Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard wiring a radar detector

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 11:21 PM
ATLDiver
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gibby, do you like the mirror mount? I was toying with picking one of those up but had read a few reviews about hard to quickly attach and disconnect the RD. Since I have a Cab, putting it in the glovebox when I get out each time is required.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:39 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Here was my install. Vastly different than others. I went with remote displays and controls, routing the wire via the right A pillar and along the top of the windshield so that the connector didn't have to make a severe bend next to the receiver.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...tallation.html
Old 03-19-2014, 03:32 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLDiver
Gibby, do you like the mirror mount? I was toying with picking one of those up but had read a few reviews about hard to quickly attach and disconnect the RD. Since I have a Cab, putting it in the glovebox when I get out each time is required.
I have the same mirror mount and it's easily the best solution so far. All metal and very sturdy. Wiring taps into the sun roof/overhead lighting panel inches away and becomes invisible except where it plugs into the RD. Ease of detaching depends on brand of RD I'm guessing. Mine is a BEL RX65 which takes all of 5 seconds to remove.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:01 AM
ATLDiver
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was under the understanding that wiring into the overhead light console was not an option as I don't have the self-dimming mirror. I was planning on routing the wire to the fuse box but I would prefer powering from the light if I could, it would be cleaner for sure.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:16 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

I'd argue that going to the fuse box is cleaner since you can do that without have to splice into any factory wires or take apart anything in the headliner area. The wire being visible around the windshield pillar is the only undesirable part, put it stays tightly there and isn't seen by anyone, especially from the passenger side. Getting it under the pillar trim is possible, but then that reduces the benefit that you get from not having to open anything in the top part of the car.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:21 AM
Vape NYC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Here was my install.
The only think I don't like about your interior is that it isn't my car...

Quick Reply: Hard wiring a radar detector