Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did porsche deliberately put ancient tech in its cars audio system till the 997.2

Old 05-02-2014, 06:41 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Why did porsche deliberately put ancient tech in its cars audio system till the 997.2

Only the 991 has changed! Until 997.2 porsche always lag behind in hi fidelity tech in its cars, why did it do that? Did porsche management just think, like most so called porsche purists, that a good sound sytem is not important. A good sounding system need not be heavy, i have a simple system in my mb with soundstream amp, mb quart speakers and pioneer head unit that sounds a lot better than the bose. I just wonder why its so cheap to have good sounds system but porsche could not get it right, until the burmester, which is yet a very expensive option!
Old 05-02-2014, 07:38 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nothing wrong with the stock audio in my mind.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:59 PM
rankoutsider
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you've said in your original post, to most people who buy a Porsche, I don't think the sound system is a major consideration.

The acoustics of an automobile in general, tiny speakers and the fact that most people these days either use an iPod or Bluetooth streaming make the case for any kind of substantial investment in audiophile quality components difficult to justify.

if you're concentrating hard enough to recognise the frequency response between an MBQuart or Bose system, I think your probably not concentrating enough on what is a very involving driving experience.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:46 PM
sleepy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rankoutsider
The acoustics of an automobile in general, tiny speakers and the fact that most people these days either use an iPod or Bluetooth streaming make the case for any kind of substantial investment in audiophile quality components difficult to justify.
And yet the PCM is ancient enough that we don't get iPod integration until 2009, and Bluetooth streaming until... never in a 997.

I've seen people try to justify a product's shortcoming (any product in general) along the lines of "you don't need it." But as an engineer myself, I'd rather embrace "if you plan to do something, do it well." If audio system is so unimportant, why bother offering it and weigh down the car? Porsche makes extra money off Bose upgrades, so it's reasonable to hold them to a high standard.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:32 PM
ATLDiver
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In some ways they did and in others they were "on the bleeding edge." As others have noted, a car (especially a Porsche,) is a terrible space acoustically. The quality of components in these cars aren't bad but they lacked features in the PCM 2.1 systems, no Bluetooth, no hardwire for iPod, the Nav leaves a lot to be desired, etc. The speakers are actually pretty good as is the sub treatments but where it's silly is the M.O.S.T connectivity which makes easy upgrading harder.

My car has the NAV, (I never use it and don't plan to,) and I have BT and iPod connectivity from NAV TV. Overall I'm ok with that but my iPod adaptor locks up on occasion and the CD on my head-unit doesn't work. Eventually, I'm going to put an aftermarket Alpine in but I'd like to find a Nav-TV MOST adaptor used, I think they're overpriced for what they are and I'm not sold on Nav-TV product quality. Hell, for the retail of the adaptor you can have your speakers re-wired and go with an after-market amp setup but you loose some of the OEM feel of the car. That's only a big deal when you go to sell or trade.

I find the music background noise mostly for when I don't want to listen to the engine which is the real sound-system.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:57 PM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I barely turn the PCM on in my 2006 C4S as that kind of counterintuitive technology just frustrates me. In fact I would almost prefer to have the single-disc CDR-24 in my car than the original NAV unit. One button does one thing, end of story. Life is simple. I understand I am in the minority (I am still a flip-phone guy), but I didn't buy the car for the sound system.

Sean
Old 05-02-2014, 09:58 PM
SecretAsianMan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dug out the window sticker for my car the other day, I can't believe the Bose + PCM in my 997.1 cost so much. It sounds *terrible*. A long time ago I had a Honda with a $200 JVC headunit that sounded miles better. And of course having Bose makes it a huge pain to rip out and replace.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:32 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an Alpine with tons of features... from Nav to streaming to everything in between... but my ride could use decent subs. I don't like most car Navs. But, hey... it's all in the Alpine. I used my Google maps on my Galaxy the last two time I needed guided Nav.

Subs: yeah... I probably need those for other people more than me.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:41 PM
Cbst09
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of all the Porsche 997.2s that I have viewed online as well as this forum I have yet to see one without the Bose audio system upgrade. I am far from an audiophile but I think it's strange that there are so many complaints about the "Bose High End Sound Package" yet it seems virtually 100% of the cars out there were ordered with it, was the base system even available? I have never seen one in a 997.2
Old 05-02-2014, 10:58 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,409 Likes on 854 Posts

I read an interview in Christophorus where a retiring Porsche engineer talked about his career. He said something about a sports car must be a bit rough. I can't remember the exact words, but it was clear: Porsche puts or leaves a rough edge on their cars.

A bad audio system is OK, as long as they don't charge much for it... oops Porsche did! Porsche realized the poser element of its customer base is pretty dumb and they are taking massive advantage of them (and with them the enthusiasts).

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-02-2014, 11:16 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbst09
Of all the Porsche 997.2s that I have viewed online as well as this forum I have yet to see one without the Bose audio system upgrade. I am far from an audiophile but I think it's strange that there are so many complaints about the "Bose High End Sound Package" yet it seems virtually 100% of the cars out there were ordered with it, was the base system even available? I have never seen one in a 997.2
This would be me. I ordered my car with the "base" sound system; so unless "base" is the Bose High End, I have the cheapie system. And I am functionally, if not physically, tone deaf so it sounds fine to me.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:24 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I read an interview in Christophorus where a retiring Porsche engineer talked about his career. He said something about a sports car must be a bit rough. I can't remember the exact words, but it was clear: Porsche puts or leaves a rough edge on their cars.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Highly subjective I know but he probably should have said "Porsche used to put or leave a rough edge on their cars". Looks like they took a little detour away from that with the 991.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:36 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Highly subjective I know but he probably should have said "Porsche used to put or leave a rough edge on their cars". Looks like they took a little detour away from that with the 991.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:43 PM
RazrPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cbst09
was the base system even available? I have never seen one in a 997.2
I looked at a 2009 base 997.2 Carrera back in 2011 that had just the base stereo (no Bose). So it is possible to find them.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:50 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

It is not just Porsche, I've owned Ferrari's and Lamborghini's and their tech if you want to call it that is really lacking. One of the companies car a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit is full of tech stuff (even talks to you and tells you your texts messages). These cars are about the driving experience which to some means bare bones cars and the only options are the ones that add to that experience. To others it is about tech stuff and heated and vented seats. As my girlfriend says with some things I am still in the stone age. I think sports cars should not be luxury cars and they should scare the crap out of you every now and then. Music not for modern stuff (in fact I've never heard of 95% of the people who make music these days) I have listened to the Grateful Dead every day (except the day of my bypass surgery) for 48 years all I've ever needed and all I ever will.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why did porsche deliberately put ancient tech in its cars audio system till the 997.2