Sponsored by:

GTS driving impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 09:37 AM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GTS driving impressions

I'm thinking of one A 2012 to be exact, I would like to hear DD impressions as well as track impressions for those of you who own them. Also, what to have as options, etc. Thanks
Old 07-31-2014, 01:30 AM
mamow
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you are in the same boat we were about a month ago. Started with a '96 993 C2, passed through a 997.1 C2 to a '11 GTS and, finally, a '12 4GTS.

Obviously, there are many variants with which we have no experience, but the 4GTS was far and above the favorite. I am AWD-biased (other car is an S4 Avant), but we did have a bit of a time choosing between the last two. In the end, the choice was in part made for us, as the GTS was sold. Even so, though other GTSs were available down here we went with the 4 and absolutely love it.

Full disclosure, she also is our first 911. First Porsche for that matter.

For that reason and more than a few others, our views on options are quite subjective, but here goes...

Of all that we drove, I'd argue the 4GTS seemed to us the most taut...ready to go. Clearly, the extra power helps in that regard. And...absolutely...it seemed the most controlled and controllable when having a bit of fun.

Yes, I get that the partiality to AWD is a bit off the norm for 911 drivers who never encounter weather of any sort, but so be it. It's a spectacular car and we couldn't be happier with it.

Well, that's not entirely true. We have no nav, which we might not use anyway, but it's a bit of a gap. And full leather would have been nice, but we have no garage, so it'd turn to jerky in the SoCal sun. The Alcantara delete we very much appreciate, as the ventilated seats come in handy.

Sport Chron plus is super-fun. Don't have SPASM, but figured anyway that'd make for trickier speed-bump maneuvering.

Lastly, she's PDK-equipped, which was a requirement. But I totally can live with it, even kinda enjoy it, all situations considered. Also came with the multi-function steering wheel, which I frankly thought I'd hate. But, I don't. At least the volume wheel comes in handy. If she'd had the proper paddle wheel (which still looks way better, in my opinion) I'd be just as happy.

One more thing that makes the car for us is that the wheels are painted silver, not black, which over time might have been a bit much on an otherwise all-black car.

And that's about it. If you don't mind my asking, which ones are you considering? We've seen a few others in the area...
Old 07-31-2014, 10:12 AM
promocop
Burning Brakes

what area is that?
Old 07-31-2014, 05:39 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

GTS is the best street 911 to own. It's fast, it's tight, it's comfortable, it's wide in the rear, it's usually very well optioned (unlike the low optioned one above - nav delete, really??? I can't even imagine someone, let alone a dealer ordering one that way), and did I mention that it's fast. I have no track experience in the car, but there are those here who do, and I think they have no complaints.

As far as the 997 variant goes, the GTS is the most powerful normally aspirated 911 with rear seats, and it's the only 2 wheel drive wide-body 997. If you are in the market for a normally aspirated street 997 you can use as a daily driver, then the only reason not to get one is it's not in your budget. You might enjoy the video below...
Old 07-31-2014, 06:10 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,047 Likes on 539 Posts

+1. More than once I have thought I should have kept mine.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:12 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by fbfisher
GTS is the best street 911 to own. It's fast, it's tight, it's comfortable, it's wide in the rear, it's usually very well optioned (unlike the low optioned one above - nav delete, really??? I can't even imagine someone, let alone a dealer ordering one that way), and did I mention that it's fast. I have no track experience in the car, but there are those here who do, and I think they have no complaints.

As far as the 997 variant goes, the GTS is the most powerful normally aspirated 911 with rear seats, and it's the only 2 wheel drive wide-body 997. If you are in the market for a normally aspirated street 997 you can use as a daily driver, then the only reason not to get one is it's not in your budget. You might enjoy the video below...
Agree GTS is a great car. Having owned 4 997's (all with nav) over the last 7 years I can say I used the Nav maybe one time. I felt fortunate that I found a used 12 GTS coupe very lightly optioned (no nav, no CL, no heated seats) and I couldn't be more pleased.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:58 PM
beden1
Pro

Originally Posted by fbfisher

+1 My first Porsche and I'm very glad it's a GTS.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:08 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts

I think the GTS fits best between DD and occasional track toy. It's no GT3,but you don't make as many compromises with the GTS.

