Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I guess i'll introduce myself. New 997 owner.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 02:49 AM
JuanK20
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by carlos911c4s
Silver/red combo is really nice and the addition of the GT3 front and rear bumpers with a ducktail will certainly make your car look sharp.
Modifying your car along your own taste is hardly posing, it is after all your car and you should enjoy it any way you see fit.
You'll end with a real head turner! Enjoy it the best you can.
I appreciate the kind words. Thank you.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:35 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I see both sides of the poseur / no-poseur thing. I agree with Mark that if I saw a C2 dressed up like a GT3 passing by I may think it's a real GT3, and if I was tearing around in the mountains and saw that nose in my mirror, I would probably let it pass just to hear that Metzger engine scream by at about 8000 RPMs --but then I'd be all "FRAUD!" When I heard the regular ol' 3.6 grunt past.

But, on the other hand folks have been modding the hell out of 911's from the very beginning. I'm sure it (the modding) goes back to even before the outlaw 356's and what not. Nobody gets too bummed when they see a '74 RS Clone, or swapped deck lids or bumpers etc on the older ones, so I think it's just as acceptable to mod the 997.

Since you've already had like 20 cars, I'm sure this (although your first) Porsche, will not be your last. Mod away. Maybe in time your car will look like one of the RWB wide bodies - who knows?

We've all got cool cars here - some are bone stock, some are hot rods under the skin, and others have lots of cosmetic work done.

There's garage queens, track rats, daily drivers, and regular folks who just love Porsche & the Motorsport culture here. What's most important is you love the car, love the culture, and just drive the wheels off your whip & share your stories when you do!

You can check out 6speed too, to be honest I see the exact same posts over there so much that I sometimes think there's a plugin that just posts threads automatically to both forums.

I saw the yellow calipers and wondered the same thing, did you actually put ceramic brakes on your car?

Any interior mods planned? Looks like you've done a lot of work right out of the gate, and like you're having fun. That's the point.

Anyway, welcome. Post more pics as you develop this build, and thanks for introducing yourself!

- Dan
Old 07-20-2014, 07:13 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist and to Porsche ownership. They are terrific machines and you will enjoy the experience.

Modify to your hearts content. It is all about personalization and do not take a few off base comments as indicative of the Rennlist community.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:25 AM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

JuanK20 -- You are a young and excited Porsche owner so I say do whatever pleases you and don't get too hung up on what others think. These cars are an expression of your personality. Owning a P-car is a hobby to many, which is the best way to approach it IMHO. After all, how else can you justify the prices?

BTW, I am a bone stock, no mod kind of guy, but that is what I prefer. In fact I own a C4S with the factory aerokit and came across a couple of posts where the guys accused the aerokit owners as being "GT3 posers." I guess there will always be those who have nothing better to do than pick apart your ride. I just try to avoid those kind of people at cars-and-coffee / meet-and-greet events.

Sean
Old 07-20-2014, 07:59 AM
Captsteve123
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like the front bumper! I have the same car stock, but IMO it needs something more to make it look mean!
Old 07-20-2014, 08:12 AM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Welcome and enjoy the car. I love the way you've 'woken up' the regular silver with the red accents . How is the ride. After you've lowered it? I'd be weary of lowering my own because the compromise between rid and handling is so great in these cars.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:46 AM
gripshifter
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Sigh - some of the rudest comments I've read on any forum to welcome a new member..

Juank20 - congrats on your first 997 - and welcome to Rennlist.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:13 AM
Sylvain
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Juan,

Congrats you did a great job in personalizing your car.

The most important thing, enjoy your Porsche and drive it as much as you can
Old 07-20-2014, 09:17 AM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the forum, it certainly isn't my taste, but it's not my car so to each their own. I am glad the wheels aren't sticking out like they are on the M3.

I agree it will look much better when the back matches the front.

