Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 (2009) Rear seat removal - increases storage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 05:02 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,535 Likes on 925 Posts
Default 997.2 (2009) Rear seat removal - increases storage?

I am thinking about removing my rear seats. I understand it is pretty simple and the bottoms are just velcro'd in. Two questions:

1) Do I need this $200 item? http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...de=9972gtintup

2) Does it increase storage capacity?

I do photography and carry a big tripod around. The way I carry it now, is that I put the seat backs down which makes for a nice flat deck. I then stretch a bungy cord across, lay the 'pod down, and slip a piece of it under the cord. It works, doesn't slide or bang around. But I would love a bit more capacity.... not sure if I will like losing the flat deck of the downed seats.

Any ideas or perspectives?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-23-2014, 05:43 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 568 Likes on 338 Posts

bruce, im in the same posiition as you, for small shoots i fold the seats down and throw 2-3 tripods (in full padded cases) in the back deck. the tripod bag padding+carpeted deck+seatbelts prevent them from moving around.

i would remove the rear seats first, then do as you normally would with the tripod lugging and see how much more practical usable space that is to you.

im guessing is you may not even need those bolts covers if your equipment is in padded bags.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:09 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Dude, I thought I was the only knucklehead using a 911 as a photo van! When I drive around the NJ salt marshes, I suck in all kind of crap into my air filters.... I change them out after just a few trips there.

Gotta blog? Send me some links to your stuff.

My blog:
http://travelthroughpictures.com/

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-23-2014, 06:17 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

$200 to cover a bunch of bolts...I know our cars are money-pits but this is redonculous!

I like the bench the folded down rear seats create, I put my golf bag on it.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:51 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 568 Likes on 338 Posts

pm'd!

and lol i only bring out the p-car when i am not in charge of the shoots (not my jobs) otherwise its all the suv doing the hauling.

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Dude, I thought I was the only knucklehead using a 911 as a photo van! When I drive around the NJ salt marshes, I suck in all kind of crap into my air filters.... I change them out after just a few trips there.

Gotta blog? Send me some links to your stuff.

My blog:
http://travelthroughpictures.com/

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-24-2014, 12:36 AM
Vape NYC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my opinion using a porsche 911 coupe even as an occasional production vehicle is pure blasphemy....... which is why I got a Targa!!!!!

I have yet to figure out a good way to tie the rear hatch down so I can carry large items if necessary with the hatch partially open. I almost ended up trying to put several 2' by 4' Realtrap sound baffles in the rear but sticking partially out, to put together a makeshift sound booth to record a voice over at a client's office. The session got cancelled but I still want to figure out a way to essentially make my Targa 4S into an occasional mini pick up truck when needed since this is my only vehicle. I just remember seeing the 911's I was test driving and thinking that if the rear window would only pop up, the car would be so much more practical.

I may need to soon transport an arri light kit in a case and I am hoping it will fit with the hatch closed.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:42 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

I will be turning my sled into a landscaping vehicle soon. Then a golfing cart.
I can understand needing your vehicle to be multipurpose.

Last edited by BIG smoke; 04-16-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:37 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vape NYC
In my opinion using a porsche 911 coupe even as an occasional production vehicle is pure blasphemy.......
Yep, I can make the most hardcore Porchephile gag up their waffles if they saw what I would do with mine. I drive that thing though the sandy, marshy areas of NJ salt marshes, in the muck along the Susquehanna, and any dirt road I can find. I am picky about dirt roads as I only like the really bumpy ones with pot holes and that kick up super dust clouds to be sucked right on into the engine. I was serious in that I have to change those air filters every few visits.

I have a friend who has owned three 911s..... he never put more than 5K miles on them and refuses to drive them in anything but the most perfect weather. Not even in the winter on a good day as there may be traces of salt. I like to drive by his home when on my way back from a photography trip .... I really love a laugh..... he will actually cry..... just turns red and cries.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-24-2014, 04:38 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
$200 to cover a bunch of bolts...I know our cars are money-pits but this is redonculous!
It all depends on what someone wants to do with the space.

If you are going to install a custom hard storage bay - that hardware is likely unnecessary.

If you are going to install some soft storage space - say a place for dogs, it may be useful in keeping injury or damage to the soft material from occurring.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:14 PM
Mojo31
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, I carry photo gear in mine as well.

I don't go to salt marshes though. Probably because there aren't any around here.

My big whites in their roller case fit nicely in the frunk, along with monopods and lighting gear.

www.jimlanter.us

I also carry my son's tenor sax in back.

Quick Reply: 997.2 (2009) Rear seat removal - increases storage?