfectly up and down and would be a great alignment for the average passenger car, not so much on the 997.

To your second question my understanding is that GT3's come with spacers from the factory. Although not exactly the same as the components used in our cars I imagine that a small spacer is fine, specially for street use.
If I was tracking my car all the time I probably would not use spacers.
All great advise but why the last sentence? It seems when I go to Sebring that every track car (dedciated or not) has some type of spacers. And from what I have read "heck" you can order your new 911 with spacers from the factory and the only reason they don't come stock is some legal thing or snow chains??? Who knows??? All I know is spacers are always controversial from the standpoint of if they are good for your car or not...I think the key is moderation and anything done to the extreme will affect you car in some way...just my 2 cents...
Old 12-16-2014, 01:54 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think the standard 7/15 spacers are fine on the track. Some folks really run bigger spacers. I am comfortable running my set on the track but honestly anything bigger I would not run track laps on.
That being said some cup cars will run spacers but I am willing to bet they are running possibly better spacers and bolts. Just a guess.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:19 PM
bigozuk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Green
I believe there should be some camber to your rear wheels. The PO may have taken it all out to save his tires and that's why it looks that way
good observation - I think you might be right - my rear wheels look pretty straight vertically, so now I'm concerned someone has been playing with the wheel camber! might also explain why my fronts rub under full lock?
Old 12-16-2014, 06:44 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is a link to what appears to be the correct alignment values
https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme..._alignemnt.jpg

If your fronts do rub and they are set up like your rears it may be the cause specially with lower springs.
There is another thread on the front page or two about spacers with a white car that appears, to me, to have just about perfect camber.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:46 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

This looks correct to me

See how you can see the bottom but not the top of the tire in this lower shot. That's what mine look like.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:50 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Definitely looks like no negative camber on the front or rear wheels.

Quick Reply: 15mm spacers - too much for rear