You'd make a good choice!

Good luck!
Old 07-31-2014, 07:15 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by promocop
I'm thinking of one A 2012 to be exact, I would like to hear DD impressions as well as track impressions for those of you who own them. Also, what to have as options, etc. Thanks
Very vague question IMO... DD impressions across most 997, and specially among 997.2 is very very similar. Tight handling, relative good comfort on medium to good roads, with relative high tire noise specially on concrete highways. I really haven't experienced any significant ride difference between various 997 cars.

Options are a different story, for DD, I guess you need to look for more comfort features (like ventilated seats in SoCal), than other options, and I'd broaden the search to regular 997 cars as well. GTS is basically the last regular 997 offered with most of the better options included in the standard build (meaning you could have built a GTS without wide-body yourself).
Old 07-31-2014, 07:18 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

TKS, going with the GT3
Old 07-31-2014, 10:45 PM
beden1
Pro

Originally Posted by alexb76
Very vague question IMO... DD impressions across most 997, and specially among 997.2 is very very similar. Tight handling, relative good comfort on medium to good roads, with relative high tire noise specially on concrete highways. I really haven't experienced any significant ride difference between various 997 cars.

Options are a different story, for DD, I guess you need to look for more comfort features (like ventilated seats in SoCal), than other options, and I'd broaden the search to regular 997 cars as well. GTS is basically the last regular 997 offered with most of the better options included in the standard build (meaning you could have built a GTS without wide-body yourself).
The GTS is special in that Porsche did not make many of them, and will be more desirable down the road with a better resale value as compared to a regular Carrera S.

I can't open the link at this point, but someone had posted a web site link where you could find your own car's build sheet. You could also sort the models like the GTS. From memory, Porsche only produced about 1,100-1,200 Carrera GTS worldwide. For my particular build, there were only about 3-4 cars worldwide with the same color combination and options including convertible, manual transmission and 5 lug wheels. Really cool, IMO.

Last edited by beden1; 08-02-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:02 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by beden1
The GTS is special in that Porsche did not make many of them, and will be more desirable down the road with a better rsale value as compared to a regular Carrera S.

I can't open the link at this point, but someone had posted a web site link where you could find your own car's build sheet. You could also sort the models like the GTS. From memory, Porsche only produced about 1,100-1,200 Carrera GTS worldwide. For my particular build, there were only about 3-4 cars worldwide with the same color combination and options including convertible, manual transmission and 5 lug wheels. Really cool, IMO.
Agreed, but it really isn't that much different than a well optioned Carrera, apart from having wide-body in C2S format...
Old 08-01-2014, 11:00 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Agreed, but it really isn't that much different than a well optioned Carrera, apart from having wide-body in C2S format...
That's what I thought until I washed mine the first time. Nothing terribly dramatic but the front bumper is definitely different. Sort of a blend between a regular 997 bumper and a GT3 bumper. Then it has the GT2 side skirts. Subtle but pretty cool. And the X51 kit worth about 20hp.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:55 AM
Swoody
Racer

Originally Posted by beden1
The GTS is special in that Porsche did not make many of them, and will be more desirable down the road with a better resale value as compared to a regular Carrera S.

997 Carrera GTS total: 6.747
997 Carrera GTS Coupé: 2.656
997 Carrera GTS Cabrio: 1.813
997 Carrera 4 GTS Coupé: 1.321
997 Carrera 4 GTS Cabrio: 957
Old 08-02-2014, 01:39 PM
beden1
Pro

Originally Posted by Swoody
997 Carrera GTS total: 6.747
997 Carrera GTS Coupé: 2.656
997 Carrera GTS Cabrio: 1.813
997 Carrera 4 GTS Coupé: 1.321
997 Carrera 4 GTS Cabrio: 957
I'm not sure why I had the wrong impression of the production numbers. Where did you get this information?

Quick Reply: GTS driving impressions