Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Numeric Shifter Review and Installation - Part 1 of 5

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 07:57 PM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 68 Posts

I´ve tried a numeric shifter and it really improves the driving experience!
Old 12-12-2018, 06:30 PM
Dymag
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Numeric Shifter and Cables

I recently had the Numeric Shifter and Cables installed on my 997.2 C4S. HIGHLY recommended; the shift feel and precision are superb - I was immediately impressed. I came from a Porsche SSK with OE cables.

The SSK/cable combo was installed at my local P dealership by a Master Tech; he was very excited when I picked up my car. He explained that he was very impressed with the build quality, and loved how the shifting was transformed.

With both the SSK and cables, I did experience an increase in cabin mechanical "sounds". This was only an issue when I was driving with windows closed, music off, and wife present (more so when her volume was turned off). I really enjoy the feel and definitive shifting of the Numeric parts, but the mechanical sound was a bit too much for me in a daily driver. I believed that the cables added too much transfer of sound, due to their solid build quality. I talked with the Porsche Tech about things, and told me "NO . . . . I could not change the cables back to stock - this Numeric set-up is too awesome to go back". I called Numeric and spoke with Dan; he was great and had input about a few other people with similar needs and goals. He advised use of his silicone cable wrap.

I ordered the silicone wrap/insulation, along with a little Dynamat as my P Tech advised . . . . . . problem solved !

My experience with Numeric is very positive. Dan and his Customer Service was/is excellent. Dan guided me to insulation and installation instructions for me to pass along to the Tech who did the work.

The Numeric combo is outstanding. Highly recommended.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dymag:
JEHolloway (03-02-2020), Roy996tt (07-11-2019)
Old 12-12-2018, 06:51 PM
JCGMS
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Another satisfied customer here!

Used this thread to DIY the shifter only, no cables. I was able to do it on Halloween night pre- and post- trick or treating with the kids. Pretty straightforward. Thanks USMC and collaborators.

Love the feel - it has helped reignite my love affair with the 997.

l'm also happy to report that it has not exacerbated the occasional difficult shift into first issue (this worry was the main reason I didn't get it done years ago).
Old 12-14-2018, 02:41 AM
Saruman
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dymag
I called Numeric and spoke with Dan; he was great and had input about a few other people with similar needs and goals. He advised use of his silicone cable wrap.

I ordered the silicone wrap/insulation, along with a little Dynamat as my P Tech advised . . . . . . problem solved !

My experience with Numeric is very positive. Dan and his Customer Service was/is excellent. Dan guided me to insulation and installation instructions for me to pass along to the Tech who did the work.
Are you able to share a link to the installation instructions for the insulation? I have the Numeric Racing shifter and cables already installed. If I can install the insulation without removing the cables, I will get it, but I’m not super-excited about the idea of removing and reinstalling the cables.

Thank you!
Old 12-14-2018, 03:00 AM
Dymag
Rennlist Member

Default Numeric cable insulation.

Originally Posted by Saruman

Are you able to share a link to the installation instructions for the insulation? I have the Numeric Racing shifter and cables already installed. If I can install the insulation without removing the cables, I will get it, but I’m not super-excited about the idea of removing and reinstalling the cables.

Thank you!
Are you having issues with noisy cables ? What are you experiencing ?

https://numericracing.com/store/insulation/
Old 12-14-2018, 10:32 AM
seigniorage
Intermediate

Thank you!
I installed my numeric shifter + cables a week ago, bought the insulation and installed it after putting the cables in...so you could definitely do it. I cut mine in a spiral, put some wd-40 on it and just twisted it into onto the shift cables. I reused the rubber grommet from the OEM cables, so I cut the insulation in half and did it separate for inside/outside...you'll probably need to take off the emergency brake bracket inside

By reusing the OEM grommet + having the insulation I haven't really noticed any increase in cabin noise. I bought some knock off dynamat just in case, but I don't think I need it. I also have RSS engine mounts & orange FF1 transmission inserts installed.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:27 AM
Saruman
AutoX

Thank you. That’s exactly what I was hoping. I have the RSS engine mounts and FF transmission mount inserts too. The cables are transmitting noticeable gear whine, which I do not consider a pleasant sound. I’ll definitely order the wrap and try it out.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:59 PM
Dymag
Rennlist Member

Thank you. That’s exactly what I was hoping. I have the RSS engine mounts and FF transmission mount inserts too. The cables are transmitting noticeable gear whine, which I do not consider a pleasant sound. I’ll definitely order the wrap and try it out.
Originally Posted by seigniorage
I installed my numeric shifter + cables a week ago, bought the insulation and installed it after putting the cables in...so you could definitely do it. I cut mine in a spiral, put some wd-40 on it and just twisted it into onto the shift cables. I reused the rubber grommet from the OEM cables, so I cut the insulation in half and did it separate for inside/outside...you'll probably need to take off the emergency brake bracket inside

By reusing the OEM grommet + having the insulation I haven't really noticed any increase in cabin noise. I bought some knock off dynamat just in case, but I don't think I need it. I also have RSS engine mounts & orange FF1 transmission inserts installed.
I ran the Dynamat at the same time as the silicone insulation - I was ready to move on to the next project. I am now quite pleased with the Numeric SSK/cables.

