997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Upgrades for 997.1 C2S

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 03:53 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,526 Likes on 2,576 Posts
Default Suspension Upgrades for 997.1 C2S

I have an '06 997.1 C2S which I track a lot, top/instructor DE run groups, no racing.

The car is stock, other than track seats, roll bar, harnesses, oil pan extension/baffle, transmission cooling, brake cooling ducts, track pads/fluid, GT3 front control arms to increase camber, and NT01 tires.

The car has PASM, and I suspect that at least one front shock may be on its way out, possibly rears too. So I'm looking at replacing the shocks, and possible additional suspension upgrades such as adjustable roll bars.

I want the car to be better on the track, drivable on the road with tolerable comfort, and no plans to race it. Would be nice to keep PASM, but it's not essential.

I'd appreciate suggestions on suspension upgrades, including specific products (eg, Bilstein has PASM shocks, but I don't know how good they are).
Old 06-24-2014, 05:02 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 274 Posts

I will look for GT3 coilovers, Bilstein (very pricey) or KWs.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:39 PM
JFERR
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TPC racing sells a PASM upgrade. It's made by someone else, but I don't remember who. Anyway, I have an 05C2S. Same scenario as you. The upgrade is a new PASM box that has three settings and works with your current PASM button. Setting one is a little stiffer than stock soft. Setting two is a little stiffer than sport. Setting three is cup car. I have adjustment sway bars and I lowered the car to ROW with Eibach springs. There are guys on the track with turbos, GT3s and Cup Cars in disbelief on how I can keep up with them. Highly recommend this route. Drive the car to work every day, good weather permitting.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:39 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Bilstein damptronics, GT3 sway bars and GT3 LCA's (which you already have). You will love this setup.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:30 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

No experience personally, but Ohlins now makes a kit for the 997 that makes use of PASM.

Edit... Take it back, don't think their PASM compatible.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:52 PM
colombiano
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JFERR
TPC racing sells a PASM upgrade. It's made by someone else, but I don't remember who. Anyway, I have an 05C2S. Same scenario as you. The upgrade is a new PASM box that has three settings and works with your current PASM button. Setting one is a little stiffer than stock soft. Setting two is a little stiffer than sport. Setting three is cup car. I have adjustment sway bars and I lowered the car to ROW with Eibach springs. There are guys on the track with turbos, GT3s and Cup Cars in disbelief on how I can keep up with them. Highly recommend this route. Drive the car to work every day, good weather permitting.
If am understanding correctly, you are using your stock shocks, with eibach springs and new pasm box with adjustable sway bars. I see everything except the new pasm box on their site. Closest I see is this http://www.tpcracing.com/997-stage-3...uspension.html

Am assuming if not coil overs, would make the pice way more affordable.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:57 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

I was in the same place as you...I went with Bilstein B16 Damptronics coil overs. I kept the normal and sport selection working. This package was a nice improvement.

Ohlins and KW I believe also now have coil overs that keep PASM working, however other coilovers from KW and companies like JRZ, Moton and so forth that you have to disable PASM and adjust the shock damping on the shock itself are excellent choices too.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:20 AM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

Bilstein PSS10 is pretty much PSS9 with an extra setting, and the PSS9 are ancient. While still a decent suspension, but there's been lots of time for improvements, which has been represented by competitor products. PSS10 are also regularly reported to be too soft for the track. Comfortable on the street, attractive to many, and will make most people happy. They will also leave serious track-goers wanting more. These are the MPSS of coil-overs.

KW V3 consistently gets good reviews from those who often track their car. It doesn't work with PASM, which has a button to go from bumpy to bumpier. What the KW V3 is though is a stiffer setup with all around better damping. Shocks with better damping > shocks with worse damping with electronic suspension management.

Ohlins R&T is one of the newer releases and would be my first pick. Ohlins DFV is pretty sweet, pretty much a built-in mechanical 'pasm'. I'm sure these would be the go-to selection if only more people knew they existed. I've seen the shocks in person and the build quality/machining of the Ohlins is on an entirely different level. These are the AD08R of coil-overs.

If you consider the Club Sport routes, keep in mind those are race products and have limited or no warranties. When it doubt, go with Ohlins.

Last edited by 1990nein; 06-25-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:15 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,725 Likes on 4,277 Posts

I have Bilstein B16 Damptronics with a full RSS Stage 2 setup (all 4 LCAs, adjustable sway bars and drop links, dog bones, and Front and Rear toe steer kit) plus their semi solid motor mounts. The setup is just awesome - rides better on the street in normal mode and stiffens up better in Sport mode. The biggest difference I feel is a much better controlled rear end. With the factory setup the rear used to wallow over slight undulations taken at speed and the rebound dampening is much better now where that no longer happens. I think in the Marketplace here or on 6speed,someone is selling some B16 Damptronics for a C2S.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:18 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I have an '06 997.1 C2S which I track a lot, top/instructor DE run groups, no racing.

