Sponsored by:

How important is warranty on 2009 997 4S

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 03:42 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by ufischer
If it is a PDK, get the warranty. If I am not mistaken, 2009 was the first year of PDK so there were still some bugs to be ironed out. You don't hear much about bad PDKs but when something goes wrong, they have to replace the whole thing. The PDK on my 2009 4S Cab went bad a few months after I bought it. If I hadn't had a CPO warranty, it would have cost me $10K+. Instead I go a new transmission at no cost.
Same here. PDK crapped on my -09 C4S. Replacement cost was just shy of $13,000 covered 100% by extended warranty.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:33 AM
dcharnet
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I too wonder about the reliability of the PDK, and whether Porsche has made non-publicized small internal changes year to year since '09 to quietly improve reliability. Is a '14 PDK "better" than an '09? Does anyone know?
Old 08-01-2014, 09:37 AM
MY997
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW! Thanks everyone for all the great info...the following are a couple of thoughts and questions and I would appreciate any further info you can provide:

1) I keep reading PPI...a couple of things about that...if the car is certified would that not have included a PPI by the dealership as my understanding of the CPO process is that they do a complete inspection of the car and fix things like brakes, tires, etc...or is doesn't pass...also if I pursue a PPI..who would be authorized to do it other than a Porsche dealer and how much would i expect to pay?

2) Also I have seen some post about PDK problems...at what mileage have people had problems with the PDK on 2009 models because this car has 41K and it shifted like "I Stole it" when I test drove it...also I would think if there was a problem it would have happened and/or been dealt with by 41K miles???

Thanks again for any advice you can offer...
Old 08-01-2014, 09:40 AM
MY997
Racer

Originally Posted by JohnAMG
The Porsche and Mercedes are very reliable vehicles when properly maintained. My 2009 C4S PDK has 60K miles, dealer maintained since the day I bought it and no major issues. Wife's 2011 Mercedes GL550 67K miles and pretty much flawless. 2002 Mercedes E55 110K miles and still going strong without major issue. I don't baby my cars, I drive it all year round. I don't skim on service and follow the schedule maintenance religiously. All my vehicles are out of warranty and no plan to get them. The major repair are expensive and happens. But it is still cheaper to fix than spending another $100k fir a new car.

John
Thanks John for your honesty and info...I too would have the dealer maintian and stick to the service schedule...
Old 08-01-2014, 09:45 AM
MY997
Racer

Originally Posted by Mojo31
What is the "certified" warranty? It's not a CPO or it would be 2 years.
Good question and I plan to follow up with them about that today but I think it has to do with the year...meaning once cars get to a certain year they either don't quailify for a CPO or only portions (time wise) of them???

Having owned an '09 with PDK, I would not own it without a good warranty
Thanks and can u comment on what type of PDK problems and would I be wrong to assume at 41K miles that it has already been dealt with or is not going to be a problem???
Old 08-01-2014, 10:43 AM
Mojo31
Racer

Porsche's CPO warranty program works like this:

1. It can be issued on cars that are no older than "X" years and that meet certain criteria;
2. It is good for 2 years or 50,000 miles, up to a max of 100,000 miles on the odometer;
3. It is added to whatever is left of the original warranty;
4. Therefore, for a 2009 model, it would be either 2 years or 2 years plus whatever is left of the original 4 year warranty, if anything;
5. If the car is acquired by a Porsche dealer during the 2 year CPO period, the CPO warranty immediately ends; however, it can be re-certified for an additional 2 year warranty if it meets the criteria;
6. If the car ends up on the hands of any other dealer, the CPO warranty terminates even if not expired; and
7. The warranty is transferable from one consumer to another, but not from consumer to any type of auto dealer.

In your case, if a dealer is advertising a car with a "certified" warranty that is good only until May 2015 (less than a year), then it is not a Porsche Certified Pre-Owned warranty. Check this out carefully. If they are telling you that it is, then be careful as you will likely be surprised to find yourself with no warranty from the day you buy it.

