PCM Phone Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 02:20 PM
2TT930
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PCM Phone Question

Recently picked up an 07 TT.
Option list includes Phone Module for PCM.

I wanted this as I have extra AT&T lines sitting around.
I put a SIM card in and it wouldn't connect.
Previous owner installed a MoBridge Ipod/Blutooth setup.
I hate the way it functions and I'd rather use the OEM phone and CD's.
I figured the phone wouldn't connect due to the Mobridge being installed.
So I completely uninstalled the mobridge back to factory.

I was excited to try out the phone but now it says "no phone available".
After a quick search that appears to mean the PCM does not actually have the phone module.

It was a factory ordered option with the car.

Ok, so my question is - Where is the module? Inside the PCM?
If it's outside maybe it was disconnect during the mobridge install?
Hopefully it wasn't removed completely.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 02-23-2014, 06:42 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

I tried to use the SIM card to enable ATT service in my prior 2006 and could never get it to work. The dealer even put in a new phone module under CPO to no avail. The ATT guys looked at it and while no one knew for sure, they tended to think that the car's mobile wasn't compatible with the current ATT cell phone towers. At one point one of the PCM phone-related screens reported a T-Mobile signal, so maybe it would be compatible with T-Mobile? I dunno. Eventually, both the dealer and the ATT guys were pointing fingers at each other so I gave up.

I ended up taking the Bluetooth route with a Jabra Freeway. This may not be for you since you already have the MoBridge, but for any others running into this problem I strongly recommend it as I tried several cheaper models and other makes. It has fantastic battery life (14+ hours talk time, several week standby, and the best clarity of the bunch). I know its not what you are looking for, but for me, it was the best I could do (without spending even bigger dollars for a Dension or PCM swap-out).
Old 02-23-2014, 07:56 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I had an '07 C4s w the phone module and I was able to use a SIM card from ATT (extra line) and it worked fine. It was simple and I don't remember any issues. Unfortunately I do not know where the "module" was located but I suspect in the frunk like the Nav & CD changer but I do not ever remember seeing it. A dealer should be able to point you in the right direction. Btw, I usually forwarded my cell ph to the "car phone" # instead of giving out a 2nd number. I used an old style cell ph (sim) to record a greeting first. Good luck!
Old 02-23-2014, 09:00 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

The built in phone module is a tri band and therefore an AT&T SIM card may not be supported. The t-mobile card will work. I bought a pay as you go card from t-mobile and forward my phone to the car.

The car telephone uses the frequencies 900, 1800, 1900. Where I live AT&T uses the 850 band. So the phone won't work with the AT&T SIM card.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:34 PM
Psymon
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The phone module is located underneath the driver's seat in a RHD car, and it's closer to the rear side.

Not sure about the MoBridge, but for Dension's interface, I had to disconnect the phone module, and also DE-activate the phone option at the dealer.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:34 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
...Unfortunately I do not know where the "module" was located but I suspect in the frunk like the Nav & CD changer but I do not ever remember seeing it.
If is in the recess in the floor under the passenger seat. If you move the passenger seat all of the way forward you can see a module down below the seat (which also acts as a black hole for anything getting under the seat to fall into).
Old 02-23-2014, 09:42 PM
2TT930
Instructor

Thanks for the info guys.
I'll check under the seat to see if it's still connected.
If thats not the problem then I'll hit the att store to see if they can give me a sim that will work.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:53 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

When you look, it is underneath the bracket which is about flush with the floor. In the attached parts diagram, the bracket #10 largely blocks the view of the module itself #9 which sits down in the recess.
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2014, 04:50 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ecostellodo
The built in phone module is a tri band and therefore an AT&T SIM card may not be supported. The t-mobile card will work. I bought a pay as you go card from t-mobile and forward my phone to the car.

The car telephone uses the frequencies 900, 1800, 1900. Where I live AT&T uses the 850 band. So the phone won't work with the AT&T SIM card.
That gets to the root of it. The Porsche factory supplied phone transceiver in the car for the "PCM is a Phone" option (ie put a SIM in the slot) is a GSM radio tranceiver that works on a specific set of frequencies. The key to that phone-radio working with the cell towers around the car is that the frequencies and signalling system must be the same. AT&T and T-Mobile are the GSM carriers in the USA. However, GSM allows for a range of frequencies, and as noted, AT&T may use frequencies that the radio in your car does not support - as its got the frequencies used in European GSM or RoW GSM.

That frequency stuff determines if the phone-radios in the PCM can communicate with the cell towers at all.

Separate from that is the SIM card, which is the identity of the phone in the car. That SIM card gives the phone-radio system its phone identity to the cell network. That identity will determine if the cell network can see, recognize, and allow connection with the PCM's phone-radios.

To make the phone work you need both:
1) the radios must work on the same frequencies as the cell network (they have to share a frequency space) and if that is true
2) the SIM card needs to be for a network carrier on that cell tower system.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:55 PM
mlv_250
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car was not optioned with the PCM phone module and have long to have one. Anyone want to sell me their fully functional PCM and its related parts (cable, mic,etc )? Please send me PM.
Thanks!
Matt
Old 02-26-2014, 09:42 PM
Psymon
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Taking the phone module is easy, but removing the cable and mic (in sell-able condition) will probably require a lot of work, remove seat, carpet, trims, roof liner.. etc.

The Dension option is a MUCH better and cheaper way to go, IMHO.

Originally Posted by mlv_250
My car was not optioned with the PCM phone module and have long to have one. Anyone want to sell me their fully functional PCM and its related parts (cable, mic,etc )? Please send me PM.
Thanks!
Matt
Old 02-27-2014, 10:04 PM
2TT930
Instructor

UPDATE

Got it figured out!
The fiber optic line had a loop connecter on it at the module. To bypass for the bluetooth.

Unplugged it and plugged the original connecter back in. Turned on the PCM and it recognized my SIM and works perfectly.

Here is a picture of the loop for reference to others with maybe the same problem.

Here is a picture of the location on the module under the passenger seat.

Thanks again for the help guys.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:19 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 2TT930
UPDATE
Got it figured out!
The fiber optic line had a loop connecter on it at the module. To bypass for the bluetooth.
Ok, so someone disconnected the module from the car's fiber network? What does that accomplish exactly? Why did they need to eliminate that system from the car? Was it just to drive another system to be controlled on the same PCM designation presumably?
Old 02-28-2014, 07:25 PM
mlv_250
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Psymon
Taking the phone module is easy, but removing the cable and mic (in sell-able condition) will probably require a lot of work, remove seat, carpet, trims, roof liner.. etc.
Agree with the effort to disassemble.

But if I were incline to pursue the phone module route, will the dealer need to "turn ON" the phone feature or is it plug-n-play?

Thx. Sorry for hi-jacking thread.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:09 PM
2TT930
Instructor

Originally Posted by Minok
Ok, so someone disconnected the module from the car's fiber network? What does that accomplish exactly? Why did they need to eliminate that system from the car? Was it just to drive another system to be controlled on the same PCM designation presumably?
I assume it was bypassed for the Mobridge modules install. For the same reason you would need to bypass the cd changer if installed. So the mobridge can have full control of the PCM in Tel mode or in CD mode.

If not bypassed, I'm sure the PCM would always favor the OEM phone module.

Quick Reply: PCM Phone Question