Enjoy your 911!!!
Old 07-20-2014, 09:38 AM
JuanK20
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up

Wow. Thank you all for the kind words. I really feel welcome. I don't really care that those other 2 guys don't "approve" of my car or whatever. Over the years I've learned that you can't please everyone. Like some of you said, it's my car and I will mod it how I like and so far I am happy. It's usually the "purist" with bone stock cars that get their panties in a bunch once people start changing wheels, bumpers etc. And it's ok, I understand that keeping the car as OEM as possible is their thing. Not my cup of tea but I still respect it. We are all car guys at the end of the day and I know how to accept "constructive" criticism. However, I still haven't figured how I am "posing" but if jumping around threads making insults and name calling makes Hella-Buggin's day that much better, I'm glad I can help

But thank you all once again for turning this thread around and proving that rennlist is an awesome site with helpful and cool guys. I plan on sticking around for a while. I do all my work myself and if anyone needs advice/help on anything I am always available. I have awesome feed back on some of the BMW forums, and other sites as a seller and buyer. I even give away & ship parts for free from time to time. You guys will get to know me and I promise am not some poser that's only about aesthetic mods haha

PS. Regarding the ride height handling, I can't really compare because I did not do any "sprited" driving while the car was on stock suspension. I drove it back and forth to work a couple of times and it felt nice stock. I currently have H&R springs, which is only temporary while I pony up some spare change to buy PSS coilovers. I love the look of the car but as far as performance, I'm not sure if I love how they ride. The car doesn't feel as stiff and planted to the ground as it looks. But I can count on my hands the times that I've actually driven this car. It is not my daily. So I do have a lot of learning to do. I'll keep you guys updated as time goes by.

Thanks again guys!
Old 07-20-2014, 10:13 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It is a great piece to personalize. Very Nice!!

What year is it?
How many miles?

Any engine mods coming? Make sure you troll around on this site for information on the little things that may need to be addressed on the engine. Ie Bal. shaft bearings, rear front seals and the like.

I love the GT bumpers on it. Keep us posted..

The ride!! Hummm there are great posts on here regarding that. these aren't like anything else. My 2006 had the Pss system and I like liked it.

Yes! I agree the sound needs improvement. Call Sharkworks or GMG for exhaust. The have great products. You'll be happy.

Do you track your cars? If so, track this car. If not, Track this car. It's the best way to learn it.

Take care,
Rob
Old 07-20-2014, 10:43 AM
mk3boy
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

looks sharp!
Old 07-20-2014, 10:58 AM
One911
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice looks better than stock for sure !
Old 07-20-2014, 11:07 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Congrats and good luck to you my friend!! Enjoy your 911 any way you choose………..and Welcome!

Tom
Old 07-20-2014, 11:11 AM
JuanK20
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sweeper
It is a great piece to personalize. Very Nice!!

What year is it?
How many miles?

Any engine mods coming? Make sure you troll around on this site for information on the little things that may need to be addressed on the engine. Ie Bal. shaft bearings, rear front seals and the like.

I love the GT bumpers on it. Keep us posted..

The ride!! Hummm there are great posts on here regarding that. these aren't like anything else. My 2006 had the Pss system and I like liked it.

Yes! I agree the sound needs improvement. Call Sharkworks or GMG for exhaust. The have great products. You'll be happy.

Do you track your cars? If so, track this car. If not, Track this car. It's the best way to learn it.

Take care,
Rob
Thank you! It is a 2005 with 70k miles. As far as engine mods, I am still researching as I am new to Porsche. My priority was maintenance. I changed the brakes, oil and coolant within the first week. A PPI was done prior to purchase and the seals seam to be ok.

As far as exhaust I was thinking of just doing the gundo/fister mod on the stock system for now because I am planning to do a center exit in the near future. Once I receive the rear bumper I will decide which route I will go with regarding exhaust.

I would love to take it to the track. I used to track cars back in the day but the "other" kind of track. Lol I know 1/4 mile tracks are frowned upon around these parts, that's why I didn't even mention it. I had a 10 second All Motor 4cylinder street car back in 2007 which was almost unheard of at that time.

I don't see myself hitting up the Nurburgring anytime soon haha but I do want to try some of the local circuits with this car and see how it goes.

Originally Posted by mk3boy
looks sharp!
Thank you and thanks for the suspension buddy!

Quick Reply: I guess i'll introduce myself. New 997 owner.