Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Numeric Shifter Review and Installation - Part 1 of 5

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 12:27 AM
pressure ratio
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

My shifter was the non-SSK and definitely a little sloppy from wear. The Numeric was a great upgrade for sure.

Originally Posted by Skwerl
I installed my Numeric shifter and Raceseng weighted shift **** over the weekend.
What Raceseng shift **** did you go with? Do you have any pictures of it installed in the car?
Old 05-25-2019, 06:04 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 306 Posts

I just want to thank those who have contributed to this thread. I recently purchased a 2008 GT2 that has a Numeric Racing shifter already installed and is on what I have to assume is the shortest setting. The shifting is TOO aggressive for me, meaning it works fine but I suspect the gearbox synchros are getting over-worked as this sucker changes gear faster than anything I've ever driven. I was looking for a thread like this to learn how to change the shifter settings and I am going to change mine to the middle setting. In reference to my own liking, I have a 2010 GT3 RS and like its OEM shifter just fine in terms of throws and feel, and this Numeric Racing unit is very aggressive in comparison. I will report back when I discover which setting mine was actually on too, so that the mystery can be revealed.

Happy Memorial Day weekend to my RL brothers and sisters!
Old 05-27-2019, 01:10 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 306 Posts

Figured you guys would all get a kick out of the update.

I confirmed it really is the Numeric Racing shifter installed in my GT2 and it was actually on the middle setting, not the most aggressive one, which surprised me. I put it onto the least aggressive setting and am now much happier with the shifting, meaning this is the ideal length for me. How cool is it to have an adjustable shifter though? Knowing I can alter it to another setting in about 10 minutes is pretty amazing.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:42 AM
pressure ratio
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

It is great to be able to change the throw so easily.

I will say I had a similar experience as you. I went from a standard shifter (non-SSK) to the lowest setting on the Numeric shifter. The shifting effort was higher as expected. On other cars, I had used a weighted shift **** to smooth out shifting. I just added one to my 911 last week. It made the engagement effort easier and smoother. Something you can consider as well.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:59 AM
Roy996tt
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dymag
I recently had the Numeric Shifter and Cables installed on my 997.2 C4S. HIGHLY recommended; the shift feel and precision are superb - I was immediately impressed. I came from a Porsche SSK with OE cables.

The SSK/cable combo was installed at my local P dealership by a Master Tech; he was very excited when I picked up my car. He explained that he was very impressed with the build quality, and loved how the shifting was transformed.

With both the SSK and cables, I did experience an increase in cabin mechanical "sounds". This was only an issue when I was driving with windows closed, music off, and wife present (more so when her volume was turned off). I really enjoy the feel and definitive shifting of the Numeric parts, but the mechanical sound was a bit too much for me in a daily driver. I believed that the cables added too much transfer of sound, due to their solid build quality. I talked with the Porsche Tech about things, and told me "NO . . . . I could not change the cables back to stock - this Numeric set-up is too awesome to go back". I called Numeric and spoke with Dan; he was great and had input about a few other people with similar needs and goals. He advised use of his silicone cable wrap.

I ordered the silicone wrap/insulation, along with a little Dynamat as my P Tech advised . . . . . . problem solved !

My experience with Numeric is very positive. Dan and his Customer Service was/is excellent. Dan guided me to insulation and installation instructions for me to pass along to the Tech who did the work.

The Numeric combo is outstanding. Highly recommended.
Dymag -

Thanks for shedding light on the "sounds" and the solution of silicone wrap/insulation and Dynamat.

I just got my car back from a costly transmission rebuild.

A year sgo I had the clutch replaced and opted for the RS lightweight flywheel and Sachs pressure plate. I love the set-up, but it does have a "nuts in a blender" sound in neutral at idle. I have learned that it is normal and well, #becauseracecar.

Fast forward, trans rebuilt AND Numeric cables installed. Now the "nuts in blender" sound has been amplified and is transmitting through the center console during a certain RPM range. I thought the trans was coming unglued. I get it now!

P.S. I started looking at this post because I too purchased the Numeric SSK. Recieved it today and was looking for a DIY. Also, coming from stock / Porsche SSK. It's a beautiful piece and I too will regret covering it up.

Thanks to the OP and all who contributed!

Roy
Old 02-06-2020, 06:57 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

This was a great write up and used if for my install last night. Is anyone having an issue getting into reverse? Here is a post I put in another thread, but thought I should ask here as all of you guys have installed them and probably have this thread subscribed:

I just installed the shifter (cables are OEM) last night and love how it shifts, but reverse seems a little tricky. Installed in the shortest position. Anyone else have the same situation? Not sure if I may have done something wrong of if it is just because the shifting is so tight, that it is now close to 1st gear and a little tricky to get into gear, and a situation that it just takes time to get use to?

