Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RMS Failure and then Motor Blown - Pissed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 08:07 PM
betonred
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
Well, sorry about that. I come from the 996 world and there are countless threads about IMS failures that turn out to be simple issues.

Its hard to determine from your post who you are fighting with...PCNA or your warranty company. If it's the latter, they generally have a provision in the contract that they get to determine the extent and scope of the repair. I fought with my warranty company when my starter went bad and all they would approve was a rebuilt one. I insisted on new, but in the end, they won. They know what they are doing to limit their liability.

If its PCNA and your Dealer I agree that they have no obligation to sell you the x51 for the same price as a regular motor, but I have heard from others that they sometime work things out as "good will" so don't give up. Just remember to ask nicely.
it good to hear input - i will juts let them do as they wish. the motor will have a 2 year porsche warranty so its on porsche then on!

What i believe you guys are missing is that i drew the short straw. if porsche had replacement motors i would have one.. rather than a pieced together item.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:41 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 302 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by betonred
my exposure is only my $100 deductible. the item is covered my my aftermarket warranty.
i just caugh wind that they are looking to just replace the bare essentials and might not replace the heads etc.
yikes, who is your warranty through?
Old 07-03-2014, 09:27 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

my exposure is only my $100 deductible. the item is covered my my aftermarket warranty.
i just caugh wind that they are looking to just replace the bare essentials and might not replace the heads etc.
Well, in this case best path is to get it repaired, sell or trade it in - at a different dealer, and buy something else. C'est la vie.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:59 AM
Captsteve123
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, you may have gotten the short end of the stick, but who made the call your IMS failed? That's who I would be concerned with, as I have seen the same puddle with a friends car, and it was the RMS failed. I have never heard or seen an IMS fail while parked!
Old 07-03-2014, 10:07 AM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

I would offer to pay the $6k difference between the x51 and the regular 3.8. I think that's a fair price for that upgrade, if you get the air box and headers.
The short block is not a bad option either, since it's a new engine plus your existing peripherals. For $100, I'd take that deal any day.
Once it's back in running order, I'd see no reason to sell due to this issue.
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 07-03-2014, 10:35 AM
MuffinMan
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My imsb failed at the end of 2013 ('05 997), and I went through all the scenarios. Remanufactured engines were available at the time, and the price was the same for the 3.6, 3.8, and 3.8 X51 (actual engine cost). The conversion from one engine to another isn't a huge deal, and you need to reflash the ecu along with a few other things. The bottom line is porsche (who covered the majority of my engine replacement) would only switch out like for like. If I were paying entirely out of pocket, I definitely would have gone with the x51, but it wasn't the case.

That being said, shortly after my saga, it seems porsche started running out of remanufactured engines. Rebuilding an engine or going with a short block will have a lot more labor than simply swapping in a complete engine, and the end cost likely will be similar. If you go with an independent shop, they may be able to install a complete x51 engine as long as they get approval from the warranty company, etc. There are more moving parts there, for sure. I agree that it's nice to get the fully remanufactured engine, and I felt it was a bonus to get all new components/accessories, all with a two year warranty. Unfortunately, you're in a tough spot and it isn't an option. The important thing is you will be made whole with the route proposed by the dealer, and I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. You'll get a two year warranty on it, regardless.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:47 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,247 Likes on 575 Posts

it has been inspected and confirmed that the ims failed.
Who exactly inspected it? Was it a Porsche Certified dealer?

I'm like others here. You can have the Rear Main Seal (RMS) go and leak oil all over the floor and / or your can have the Intermediate Shaft Bearing (IMS) go and wreck the engine. Some oil on the floor does not equal a blown IMS and engine that needs replacing.

Sorry to be skeptical BUT we're all a bit curious about the facts!
Old 07-03-2014, 11:44 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 183 Posts

The Rms seal can leak but if it blew after being replaced than that should be on them. Either way you should have noticed something when you parked it.

