Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 with 100k Miles - Too much risk?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 09:46 PM
PRC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.1 with 100k Miles - Too much risk?

I am considering the purchase of my first Porsche to use as a daily driver - a 2007 C2S cabriolet with 100k miles. It has been a friend's DD since new, and he is now moving up to new turbo. He has taken care of the car (all scheduled maintenance), never tracked it, etc. The vehicle has a new clutch and the brakes & tires have lots of life in them.

The price is the low end of KBB, and I plan to have a PPI performed, but I have never heard of an M97 with this many miles on it. With the exception of the IMS possibility, is this a time bomb from which I should walk away?

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2014, 10:00 PM
gripshifter
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Personally I wouldn't buy any car with 100K miles, but your mileage may vary.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:04 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

^^^^ That's insane logic in my opinion. Well, I should say, it's fine if grippy doesn't want to buy a car with 100K, but he shouldn't be dissuading others from doing so.

What matters more is the car's maintenance. Get a thorough PPI, and enjoy the car if it passes and the price is right.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:50 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

For me it would depend on how many miles I planned on putting on it. I drive mine about 6K miles/yr so it would take me another 5 years to hit 130K, which I would think would not be asking too much of the engine. Of course there are other things besides the engine to go wrong, and even minor repairs on a Porsche can cost a bundle especially if you're not a DIYer. We have an '03 E-class with well over 100K and it runs as smooth and quiet as the day it was new, not that it has any bearing (no pun intended) on a Porsche.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:52 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

100K on a 7 yrs old car = 14K miles/yr. OP knows the owner, car has been serviced regularly, will likely get all the service records from the original owner, and a neighborly price... sounds like a great car provided the PPI is clean. Consider replacing the WP if that hasn't been done already... and make sure the convertible top is working well. Keep us posted on how the car looks.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:35 AM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

If you have details of how well the car was maintained and it does well in the PPI, sure. I bought a 997.2 with 80k miles, which is a lot! The car has a full Porsche service history and passed a PPI.

Loving the car, and its all about how the previous owner maintained the car. Good luck!
Old 04-17-2014, 01:32 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by PRC
I am considering the purchase of my first Porsche to use as a daily driver - a 2007 C2S cabriolet with 100k miles. It has been a friend's DD since new, and he is now moving up to new turbo. He has taken care of the car (all scheduled maintenance), never tracked it, etc. The vehicle has a new clutch and the brakes & tires have lots of life in them.

The price is the low end of KBB, and I plan to have a PPI performed, but I have never heard of an M97 with this many miles on it. With the exception of the IMS possibility, is this a time bomb from which I should walk away?

Thanks!
It's not a Ferrari, it's a Porsche. Why not buy it and add on another 100,000 miles...
Old 04-17-2014, 01:49 AM
PRC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of your input - very much appreciated. The car looks cherry, and the current owner is a Porsche lover. Here's a pic.

Yes, all service records will be included. If this car had 50k, I wouldn't think twice. 100k is a lot of miles... Fingers crossed for the PPI.
Attached Images  
Old 04-17-2014, 07:44 AM
gripshifter
Instructor

[QUOTE=Cuda911;11299304]^^^^ That's insane logic in my opinion. Well, I should say, it's fine if grippy doesn't want to buy a car with 100K, but he shouldn't be dissuading others from doing so.

Not trying to dissuade anyone from doing anything, the OP was asking for opinions and I stated mine; this is what people typically do on forums. Insane logic? Let me guess, your car(s) are getting up there in mileage and you eventually want to sell...
Old 04-17-2014, 07:56 AM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

100k miles is a lot? Is this 1954 or 2014?

This backwards thinking is absolutely incorrect and shows complete ignorance of the longevity of the modern engines and ability of the modern lubricants to protect the moving parts. Modern car with 100k commuter miles will have nearly ZERO wear on the drive-train. Garage queen will have FAR more issues from lack of driving then the car that was constantly driven and maintained.

Here, watch the Mobil 1 video with testing the Mercedes doing 1 million kilometers. 13k mile oil changes.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:11 AM
gripshifter
Instructor

I think there are more tactful ways of disagreeing than calling someone backwards and ignorant for not wanting to buy a 100K mile car when there plenty of alternatives. And I can show you plenty of videos of 100K mile engines that are near break-down.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:58 AM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And that will prove me what? If you don't maintain the car parts fail? Some engines may fail before 100k miles? ^^

Fact is, modern automotive drive-train will last 200-300k with proper maintenance without breaking a sweat. Fact is, average car on US roads is 11.5 years old with average annual mileage of 12k miles, this comes to AVERAGE US car having 130-140k miles and still driving fine. Outliers that fail before 100k miles exist, but as with any statistical distribution their percentage is small. Most cars also get average level of maintenance. Properly serviced Porsche will be in far better shape at 100k miles then a so-so serviced Toyota.

For reference, some of the Honda mileage stories.

http://automobiles.honda.com/mile-makers/
Old 04-17-2014, 10:04 AM
gripshifter
Instructor

[QUOTE=Kalashnikov;11300118]And that will prove me what? If you don't maintain the car parts fail? Some engines may fail before 100k miles? ^^

And what exactly are you proving? You provided a link showing a 100K Mercedes engine - uh, this is a Mobile 1 sponsored commercial. Unless this is your engine you have no idea how much went into restoring or repairing this engine to make this commercial. Brilliant.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:16 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

What would be crazy would be paying too much for a 100k car. A fair price is what you should look for. Do your PPi, and then make the call. I have 103,000 kms on my car, or 60,000 miles. I bought it for a fair price. It was well maintained, I have full records. I has some previously inflicted patina and therefore I don't worry too much about it. If I had $100,000 dollars in this car, I would be a mess. Worried about where it is parked, taking the kids shoes off so they don't get the back seat dirty. Driving slow through deep puddle, not driving it in high humidity rain. I have driven this car the last 372 days every day, save 4 when the snow was deeper than the fog lights.

PPi and price = FUN FOR THE SUMMER

Shop wisely and you may never look back. It may also be your last Porsche because you will keep it, or it maybe your first Porsche, as you have now drunk the elixir.
Do you need it? NO. Your could drive a soulless impala. Its still cheaper than a girlfriend.
Buy it well, and you should be able to unload it if you need or want to.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:54 AM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Can't wait to see the results of the PPI! The car looks great in the picture. If the PPI is clean and the price is right that car will provide the new owner with tons of fun. I agree with BigSmoke in the previous reply - not having a huge investment in a car sure makes it less stressful to own. Positives include having a lot more money in the retirement account, and fewer tears after a door ding. Plus you get a convertible to rip around in just in time for summer. Yee-Ha!

Quick Reply: 997.1 with 100k Miles - Too much risk?