It is hard to see down inside the area, but I don't think it is being effected by the carpet. I do hear/feel kind of like the spring (the one on the passenger side/black shift cable) is rubbing against the frame or something. Hopefully someone with more experience or someone from Numeric will pipe in.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:59 PM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH
This was a great write up and used if for my install last night. Is anyone having an issue getting into reverse? Here is a post I put in another thread, but thought I should ask here as all of you guys have installed them and probably have this thread subscribed:

I just installed the shifter (cables are OEM) last night and love how it shifts, but reverse seems a little tricky. Installed in the shortest position. Anyone else have the same situation? Not sure if I may have done something wrong of if it is just because the shifting is so tight, that it is now close to 1st gear and a little tricky to get into gear, and a situation that it just takes time to get use to?

It is hard to see down inside the area, but I don't think it is being effected by the carpet. I do hear/feel kind of like the spring (the one on the passenger side/black shift cable) is rubbing against the frame or something. Hopefully someone with more experience or someone from Numeric will pipe in.
I have installed them with cables on (2) cars no issues have you tried contacting support, the factory cables are not the greatest and does feel different after I swapped them out nothing like what your describing,
Old 02-07-2020, 02:43 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 220 Likes on 135 Posts

Give us a call if you need any help!

www.numericracing.com
sales@numericracing.com
Ph: 844-686-7223
Old 02-10-2020, 09:56 AM
Tsmith5150
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I myself am thinking of new cables. I installed the B&M short shift and it is a shorter throw, however my shifting is not smooth like I want it. Over time my shift became a little crunchy so to speak even prior to installing my short shift. I think that its time for me to get new cables to hopefully bring back the smooth shifting. I am contemplating going with the OEM or Numeric. I know that the Numeric cables have a different hookup under the shifter. So thats my issue. Any thoughts or opinions?
Old 02-10-2020, 12:46 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 220 Likes on 135 Posts
Default Numeric Racing

Originally Posted by Tsmith5150
I myself am thinking of new cables. I installed the B&M short shift and it is a shorter throw, however my shifting is not smooth like I want it. Over time my shift became a little crunchy so to speak even prior to installing my short shift. I think that its time for me to get new cables to hopefully bring back the smooth shifting. I am contemplating going with the OEM or Numeric. I know that the Numeric cables have a different hookup under the shifter. So thats my issue. Any thoughts or opinions?
Give me a cal and I can discuss this with you.

Factory Dan
819-920-4415
Old 02-13-2020, 12:59 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

My track car is back in storage (WI winters) however, driving from my tuner to my shop was fun.
My car had the original EVOM kit along with RUF linkage in the back end........we ripped all that out.....Numeric + P. MotorSport cables/shroud.
Short drive back to my shop it was a bit like driving a different car...........looking forward to breaking it in some more.

Last edited by GreggT; 02-13-2020 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:12 PM
Tsmith5150
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GreggT
My track car is back in storage (WI winters) however, driving from my tuner to my shop was fun.
My car had the original EVOM kit along with RUF linkage in the back end........we ripped all that out.....Numeric + P. MotorSport cables/shroud.
Short drive back to my shop it was a bit like driving a different car...........looking forward to breaking it it some more.
So you like the Numeric cables so far...
Mine are on the way.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:15 PM
Tsmith5150
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Numeric Racing
Give me a cal and I can discuss this with you.

Factory Dan
819-920-4415
I ordered mine Dan. Looking forward to receiving them. Not so much the install but I've installed my shifter with no issues. It wasn't too bad taking out the console and all that stuff. Nevertheless, I am eager to do that and update to a new trans fluid.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:28 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Just by way of update, I called Numeric and adjusted my cables, which fixed my problem. At any rate, I absolutely love this modification!!! one of my favorites so far. You know when you add a modification and you get so use to it that you kind of forget it is there. This modification, I am quickly reminded as soon as I get into the car and put it in reverse and pull it out of the garage, how much it has changed/transformed the car. When I was adjusting the cables, I left the leather boot off, but installed the ****, so I can see what was going on inside the mechanism to figure out what the problem was. At this point, I am having a hard time putting the boot back on, the piece is so beautiful. Also, the shifts are so dang short and crisp. I love the mechanical feels and how direct it feels.
The following users liked this post:
Tsmith5150 (02-13-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 02:54 PM
Tsmith5150
Intermediate

Just by way of update, I called Numeric and adjusted my cables, which fixed my problem. At any rate, I absolutely love this modification!!! one of my favorites so far. You know when you add a modification and you get so use to it that you kind of forget it is there. This modification, I am quickly reminded as soon as I get into the car and put it in reverse and pull it out of the garage, how much it has changed/transformed the car. When I was adjusting the cables, I left the leather boot off, but installed the ****, so I can see what was going on inside the mechanism to figure out what the problem was. At this point, I am having a hard time putting the boot back on, the piece is so beautiful. Also, the shifts are so dang short and crisp. I love the mechanical feels and how direct it feels.
NICE !
These cars are certainly a driving experience. Well my cable should be in soon. I have a B&M short shift in at this point. I like the position of it. Like I mentioned before, I am going to switch out my trans fluid from Mobilube PTX for the RED LINE 75w90ns. I want to see if this will soften up the crunch shifting before I install the cables.

Quick Reply: Numeric Shifter Review and Installation - Part 1 of 5