Was it making noise? The ims doesn't let go while parked. The rms letting go would leak oil but it doesn't. Mean its a blown engine. If you're able I'd tAke it to an indie for an examination.

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Who exactly inspected it? Was it a Porsche Certified dealer?

I'm like others here. You can have the Rear Main Seal (RMS) go and leak oil all over the floor and / or your can have the Intermediate Shaft Bearing (IMS) go and wreck the engine. Some oil on the floor does not equal a blown IMS and engine that needs replacing.

Sorry to be skeptical BUT we're all a bit curious about the facts!
Old 07-03-2014, 12:41 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

we need the facts joe....
Old 07-03-2014, 12:49 PM
PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well he did say the the engine was dropped out of the vehicle and confirmed the IMS bearing failed and that it's not a debate about the IMS bearing failing, so not sure why everyone keeps questioning it...

Originally Posted by Jack667
The short block is not a bad option either, since it's a new engine plus your existing peripherals. For $100, I'd take that deal any day.
Once it's back in running order, I'd see no reason to sell due to this issue.
X2 This is what I would do personally.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:24 PM
betonred
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for all the support - all work is being performed by porsche dealership's

the car had a rms replacement 3 months ago. i then drove the car and the last time i parked it at home i came back to find a pool of oil.

the dealer told me the engine would fire before they torn it down although when they inspected it the bearings had failed.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:18 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MuffinMan
That being said, shortly after my saga, it seems porsche started running out of remanufactured engines. Rebuilding an engine or going with a short block will have a lot more labor than simply swapping in a complete engine, and the end cost likely will be similar.
of what others said - it may be just fine that after rebuild this car will go like new for 100k miles without a glitch. it is possible. it is also possible that they will screw up rebuild, over torque something and it all will fall apart in 5k miles. rebuilds are, well, quite a serious job, and to do it right you got to trust the shop. I generally distrust high tech jobs done by dealer as they typically do not have resources skilled enough to do it right. they will do it in the way for dealer to bill maximum labor while paying possible minimum for parts. what happens to the car and to the customer does not matter to them at all.
not a single reputable builder reuses wearable parts during rebuild, as it defeats the purpose of the rebuild. but, well, like I said - take a path of least resistance and then decide what to do.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:52 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

thanks for all the support - all work is being performed by porsche dealership's

the car had a rms replacement 3 months ago. i then drove the car and the last time i parked it at home i came back to find a pool of oil.

the dealer told me the engine would fire before they torn it down although when they inspected it the bearings had failed.
So...no other symptoms. No CEL, no "rocks in a can" death rattle, just a big pool of oil on the floor? I suppose in the end, you are going to get a rebuilt engine for $100, which isn't a bad deal...but if I had to pay out of pocket for a reman motor, I would have that car flat bedded to a trusted Indy in a nanosecond for a second opinion.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:52 PM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
of what others said - it may be just fine that after rebuild this car will go like new for 100k miles without a glitch. it is possible. it is also possible that they will screw up rebuild, over torque something and it all will fall apart in 5k miles. rebuilds are, well, quite a serious job, and to do it right you got to trust the shop. I generally distrust high tech jobs done by dealer as they typically do not have resources skilled enough to do it right. they will do it in the way for dealer to bill maximum labor while paying possible minimum for parts. what happens to the car and to the customer does not matter to them at all.
not a single reputable builder reuses wearable parts during rebuild, as it defeats the purpose of the rebuild. but, well, like I said - take a path of least resistance and then decide what to do.
Agreed 100%, however, if he is going to have a 2 year Porsche warranty, I don't see any urgent need to sell.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:08 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"The bearings had failed." We'll, good luck OP. Sounds like you did fine. As to the others who are smelling IMS blood in the water I would not get too crazy. OP is not real technically on top of what happened (nor should he have to be) and the waters here are real murky. Happy ending

Quick Reply: RMS Failure and then Motor Blown - Pissed!