Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How important is LSD/SPASM if not tracking car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 06:26 PM
Swoody
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How important is LSD/SPASM if not tracking car?

Like the title says...Unfortunately it's unlikely that my car will ever see the track. I am considering trading my M6 GTS for a similarly equipped GTS but with PDK (flame suit on! ). My current car has LSD/SPASM, one I may trade for does not (at least it is not listed on the build sheet I downloaded), and I am wondering if I will miss it or even notice it? My fun drives are through the desert/mountainous roads around the north of Phoenix.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:45 PM
iii911ooo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It is my understanding that all 997 GTS cars came with LSD/SPASM. Look for the sport plus switch on the console to confirm.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:53 PM
Swoody
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pretty sure that if you did not order the Sports Suspension (P17 option) that has Spasm + LSD, then you would have to order the LSD as a stand alone option. In any case, I am at sea for 2 more weeks and cannot get to the possible new ride or my current one!
Old 05-22-2014, 02:15 AM
DareMightyThings
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iii911ooo
It is my understanding that all 997 GTS cars came with LSD/SPASM. Look for the sport plus switch on the console to confirm.
No. All GTS (like all S) comes standard with PASM (which gives you the button). LSD/SPASM was an option on the GTS as part of the P17 option.

I don't have LSD/SPASM on mine and don't feel that I'm missing anything, but haven't been to the track yet.

If anything, I seem to recall a few threads saying the Porsche LSD wasn't really that durable for track use anyway.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:15 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Swoody
I'm pretty sure that if you did not order the Sports Suspension (P17 option) that has Spasm + LSD, then you would have to order the LSD as a stand alone option. In any case, I am at sea for 2 more weeks and cannot get to the possible new ride or my current one!
You are correct. LSD is not standard on the GTS. I have SPASM on my GTS and I can tell it has the lower and slightly stiffer suspension, but can't tell it has the LSD in normal daily driving. I don't think it is that important if you are not tracking the car. I do however very much like the slightly lower ride height and the slightly firmer suspension you get with SPASM.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:26 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by iii911ooo
Just FYI, Sport Plus has nothing to do with LSD or SPASM. I have "Sport Chrono Plus", shown as option 640, a $1320 additional cost on the build sheet for my S with PDK that has only PASM (not SPASM) and no LSD.

The non-Plus option on a 997.2, "Sport Chrono", is option 639. However, every S I've seen has Sport Plus, so it may be always be a standard option included on every S (and GTS). Even on non-S variants, I'm not sure any car ever bothered to do the upgrade to Sport with going with Sport Plus, even though the option code exists.

Finally, SPASM "Sport PASM" by itself is option 030 (or part of the P17 package), bringing the suspension down 20mm instead of the more reserved 10mm with just plain PASM. If you have concerns about your driveway or driving situation in your area giving you trouble with the additional 10mm of lowering, then it may be something to avoid. I know I wouldn't be able to get in my driveway without problems if I was any lower that what I have with PASM.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:11 PM
BlueJay73
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

"Finally, SPASM "Sport PASM" by itself is option 030 (or part of the P17 package), bringing the suspension down 20mm instead of the more reserved 10mm with just plain PASM."

What brings the car down the extra 10mm (or 20mm)? The springs? If so, would you get the same result as SPASM if you have a car with PASM and then install lowering springs?
Old 05-25-2014, 10:36 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueJay73
"Finally, SPASM "Sport PASM" by itself is option 030 (or part of the P17 package), bringing the suspension down 20mm instead of the more reserved 10mm with just plain PASM."

What brings the car down the extra 10mm (or 20mm)? The springs? If so, would you get the same result as SPASM if you have a car with PASM and then install lowering springs?
Looking at the parts diagrams for both the front and rear suspension on the Gaudin Porsche parts website, you can see that they differentiate between standard, active (PASM), and sport (SPASM) suspensions for some of the parts. The most significant differences between active and sport are the springs, but there are others (including stabilizer bar bushings, stops on the struts, etc.). The damper seems to be the same for PASM and SPASM though.

Quick Reply: How important is LSD/SPASM if not tracking car?