Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

higher mileage certified vs low mileage non certified

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 02:04 PM
caitov
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

^ I agree. I'd factor the warranty heavily in my decision making.

I recently purchased a 2010 C2S with only 11k miles. It looks and feels like new - however I just found out it needs a new PDK transmission due to a small leak that cannot be repaired.

I truly believe this is a rare occurrence, but it's nice to know that when something does happen it's covered under warranty.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:42 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinjax
One more question: Does anybody have a problem with the fact that the private one with low miles is priced $7000 over what edmunds says it should sell for?
In my shopping for the two different Porsche's I've bought I found that Edmunds pricing is unrealistically low by many thousands. I've never found a good car at anywhere near their pricing.

I don't think they account for the effect of the options very well and that is a substantial part of Porsche pricing. This seemed to be validated by my trade-in of my 2006 C4, the dealer offered me 6k more than Edmunds had it priced at (and I'm certain he didn't gouge me for my fairly loaded 2009 C2S to make up the 6k).

Make sure you carefully take into account the options. The Nav and Bluetooth systems aren't cheap and other things such as PDK, full leather, sport exhaust have a big impact too. Also consider the impact to your ability to resale; a lot of people will want those options. Be careful about passing up Bluetooth, it is almost a necessity these days and people who get Porsches without it spend a lot of time and money trying to get a workable retrofit.

I look across the broader market to get a better feel for pricing when I shop. I've actually found the national Porsche website CPO listing handy for looking at a large number of cars. In the year range you are looking I agree with another post that says you can typically get 4 to 6k off asking price at that price level.

In the case you are stating, I think the private party car looks close to being fairly priced without knowing all of its options. Remember you can always wait for a CPO that is more aligned to your wants. Many of us spend months looking and waiting. The final reward of getting what you really want is well worth it IMHO.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:50 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

Correcting my last posting after I see that it is not an S: $58k for the PP car is on the high side. I got a fairly loaded 2009 PDK S with CPO for 61k just two months ago, and that included full 30k mile service, new spark plugs, new Nav maps, and new tires. It had 28.6k miles.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:49 AM
php
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

It's a hard one.....but I personally lean just a bit towards the CPO.

There's a $5k price difference, the cheaper one being also the one with CPO warranty ($3k+ in value), so making the real price difference around $8k...it really depends what you value more in the car (warranty or low mileage).

If anything goes wrong (minor or major), you don't have to pay to fix it with CPO. Porsche repairs are potentially expensive. Another consideration will be if the car is PDK or manual. If PDK, I would definitely get the CPO one.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:47 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the private sale's owner is looking at dealer pricing with cpo, and then charging a premium for the low miles. If you could get the private sale car for around or slightly less than the cpo dealer car I think that is the way to go (outside warranty can be purchased). That being said I do enjoy the peace of mind of a CPO. I am not sure how much longer the CPO warranty would last( I think they are 6 years from in service date, so probably 2 years left).
Old 02-10-2014, 07:46 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I vote for the PP with less miles, especially if you dont plan to keep the car forever.

Lets say you keep it for 50,000 mi, one with 57,000 mi with be worth more than $5k more than one with 98,000 mi. Just a thought.

I suggest trying to get $2-3k off the PP car and use that to get an extended warranty.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:21 AM
Vape NYC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Caitov - how did you realize there was a problem with the PDK? This really scares me. I recently bought a 2010 Targa 4S PDK with 11K miles and a few more months left on the factory warranty.
Not that this is the right thread for the topic but I have read so many mixed things about after market warrantees I wasn't planning on getting one.

Regarding the OP's question, it seems like lower milage is always better at resale time, not only in terms of price but of ease of selling.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:43 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
the CPO car for $47k
+1... mileage is fine. I have 63K miles on my '08 C2S and the oil analysis from Blackstone gave my engine a clean bill of health everytime. As an FYI, CPO adds ~$3K warranty value and requires that it passed a 120 point inspection and more importantly has a certain level of minimum life on various ware items - brakes, tires, plugs, etc. Also requires that no more than two panels where repaired. BTW, still not a guaranty that the car is in good condition... only a proper independent PPI will help to determine the true state of a car. But a car with no warranty/CPO is a higher risk as you're truly on the hook for any and all warranty service and/or unforeseen damage that was done by the previous owner. If this is your 1st Porsche then go CPO for the peace of mind. Plus if you need to resell the car immediately for whatever reason... it's much easier to move a car under warranty. The lower mileage car sounds appealing but FWIW the Porsche Manual recommends putting a minimum of 6K per year on our cars to keep them running well. Either way get a PPI! We've seen too many horror stories on the forum where fellow enthusiast fell under the false assumption that low mileage or CPO = a good example/deal. GL and post some pics of what you end up purchasing.

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 02-11-2014 at 02:06 PM.

Quick Reply: higher mileage certified vs low mileage non certified