Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM 3.0 Glitches/Firmware Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 09:50 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been running my iPhone6plus with the 997.2 PCM3 for a year - which means I've not been doing it much as I've had little use of the car, but I have it today, so I'll test with a call to my home voicemail system and report back.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:27 PM
Pors968
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What's the latest firmware version for Non-Navigation PCM 3.0? I have bluetooth connectivity issue for phone calls.

Thx.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:40 AM
Kuangmao
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dmitri
My 2009's PCM recently started to randomly re-boot. It doesn't do it often enough for the dealer to replicate. In the meantime, they decided to try updating the firmware to the latest version. They first installed version 1.47, then tried to install 2.24. They said that they got some sort of disk read error message.

It didn't occur to me at the time, but I was wondering whether they tried to update the firmware by putting the disk into the PCM, rather than loading the disk into a laptop. Do all PCM 3.0 firmware updates go through a laptop, or do some earlier ones get updated by putting disks directly into the PCM?

As always, TIA for your help!
Did they solve pcmself reboot problem?
Old 07-05-2016, 07:44 PM
mander
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I now understand why my dealer discouraged me from updating the maps in my 09C4S!
Old 07-06-2016, 12:13 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mander
I now understand why my dealer discouraged me from updating the maps in my 09C4S!
Probably because they just don't know how - which is pretty sad. My dealer didn't seems sure about what software to order, I so I got it from Suncoast who totally know what they are doing - much better price too. The good news is I had no issues getting the dealer to install it.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:45 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Has anyone update from the 1.xx to the 2.xx without updating the maps? Or are the old maps not longer valid if you go to the 2.xx. There are some features I want on 2.xx but I don't want to go to it from 1.xx if the exiting maps are no longer available, and I am forced to go to newer maps.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:57 PM
vulcan300
Intermediate

I have a 2013 Boxster. Do any of the available firmware upgrades for the built in PCM enable Bluetooth Audio? I'm only able to pair my phone for calls :-(
Old 03-18-2017, 07:10 PM
leholtet
Intermediate

There is coming a new update for PCM 3.0 any moment now Should ask the st(d)ealer when it comes and wait for that!
Old 04-12-2017, 05:47 PM
s4alex
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did the PCM upgrade but not the maps. The maps will also change the firmware update. My 09 had the original firmware. Paid for the upgrade of the PCM to fix a little glitchiness, i.e. reboots.

Still glitchy. Did not do the maps as even the latest maps for the 3.0 are kinda outdated from early 2016 I think.

I am thinking about getting a new deck, like the AVH-4200NEX or similar. Has all the features, however, I will loose much of ease in PCM configuration and have to use the stalk.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:58 AM
leholtet
Intermediate

What version?

The dealer here said that there was a new version for PCM 3.0 on its way..
Old 05-13-2017, 01:31 AM
swoardrider
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I have V2.2 in my PSM3.0 Nav. Can I just buy the Nav disk here https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/997PCM30.html, load the disk in my PCM and it will update the software and maps? Or do I need to take it into the dealer to get updates on software and maps?
Old 05-13-2017, 10:54 AM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by swoardrider
I have V2.2 in my PSM3.0 Nav. Can I just buy the Nav disk here https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/997PCM30.html, load the disk in my PCM and it will update the software and maps? Or do I need to take it into the dealer to get updates on software and maps?
To answer your question, just read the info shown on the Sun Coast link that you published.

It plainly states: "Special Note: dealer installation and activation required..."
Old 05-13-2017, 05:49 PM
swoardrider
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Astur
To answer your question, just read the info shown on the Sun Coast link that you published.

It plainly states: "Special Note: dealer installation and activation required..."
I guess I should have phrased my question better.

Why does it require us to go into the dealership to update maps and software on the PCM? other cars I've owned, the software and map updates are on the disk. You just insert the disk and it updates the navigation system's software as well as gives you the latest map version. No dealer visits required.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:38 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by swoardrider
Why does it require us to go into the dealership to update maps and software on the PCM? other cars I've owned, the software and map updates are on the disk. You just insert the disk and it updates the navigation system's software as well as gives you the latest map version. No dealer visits required.
The cynic in me is convinced that this is just another unique way that Porsche forces us to use Stealership services for stuff that "lesser" car manufacturers allow us to do on our own . I have updated nav systems on previous BMWs, Audis and Volvos at home in my garage, but apparently Porsche feels the need to pull us back into their service bays for stuff like this.

I did the map update on my 2010 C4S Cab last July, which both updated my firmware as well as uploaded the latest maps. This does indeed require activation from the Stealership, which cost me $189 for just the installation cost (I bought the Nav update package from Suncoast for $265). That package has the discs as well as a unique activation code that they use to download the actual maps themselves from Porsche's database. From what I understand, the discs don't have the underlying maps themselves, but other pieces of the overall update. When I did this in July 2016, my firmware version was updated to 2.47 after the install (I think it was something like 2.41 previously). Here's the RL thread where there was a healthy dialogue about this: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...confusion.html

FWIW, the overall GUI isn't radically different, but it's definteily a visual improvement and my Nav system now shows the roads as they ACTUALLY exist here as this replaces the factory-installed maps from 2010..... and the POI's are vastly improved as well. All in, I was happy to get it done, particulalry because when my parents come to town I always give my Dad my car to toddle around town, and I can be assured that he won't get lost
Old 06-07-2017, 12:24 PM
sup44
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

09 Cayenne S w PCM 3.0 and firmware v1.47. Experiencing the freezing and reboot for about 6 months now..... if I stop it from searching for my iphone, it does not happen.. I just bought the latest Firmware update disc (includes maps) from http://www.localpartsshop.com/oem-pa...cm-95504491141 for $262.. Hoping it does the trick.. thanks for starting this thread.. helps troubleshoot...

I wish there was some sort of Share program you guys did.. one guy buys it.. and shares it for $75 a pop or something ... collects $250 refundable deposit via paypal.. paypal protects up to $2K.... thats an idea huh???..

Quick Reply: PCM 3.0 Glitches/Firmware Upgrade