Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 997 owner with PSE Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014 | 06:55 PM
lstoker
Intermediate

Default New 997 owner with PSE Question

I've just taken delivery of a '09 997.2 a couple weeks ago, and frankly I am confused on what exhaust I have…It's a C4S so from research, I know that come with the solenoid controlled flaps one side of each outlet. However what confuses me is that I have the PSE button on the dash next to my Sport and PASM buttons. The original build sheet has Sport Chrono Plus & PASM but not the PSE.

I originally thought that the PSE was added later because it was a 2009 and the option didn't seem to be available early on. I looked under the car and my exhaust does not look like the first photo… It looks like the second photo describing the stock S exhaust. If that's the case, why do I have the PSE (binocular) button?

Old 03-19-2014 | 07:31 PM
lstoker
Intermediate

ETA: Like a newbie I believe I may have confused myself, the picture I posted above and the one you circled seems to be the 997.1 design (maybe?), I'm assuming that's what the blue car is.

Sharkwerks shows this as a picture of the 997.2 3 piece design PSE which is what mine looks like.

ETA: Seems the 997.2 has the same center section muffler regardless of if you have the PSE or not. I guess this was a change on the DFI engine.
Old 03-19-2014 | 08:01 PM
Cbst09
Racer

So are you questioning whether you have a PSE or not? Does the exhaust tone sound any different with the PSE button on vs. off? If so then you probably have a PSE system that was dealer installed.

From my understanding the PSE will not look any different than the standard 997.2 exhaust except that there will be a bypass pipe that bypasses the mufflers on the left and right sides with a valve that is actuated by the switch inside the car. When the valve is open a portion of the exhaust bypasses the mufflers and when closed all of the exhaust passes through the side mufflers. This is basically a "gundo hack" with a switched valve in it.
Old 03-19-2014 | 08:14 PM
lstoker
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cbst09
So are you questioning whether you have a PSE or not? Does the exhaust tone sound any different with the PSE button on vs. off? If so then you probably have a PSE system that was dealer installed.

From my understanding the PSE will not look any different than the standard 997.2 exhaust except that there will be a bypass pipe that bypasses the mufflers on the left and right sides with a valve that is actuated by the switch inside the car. When the valve is open a portion of the exhaust bypasses the mufflers and when closed all of the exhaust passes through the side mufflers. This is basically a "gundo hack" with a switched valve in it.
Your right, the .2 PSE apparently looks totally different from the .1 PSE. I was researching center muffler bypass pipes when I came across the above pictures and knew they were different than what I had. Never realized I was looking at 997.1 pictures
Old 03-19-2014 | 09:40 PM
destro
Rennlist Member

Some later build 2009 cars got PSE, but it was NOT available at launch. If you press the PSE (binocular) button, the exhaust note should get noticeably louder. I believe the piping should look the same between PSE and non PSE cars... the baffles inside the secondary (side) mufflers open when PSE is on.
Old 03-19-2014 | 11:08 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

But the tips are very different looking.
PSE versus stock is very different
And 997.1 PSE and 997.2 PSE tips are very different
Old 03-19-2014 | 11:13 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Default 997.2 PSE tips

If your tips look like this you have 997.2 PSE
Old 03-19-2014 | 11:17 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Default Sorry. Here's pic

Hopefully shows