Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM 3.0 Glitches/Firmware Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 01:45 PM
Dmitri
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The gauge cluster display programming somehow got wiped out during installation and reprogramming of new PCM. It took all of 20 minutes to get everything back to working. So, for now, all is good.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:04 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts
Default PCM 3.0 unit replacement

So I dropped my car off at the Porsche dealer to get the PCM software (original version V) and navigation database updated (thanks to StormRume for all of the great background info). I get a call from the dealer that they can't get the CD/DVD player to play their disc. My car is under CPO and they have ordered a new PCM.

How evasive is the PCM hardware change out?
Old 06-05-2014, 11:25 PM
Dmitri
Instructor

Originally Posted by CAVU
So I dropped my car off at the Porsche dealer to get the PCM software (original version V) and navigation database updated (thanks to StormRume for all of the great background info). I get a call from the dealer that they can't get the CD/DVD player to play their disc. My car is under CPO and they have ordered a new PCM.

How evasive is the PCM hardware change out?
The PCM swap out is easy. Getting the PCM to play well with your other components may or may not be so easy. When I had the same problem (PCM 3.0 couldn't load the latest firmware disc) the dealer installed a new unit. But, he could not get it to work with the amplifier, so no sound out of the Bose system. They finally had to get a new amp to make it all work.

I hope your replacement installation goes smoother. Good luck!
Old 06-06-2014, 07:59 AM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dmitri
The PCM swap out is easy. Getting the PCM to play well with your other components may or may not be so easy. When I had the same problem (PCM 3.0 couldn't load the latest firmware disc) the dealer installed a new unit. But, he could not get it to work with the amplifier, so no sound out of the Bose system. They finally had to get a new amp to make it all work.
Was your amplifier working before the PCM hardware change?

Last night I tried a known good music CD and movie DVD. Both loaded and played the audio perfectly. I am tempted to ask them to check with the Porsche corporate engineering support to see what they think. It almost sounds like their navigation discs are being produced with the wrong format. I would rather not face the potential for a cascade of new problems that didn't exist.

Anyone/Everyone is welcome to comment...please
Old 06-06-2014, 04:20 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm puzzled that they call you, the customer. I'd expect that if the CD/DVD player is working fine, they should call PCNA or Stuttgart and say: hey this upgrade DVD you are distributing isn't playing in the DVD players you installed in your cars - what gives and how will Porsche address this.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:22 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

The PCM swap out is easy. Getting the PCM to play well with your other components may or may not be so easy. When I had the same problem (PCM 3.0 couldn't load the latest firmware disc) the dealer installed a new unit.
This was my experience also. I had the "V" version in my 2010 - the dealer was completely unable to upgrade it and had to install an entirely new PCM unit under warranty.

I founds this to be pretty ridiculous, but whatever.

This year I upgraded again to the latest maps and this time it went smoothly. It did take 4+ hours though, and nearly $500.

I found this to be pretty ridiculous also.

I really do like the Porsche nav though...
Old 06-06-2014, 05:48 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Minok
I'm puzzled that they call you, the customer. I'd expect that if the CD/DVD player is working fine, they should call PCNA or Stuttgart and say: hey this upgrade DVD you are distributing isn't playing in the DVD players you installed in your cars - what gives and how will Porsche address this.
Please understand that I am speculating on the disc format/readability. There may be a hardware issue lurking.

I do agree that PCNA/Stuttgart either knows what the root cause is or should be figuring it out. Mean while, a new PCM will be installed under CPO along with the most up-to-date software and nav database.

Last edited by CAVU; 06-12-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:24 PM
Minok
Drifting

Cavu, I understand.

From a consumer perspective, we purchased a car with a NAV system that can be updated with new maps. I expect that to function and if there is an underlying defect in the installation software on the DVD's or a firmware bug in the PCM that prevents the update from working thats something Porsche should fix on their dime, considering often the update of maps wont be done until after the factory warranty has expired. Such bugs almost surely date back to when the car was new.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:04 AM
nickt3
1st Gear

The gauge cluster display programming somehow got wiped out during installation and reprogramming of new PCM. It took all of 20 minutes to get everything back to working. So, for now, all is good.
Hi there, I've just had the same problem with losing access to 'audio' and 'phone' from the control stalk after updating to 2.24. Do you know if it was obvious how to correct it as would be helpful to point the technicians in the right direction to save time when I go back to get it sorted. Really appreciate any info you have, Nick
Old 10-21-2015, 01:03 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I just had the software in my PCM updated to obtain some updated map software. My '12 C2S PCM was originally ver 1. something and is now 2.24. I had very few options and I have not noticed any loss of cruise or anything else. I did however "lose" the ability to download my phonebook into the PCM. The PCM will pair with the phone and it works fine. There is, however, no history of the call once the car is shut down and restarted and even though the phonebook seems to download, the result is a file that reads "empty". To top it all off, I have changed phones and have an iphone 6 with 128 GB hardrive, so I am not sure where to begin. The loaner I drove while the work was being done was a '16 Cayenne and the new iphone paired quickly and easily with that PCM. (Nice car, by the way. It was a diesel and I was impressed.)

I haven't taken the time to try to load my old phone with some info and see if it will load into the PCM as I am not sure I really care. I am amazed at how little my service department really knows about the electronics and the software in these cars. At the same time I say that I am reminded by my IT guys that there are so many variables after the car leaves the shop (assuming that the electronics all worked in the perfect vacuum of the original programming) that it could be anything.

Oh, and the map update with which all this began is still years behind what I see on the ground. I travel an interstate that opened 4 years ago and of course it was not on my '12 when I received it. However the "new" update dated 14 I think does not include the new Interstate highway either.

Oh well, It is a Porsche!
Old 10-22-2015, 05:50 PM
Minok
Drifting

Hm, it seems clearly the case that Porsche AG needs to do a better job and ensuring the technicians working for Porsche NA Corp know how to perform software updates and don't skip steps in processes.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:06 PM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry to bring back an old thread.
Did anyone ever get the PCM 3.0 with Bluetooth connected to an iPhone 6 to work without re-booting every 2-3 min.?
If so how? Firmware version?
Old 05-12-2016, 02:15 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by John Veninger
Sorry to bring back an old thread.
Did anyone ever get the PCM 3.0 with Bluetooth connected to an iPhone 6 to work without re-booting every 2-3 min.?
If so how? Firmware version?
It works fine for me. Sorry to hear you are having problems. I have PCM software version 2.24. I posted a thread about 2.24 about 2 years ago on 6speedonline here: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...date-info.html. Some specific bug fixes for earlier versions are described in post 5. It calls out a Nokia phone for a Bluetooth fix, but it (or later updates included in 2.24 that I couldn't find a list for) may fix the problem you are having. No promises from me though!
Old 05-12-2016, 02:17 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I guess I should point out that one problem still rarely presents itself. At times the car doesn't bind with the phone on startup but I don't normally notice until a call comes in. Turning the PCM fully off and back on seems to fix it (long press on volume).
Old 05-12-2016, 06:09 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Never had any issues with mine using an iPhone 6 or 6s. I do find that once or so a year, it will reset to km, C, and lose my custom map and steering wheel button settings. Dealer has never been able to repro or find the issue. After so many years, I'm not worrying about it.

I did get the latest maps and system software added last year finally - improves the Nav in some cases - nothing mind-blowing so far as I can tell.

Quick Reply: PCM 3.0 Glitches/Firmware Upgrade