The car is stock, other than track seats, roll bar, harnesses, oil pan extension/baffle, transmission cooling, brake cooling ducts, track pads/fluid, GT3 front control arms to increase camber, and NT01 tires.

The car has PASM, and I suspect that at least one front shock may be on its way out, possibly rears too. So I'm looking at replacing the shocks, and possible additional suspension upgrades such as adjustable roll bars.

I want the car to be better on the track, drivable on the road with tolerable comfort, and no plans to race it. Would be nice to keep PASM, but it's not essential.

I'd appreciate suggestions on suspension upgrades, including specific products (eg, Bilstein has PASM shocks, but I don't know how good they are).
Read info on gt3 forum. You can do several things. Stock shocks are bilsteins and can be sent in to be revalved. So you can simply buy proper eibach springs, sent shocks to be revalved and keep setup as it was. Downside of it is - you have only 2 setup positions and cannot control ride height, and rake setup is important.
I rarely see gt3 stock shocks for sale, but if you find them, it may be cheaper than new jrz/motons.
If you decide to replace shocks it is much more money. And here you have to decide if you want to keep pasm or not. Damptronics are fine but they lack level of refinement you can get from jrz or motons. To go with 2 way or 3-4 way adjustments is next topic but unless you build a true racer car 2 way imho is sufficient enough.
Do not hurry, speak to people, look up for deals and you can find a lot of stuff, last year i saw somebody selling spare set of 4 way ohlins for $3k, a great deal, at the end of this season somebody will be selling again.
If you are not prepping car to run in a particular class you have a lot of flexibility of what to do. Have fun.

I just noticed my signature went away . I run jrz rs shocks, #600/#700 springs, all solid monoball arms, dogbones, thrust arms, wevo motor mounts and car is still drivable on the street. Firm, for sure, but ok to me. You put compression dial to 1 from full soft, rebound to middle of dial and it works just fine.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:26 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pho King Fast
Bilstein PSS10 is pretty much PSS9 with an extra setting, and the PSS9 are ancient. While still a decent suspension, but there's been lots of time for improvements, which has been represented by competitor products. PSS10 are also regularly reported to be too soft for the track. Comfortable on the street, attractive to many, and will make most people happy. They will also leave serious track-goers wanting more. These are the MPSS of coil-overs.

KW V3 consistently gets good reviews from those who often track their car. It doesn't work with PASM, which has a button to go from bumpy to bumpier. What the KW V3 is though is a stiffer setup with all around better damping. Shocks with better damping > shocks with worse damping with electronic suspension management.

Ohlins R&T is one of the newer releases and would be my first pick. Ohlins DFV is pretty sweet, pretty much a built-in mechanical 'pasm'. I'm sure these would be the go-to selection if only more people knew they existed. I've seen the shocks in person and the build quality/machining of the Ohlins is on an entirely different level. These are the AD08R of coil-overs.

If you consider the Club Sport routes, keep in mind those are race products and have limited or no warranties. When it doubt, go with Ohlins.
Ohlins are best but cost ungodly. And to be honest it starts to differ from jrz/moton only for very top level of competition.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:35 AM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Ohlins are best but cost ungodly. And to be honest it starts to differ from jrz/moton only for very top level of competition.
Ohlins R&T is around $3000, priced quite competitively with it's competitors!
Old 06-25-2014, 06:55 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pho King Fast
Ohlins R&T is around $3000, priced quite competitively with it's competitors!
I probably never saw those. Any ohlins setups i saw on scca or nasa cars were close or
above $10k.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:11 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Thanks all for the comments. Had a long talk with my shop about options, and the comments make a lot of sense in that context.

I don't really drive the car as a DD much anymore (and don't need to), so I'm planning to set up the suspension mainly for serious track use, and the ride on the road only needs to be good enough that I can tolerate driving it up to ~6 hrs to/from the track only mostly decent roads.

So I'll very likely go with 2-way adjustable shocks rather than PASM-compatible shocks. My shop likes Ohlins, but I'm still open to other options at this point.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:16 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
Thanks all for the comments. Had a long talk with my shop about options, and the comments make a lot of sense in that context.

I don't really drive the car as a DD much anymore (and don't need to), so I'm planning to set up the suspension mainly for serious track use, and the ride on the road only needs to be good enough that I can tolerate driving it up to ~6 hrs to/from the track only mostly decent roads.

So I'll very likely go with 2-way adjustable shocks rather than PASM-compatible shocks. My shop likes Ohlins, but I'm still open to other options at this point.
I went with Ohlins R&T, which is 1-way adjustable, since the Ohlins shocks which are 2-way or more adjustable are very expensive.

Out of the box, the Ohlins R&T weren't good at all, regardless of where the damping and sway bars were set. The standard spring rates are 343 and 686, which appears to be too low and too big of a spread. Researching it further, seems like the more typical spread is about 200, with rates of about 600 and 800.

What spring rates are you all using on the 997.1 C2S or GT3?

Quick Reply: Suspension Upgrades for 997.1 C2S