?, If you Gentlemen run FF tranny mount inserts, why not run FF engine mounts as well? Do you prefer the RSS ? What can I expect from an engine mount upgrade ? Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Lastdragon (09-26-2019)
Old 12-16-2018, 05:45 PM
Saruman
AutoX

No good reason in my case. I just happened to do the RSS engine mounts first. I also have RSS front lower control arms. I did the transmission mounts later and I don’t think RSS makes those.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:46 PM
seigniorage
Intermediate

No good reason in my case. I just happened to do the RSS engine mounts first. I also have RSS front lower control arms. I did the transmission mounts later and I don’t think RSS makes those.
Originally Posted by Dymag
I ran the Dynamat at the same time as the silicone insulation - I was ready to move on to the next project. I am now quite pleased with the Numeric SSK/cables.

?, If you Gentlemen run FF tranny mount inserts, why not run FF engine mounts as well? Do you prefer the RSS ? What can I expect from an engine mount upgrade ? Thanks
Same here, I did RSS first...did FF at the same time as numeric shifter & cables.

I can say when I installed my RSS mounts I could definitely tell the difference...my car had ~38k miles at the time.

Only took like 30 minutes to put in...on my 997.2 I didn’t even need to remove the air box, just loosened the cover.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:41 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

And to think that Numeric Racing is just a regular guy (Dan) tinkering in his garage outside Tampa.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:37 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

I installed my Numeric shifter and Raceseng weighted shift **** over the weekend. Numeric's manual and this DIY thread helped for sure, but it still took me a few hours (albeit under less-than-ideal lighting conditions). My biggest issue was getting the black cable's metal retaining clip back in place, since there's a pillar in the shift unit blocking access. Of course, trying to remove the cable again to install the clip outside of the unit ended up with me breaking one part of the cable's plastic clip, but a strategically placed zip tie should keep it all in place until my indy replaces both cables with Numeric's heavy duty set in the next few weeks.

My other install issue was that for some reason, despite having the cable ends inserted into the blue/black clips to exactly the same depth as they were on the stock shifter (I even had taken a reference photo), the shifter wouldn't let me go left far enough to engage reverse. I was afraid I had absentmindedly moved the cables to 4th or 6th or something when I took the original unit out, meaning the Numeric's "neutral" was actually "in gear," but for whatever reason after popping the cable ends out and back in a few times in the same positions, worried I'd never get them aligned right and actually be able to drive the car, it magically loosened up and started working properly. From what I could tell, the blue cable was refusing to move and causing the issue.

I have to admit, the OEM Turbo shifter I pulled out is basically as smooth as the Numeric, so it's hard to imagine the new shifter making a whole lot of difference. The factory shifter, even with its plastic interfacing, is already buttery smooth, at least outside the car, and it appears that any tightness/slop/etc. is coming from the cables, not the shifter itself.

My first driving impression was hard to take in, with the heavy shift **** and shortened shift length. After raising the lever to the highest position, approximating factory height, it felt much more comfortable for me. Of course, on final install I managed to cross-thread the **** onto the soft aluminum adapter, so I'm out another $80 waiting for a replacement adapter to come in.

Overall, I'm thinking the **** and cables will make a greater difference than the shifter by itself. Maybe the non-Turbo shifters are grittier or squishier, though mine had 80k miles on it so I expected it to be in worse shape.

Last edited by Skwerl; 01-09-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:55 PM
Xios
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Installed one a couple weeks ago. No issues. Big difference, highly recommend it.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:10 PM
Dymag
Rennlist Member

Default Numeric Shifter and Cables

Does anyone else experience "clunking" sound at the top of the shifts ? Has anyone else experienced this and found a resolution ?
Old 01-09-2019, 05:13 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 80 Posts

duplicate post

Last edited by quickxotica; 01-09-2019 at 05:15 PM. Reason: duplicate post

Quick Reply: Numeric Shifter Review and Installation - Part 1 of 5