Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cup holder door is droopy. Any solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 10:53 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,420 Likes on 862 Posts
Default Cup holder door is droopy. Any solutions?

Odd, my cupholder door doesn't close all the way. It is minor but bugs me. Anyone else with this? A way to adjust?

How do I remove it to inspect the mechanism?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-29-2014, 01:55 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Entire unit is held in by only 2 screws, open the glove box to see, then it just slides out.
Are the 2 holder assemblies pushed all the way in and fully closed,That can prevent closure.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:01 PM
r_32
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always have to try to shut it about 5 times every time someone gets in car and opens it. Drives me nuts.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:57 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

If something goes wrong with the cupholder assembly, the entire unit needs to be replaced. No individual parts are available. Big bucks. Look for units from a car breaker.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:08 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Actually, I fixed it! Sort of...

Thanx Larry, I found the two screws underneath and removed the unit. It then has about 7 torx screws to remove the unit's "lid" and this will get you to the gory insides. It is pretty impossible to describe what the latch mechanism looks like, but there is a stem that rises from the door and this has the "latch pin" that then interacts with a cam thingy.

So what did I do? I bent the F'r!!! You bet, some good old brute force. Actually, I jammed a small screw driver in there, and then clamped the door with a small vice grip (covered the door with a piece of thick towel. Let it sit for about 1 hour hoping the plastic would deform enough. Then put it back together and it worked!

I figured if I broke it, I would just obtain another unit from a dismantler. The doors come off so you can keep your trim.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-29-2014, 10:26 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Actually, I fixed it! Sort of...

Thanx Larry, I found the two screws underneath and removed the unit. It then has about 7 torx screws to remove the unit's "lid" and this will get you to the gory insides. It is pretty impossible to describe what the latch mechanism looks like, but there is a stem that rises from the door and this has the "latch pin" that then interacts with a cam thingy.

So what did I do? I bent the F'r!!! You bet, some good old brute force. Actually, I jammed a small screw driver in there, and then clamped the door with a small vice grip (covered the door with a piece of thick towel. Let it sit for about 1 hour hoping the plastic would deform enough. Then put it back together and it worked!

I figured if I broke it, I would just obtain another unit from a dismantler. The doors come off so you can keep your trim.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Nice work Bruce. !
Old 03-30-2014, 10:36 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by r_32
I always have to try to shut it about 5 times every time someone gets in car and opens it. Drives me nuts.
You may be able to fix this.

The way the door locks, is a cam drops using both gravity and a very clever channel the "latch pin" follows. I will bet one of the following:

1 - That white cam thingy is not dropping
2 - The pin or the extension from the door is bent a bit
3 - You are not pressing the door closed enough to allow the cam to drop

For 1, there is a light oil in there.... maybe the mfgr put too much and it is gummed up. For 2, bend the F'r until it works. For 3 test it by slowly closing the door and pushing hard and in really far. Press on that center icon. If it now works, then you may have found your problem (opposite of what I had). To fix 3, with bend the F'r the opposite of what I did, or just try loosening the two mounting screws underneath as there is some play in the nut above that may allow you to pull the unit out a mm or two.

Given that I am now the global expert on the white cam thingy, I feel pretty confident you can adjust this mechanism to work better.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
The following users liked this post:
dadster (01-10-2022)
Old 03-30-2014, 11:59 AM
r_32
Instructor

Thanks Bruce. I am going to try it out next wkend when I can have some quality time w the car.
You are now the white cam thingy guru!
Old 03-30-2014, 12:18 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info. Will try on mine. I have the droops as well.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:49 PM
Gewgaw
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bruce, I found this thread while doing searches to solve my cup holder door woes, and your "Bend It Like Bruce" method TOTALLY WORKED. Thanks, man!

For future reference if others have the same issue, here's a photo of my set up in mid-bend. You can see the clamp along the left, and the allen hex wrench I jammed into the mechanism to keep the black tab thing from hitting bottom. Take it slow and easy and things won't break.

The following users liked this post:
dadster (01-10-2022)
Old 08-27-2015, 12:29 AM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

Here is one time where Bruce force is the answer. Will try this weekend.
The following 2 users liked this post by JustinCase:
Carerra (06-25-2019), MexicoBlueTurboS (06-25-2019)
Old 08-27-2015, 07:29 PM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 93 Posts

Mine was like that since I got the car. Been meaning to get in there and figure it out but was too busy enjoying the drive
Thanks for taking the time.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:12 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Was just about to post a picture to clarify the "white cam". Thanks for the pic. Will report back after the bend!
Old 08-28-2015, 04:03 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Odd, my cupholder door doesn't close all the way. It is minor but bugs me. Anyone else with this? A way to adjust?

How do I remove it to inspect the mechanism?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Mine just started pulling this crap, just needs to be tightened up but haven't looked into it yet.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:40 PM
Jipper
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter pulled the cover down too far and the cam mechanism housing split so was left with door droop. Used Velcro for a few months to hold the door up in the closed position. Now that it's warmer, the Velcro glue lets go - so more door droop. Solved it today by removing the cupholder unit and used a small pair of snippers to break the two springs which force the door open when not held closed. Now the cover rests in the closed position without the cam lock. I added a small Velcro strip above the little cup image as a tag I can pull to open the flap. No more door droop.

Quick Reply: Cup holder door is droopy. Any solutions?