Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 12:26 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Smile

"Congrats! Interested in a 996/7 comparo too"

With your indulgence, I will chime in:

After 4 years of a 2005 C4S, I took the plunge and got a 997 C2S Cab PDK w/ sportchrono plus. The transition was rather smooth since the 996 was a Tip. I had decided when I got he C4S that I'd had it with manual trannies after 33 years of only manuals.

It took a bit over 3 months for me to stop missing the C4S: the coziness of the cabin, the immediacy of the controls and especially the somewhat raw nature of it. At first the 997 was too smooth and I also tended to use the gear shift buttons in "D", not yet trusting that the vaunted PDK was smart enough to warrant leaving it alone.

Now 6 months on, I leave PDK alone even in Sport mode. I got to trust it to effect the gear changes at the appropriate time and rarely if ever do I intervene.

What I've found to be the major difference, beside the more advanced engine, the increase in power and sophistication of the suspension is that the 997 C2 telegraphs its moves so that I am aware of any impending " Oh Sh*t" moment while driving spiritedly, allowing me to make the right adjustment with trail brake, throttle or steering. In the C4S, the somewhat "false" sense of security that the 4 wheel drive lured me into with its high level of stability in curves got me into those dreaded instances of "OH Sh*t" when my stomach would lurch and my cheeks tighten. It would be abrupt when traction would simply give up without warning. I respected that car and treaded a bit more lightly than before.
The 997 is better full stop. Its dynamics, at least to me and at my skill level, are simply in a different mode altogether. I have autocrossed both and prefer the 997, its rotation moves are so smooth and predictable. No contest!

Quick Reply: Joining the 997 Club!