It sounds like this dealer is offering you the dealer's "certified" warranty, which is only as good as the dealer. Are you sure this is a Porsche dealer? It doesn't sound like it to me.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:29 AM
MY997
Racer

It sounds like this dealer is offering you the dealer's "certified" warranty, which is only as good as the dealer. Are you sure this is a Porsche dealer? It doesn't sound like it to me.
Thanks for the info and yes...they are a very reputable Porsche dealer with a Motorsport (race) division and very active with local Porsche club. They also own a BMW and Audi dealership near by...very big. I will get the details of the warranty today!
Old 08-01-2014, 11:32 AM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by dcharnet
I too wonder about the reliability of the PDK, and whether Porsche has made non-publicized small internal changes year to year since '09 to quietly improve reliability. Is a '14 PDK "better" than an '09? Does anyone know?
The PDK transmission is solid. Most of the reported problems, which has been very few, revolves around the PDK external electronics. Since Porsche doesn't want (as of yet) for dealers to crack open the transmission in most cases they replace it. I was having issues with the transmission emergency run message on the dashboard. After some research I replaced the car battery and problem solved! PDK is one, or the best double clutch transmission on the market!
Old 08-01-2014, 12:25 PM
MY997
Racer

Originally Posted by MY997
Thanks for the info and yes...they are a very reputable Porsche dealer with a Motorsport (race) division and very active with local Porsche club. They also own a BMW and Audi dealership near by...very big. I will get the details of the warranty today!
Okay...does this sound correct...I just talked to the dealer and they said the "certified" on this car means they are offering the remainder of the CPO that was onthe car when they took it in...they are saying that by not recertifying it that keeps the cost down for the consumer but yet the car has a CPO warranty until 05/30/2015...Hmmm...sounds reasonable to me.

Also they said they will share their PPI as they had to do one to keep it a "Certified" car...does that sound correct??? And should I trust this?
Old 08-01-2014, 12:29 PM
MY997
Racer

Originally Posted by Robocop305
The PDK transmission is solid. Most of the reported problems, which has been very few, revolves around the PDK external electronics. Since Porsche doesn't want (as of yet) for dealers to crack open the transmission in most cases they replace it. I was having issues with the transmission emergency run message on the dashboard. After some research I replaced the car battery and problem solved! PDK is one, or the best double clutch transmission on the market!
Thanks for the info and would u agree that at 41K miles if there was going to be a problem it would have already shown up?

Reason being is this 997 shifted excellent (test drive) in all modes, Sport, Sport +, etc...and I would know if somehting felt weird as I am coming from a great transmission (8 speed) in the Lexus ISF...
Old 08-01-2014, 01:18 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

Okay...does this sound correct...I just talked to the dealer and they said the "certified" on this car means they are offering the remainder of the CPO that was onthe car when they took it in...they are saying that by not recertifying it that keeps the cost down for the consumer but yet the car has a CPO warranty until 05/30/2015...Hmmm...sounds reasonable to me.

Also they said they will share their PPI as they had to do one to keep it a "Certified" car...does that sound correct??? And should I trust this?
1.) I would get something in writing regarding the warranty. That doesn't sound right to me.

2.) Regarding PPI, ask for the checklist they use to certify a car and the checklist for PPI. A PPI has many variables becuase you can ask them to check and give an opinion about anything on the car.

Whoever is feeding you this info really wants to make a sale. They are on the verge of telling you anything to make you buy the car. I would not trust them.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:51 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

It's my understanding that once a CPO car is bought by a dealership CPO is ended. If it is a Porsche dealer they can re-CPO it. If an indy, then that's it, it's gone.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:52 PM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Couple of things...

Just because a car is CPO doesn't mean it is a good car. The cars maintenance history isn't a part of the cpo process. It may have been a lease returned because it spent more time in the shop than on the road and still got certified. Your dealership may cover the repair costs for the warranty period but is this a car you'd want?

CPO'd cars carry a higher profit margin than non cpo'd cars. We've seen dealerships where every used porsche is sold as CPO. Do you think all of the cars really qualified?

The dealerships mechanics are paid by the dealership. They are the one doing the PPI for the cpo certification. It is in their best interest to pass the car.

As a buyer it is in your best interest to purchase a PPI from an independent 3rd party.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:21 PM
Mojo31
Racer

That does not sound right. It is my understanding that when title changes, the CPO warranty ends unless the car is sold by the individual consumer to whom it was first issued to another individual consumer. Once title is transferred to any type of company or entity, the CPO warranty automatically terminates.

I would be very, very wary.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:40 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Thanks for the info and would u agree that at 41K miles if there was going to be a problem it would have already shown up?
If you're concerned about it, just make sure you have warranty coverage while you own the car rather than relying on a random mileage number for assurance. The PDK is a complex component with a lot of electronics involved. According to the dealer, my failure was almost certainly electronics related and could well involve a $50 part. Doesn't matter. The dealers aren't allowed to take the PDK apart so it's a $13,000 repair/replacement job no matter what fails inside.

Quick Reply: How important is warranty on 2009 997 4S