Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hint on obscuring the gray toll tag...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 10:18 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts
Default Hint on obscuring the gray toll tag...

One of the things that bugged me with a toll tag was that they use a light colored backing that shows up fairly noticeably from outside (as seen in the first photo of my wife's car with the gray sticker at the top of the windshield near the center). One way to get rid of this is to not have a toll tag, but with Texas going wild with toll roads this is becoming more necessary, especially if you want to benefit from some of the 80 and 85mph speed limits around the Austin area.

To make the toll tag less obvious, I've used a small piece of 15% tint cut just barely larger than the toll tag to make it blend in. In the second photo, you can see it (along with my rain sensor and radar detector mount) when the lighting is just right. Much of the time it just disappears like you see in the third and fourth photos.

It seems that the toll equipment can still read the signal just fine, although I did use non-metallic ceramic tint just to be safe. Of course, in Texas I could just leave the tag off and they still look up and charge the car by the license plate, but I'm okay with making things simpler by using the tag when it disappears so nicely with this technique. Inside the car, I've positioned it so I can't really see it nor can the passenger. It's tucked in on the drivers side behind the mirror and where the radar detector mostly blocks it from my line of sight.

The small tint square can normally be obtained by just asking a local tint place for a scrap piece. They even refused my offer for five bucks as a thank-you, but then again they did do the tinting for my car previously. Its easy to cut. I used scotch tape to hold the tag in place on the tint and used a fresh single-edged razor and a ruler to cut the tint while leaving about a one-sixteenth inch border. Be sure to use a safe backing like a thick piece of cardboard behind it while cutting. Use water in a bowl with a single drop of baby shampoo to wet the tint, place it on the windshield, then use a squegee or just a credit card to smooth out the bubbles. Be sure to let it fully dry before carefully placing the toll tag on it since the toll tag will tend to pull sections of it back off if it is not fully adhered first (a lesson learned). Be very careful on placing it, you have one chance and if you did it like me you only have a sixteenth inch of border to play with.

If you already have a toll tag in place and want to do this, removing it will destroy it but the toll tag center had no trouble giving me another.

Just a minor styling tip for those who are always honing the details....
Attached Images     
Old 03-01-2014, 10:41 AM
josephmonaco924
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those with ezpass I ordered the black tag that screws onto the front license plate. I think it is for trucks but you can order it for a car. Not sure if other toll networks offer it too.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:47 PM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

They don't take coins?
Old 03-01-2014, 01:18 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Our toll system uses a transponder, on both of my cars I'm able to jam the transponder between the rear view mirror arm and the windshield, it's a light snug fit but not to the point of damaging/risking the mirror arm or the transponder, and the transponder completely disappears behind the black tint strip at the top of windshield.

Because the transponder came with light color Velcro type strips, I just put a piece of black electrical tape over the Velcro first, works well.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:03 PM
kthung
Intermediate

Ever since I got my windshield replaced I never bothered to remount my ez-pass. I leave it in the glove compartment and just pull it out and hold it up the the windshield as I'm going through the toll. The other 99.99% of the time I'm driving theres nothing there. May be annoying for those that go through tolls more frequently but for me I only use it once a month
Old 03-01-2014, 02:51 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

here in S FL we have the option of a decal similar to OP or a small 1 x 4 transponder, which is great for portability; i.e., using on a rental car. another RL'r mentioned painting whchever item flat black, which I just happened to have a rattle can of....did it. nice and subtle right near the rear view mirror.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:43 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 494 Likes on 234 Posts

Mine is between the aluminum support structure for the front bumper and the front bumper
Yes, you have to take the front bumper off for that but it's truly stealthy :-)
Old 03-01-2014, 06:52 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,412 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Yep, I paint my transponder box with flat black paint. Disappears on the windshield.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:12 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Yep, I paint my transponder box with flat black paint. Disappears on the windshield.
Thats what my friend did with his. He painted it with black spray paint that he had in his garage. You cant see it!
Old 03-01-2014, 08:29 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrono
They don't take coins?
Virtually all of the tolls roads in Central Texas no longer accept coins or cash and are almost always unattended. You are required to have a toll tag (normally a nearly flat device sticker that sticks on the windshield and looks a lot like an inspection sticker except thicker) to get the best rate. You can skip having a toll tag and they look you up via your license plate, but you have a pay extra for each toll charge this way.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:01 PM
DallasDave
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Just adhere the toll tag behind the registration or inspection sticker. You can also paint the transponder black which helps to hide the sticker inside the vehicle.

Dave
Old 03-01-2014, 09:46 PM
A.J. Merrifield
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Holy cow, ANOTHER Austin 997 owner?? Awesome! We really need to start an Austin 997 Owners Club...
Old 03-03-2014, 11:04 AM
gabe2006
Advanced

FYI, I placed my tag in my DD in the upper side of the windshield in the greenish tint area. I got pulled over once on Ft Bend toll road because the cop did not see my tag. He pulled me over, bend his neck to see inside the car and once he saw the tag he let me go. So, it may lead to un-welcomed pull overs for "no reason".
Old 03-03-2014, 11:12 AM
PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StormRune
You can skip having a toll tag and they look you up via your license plate, but you have a pay extra for each toll charge this way.
I suspect they must use the front license tag, as I don't have one and have never received a toll fee in the mail.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:23 AM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

spray painted mine but will plastidip it next time.

Quick Reply: Hint on obscuring the gray toll tag...