Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RMS Failure and then Motor Blown - Pissed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014 | 03:45 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

1. IMS doesn't fail like that as others said, but you maybe passed that stage
2. What is short block? Meaning half the engine and the rebuild the rest?
3. If you plan to keep the car for long, the $6K difference is worth it 100%... let's see if your warranty company would agree that you pay the difference and get that $6K. If not, maybe short block (albeit I am not sure what it means)?

Good luck and glad you had the warranty!
Old 07-03-2014 | 03:58 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

What warranty company do you have?
Old 07-03-2014 | 06:25 PM
Captsteve123
Instructor

I guess if you did not hear the death rattle, and you saw this puddle under the car at a later date, then I have to ask the question, were you the last and only driver to park that car? No son or wife took the car, while you may not have been home and not noticed the death rattle?
Old 07-04-2014 | 12:34 AM
Redline911
Racer

This poster is a troll. Joins forum in May and first thread is an IMS failure with spotty info and missing details. LN Engineering folks having a slow day. Nothing to be learned here, move on.
Old 07-04-2014 | 01:18 AM
alpha motoring
Rennlist Member

Why should the insurance company pay you out for a X51 motor, or anyone for that fact? You never had one to begin with. Their only liable to fix your car to the state it was in before, which was a running car.
Old 07-04-2014 | 01:38 AM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Good thing these failures are rare
Old 07-04-2014 | 08:23 AM
Captsteve123
Instructor

Originally Posted by Redline911
This poster is a troll. Joins forum in May and first thread is an IMS failure with spotty info and missing details. LN Engineering folks having a slow day. Nothing to be learned here, move on.
Thanks for the info! Don't want to waste time with this thread, and I guess I got pulled into it.
Old 07-04-2014 | 09:28 AM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

I couldn't agree more. Lots of people making money by over-inflating a very rare problem. As owners of 997's, we can't allow them to do what they did to the 996 community.

Sean
Old 07-04-2014 | 11:04 AM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sniff
I couldn't agree more. Lots of people making money by over-inflating a very rare problem. As owners of 997's, we can't allow them to do what they did to the 996 community.

Sean
Amen brother, we on the 997 forum have seen this type of fear mongering before
Old 07-04-2014 | 11:25 AM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

shady dude....
Old 07-07-2014 | 03:28 PM
betonred
Banned

been on holiday guys -

i am being a litle non specific as i do not want to call out dealers until my car is repaired, not looking to dig myself into a hole per se.

The car had 52k miles when the rms seal began to leak, it went on for 3k miles and i just kept adding small amounts of oil.

i then took the car to have the rms replaced, they did the job and told me the ims was totally fine despite me telling them that i would pay for the LN kit. they actually never got back to me and threw the trans back and and told me to collect the car.

i asked the dealer what about the ims work? they said once again.. NO NEED.

3 months later i need a new engine. this is my second 911 and i am fairly familair with common issues. i bought a 2005 as the price was right, i didnt really want to buy into the ims issue as it was fairly rare.

regardless, i drove the car and according to my dealer my engine just fell victim

the purpose of the thread was to determine if pcna should buck up and provide me with a complete motor just like other have been provided with.

its not my problem they ran out of motors, an x51 motor is an alternative although they will not change it as its not like for like.

i am going to see what the warranty company comes up with - not naming them until the work is done too.
Old 07-08-2014 | 10:44 PM
Iceter
Drifting

A rebuilt engine with a two year warranty is better than the engine you had. For a hundred Bucks, that sounds like a good deal. The fact that Porsche is out of remanufactured engines is not your problem, but the terms of your warranty are. If it permits the installation of a rebuilt engine when a reman engine is not available, then there is no sense debating.

If you say your engine is blown, then it is blown. The true cause is what interests me.

"Bearings gone" and a failed IMS bearing are two drastically different things. I suppose a failed RMS could cause chronic oil leakage (and hence starvation and then wiped cam and main bearings) but the bottom of that car looks awfully clean for one that has been leaking oil for a few weeks. If your car leaked enough oil while driving that you suffered oil starvation, the bottom of the car would be covered in oil.

On the other hand, as the guys have said, a failed IMS is a catastrophic failure that I am assuming a driver would notice--and it does NOT happen when the car sits--which makes me wonder how it could have destroyed your engine without you knowing?

Out of curiosity, is the RMS submerged in oil when the car is off on our flat sixes? Reason I ask is that those pics show a ton of oil and on most cars, RMS leaks just seep or drip, they don't generally pour.
Old 07-08-2014 | 11:09 PM
betonred
Banned

i will update you guys once i hear more from the dealer.

i literally backed the car out. saw the oil, called a tow truck and off it went to the dealer.

they made me authorize a $3,000 teardown which i did as they said it will be absorbed by my warranty company when they pay them out.

latest i heard was that the warranty company was looking up part numbers to determine parts that need to be replaced.

the car has been there for 3 weeks thus far.
Old 07-09-2014 | 08:49 AM
BSU
Advanced

Can you elaborate on "out of the date range of victim cars" ? Does this mean you have a 2/05 or later build with the larger IMS bearing? Or that your car is earlier and over 10 years old, thus knocking you out of the IMS Settlement?
OP, can you address this question please?
Old 07-09-2014 | 12:51 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BSU
OP, can you address this question please?
You can find out if
Your car has the smaller single row bearing here.

http://www.imsporschesettlement.com/faqs/

Quick Reply: RMS Failure and then Motor Blown - Pissed!