Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info, appreciated.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:45 PM
Redline911
Racer

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Definitely something to look out for... In my case, I'm fortunate in that the car behaves very differently when it has a stock tune vs. the FVD tune.
Have you ever dyno'd your car? Would love to see independent results of power gains with bolt on mods.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:56 PM
hot nikon
Racer

I just wrote a 3 paragraph post, timed out.

A C2/C2s is always going to be a 400+/- h.p. car. Sure some vendors can give you 20-30 h.p. big woof. You will hardly notice it.

Now, drive a 500-600 h.p. TT. Two VERY different beasts.

I made the mistake of driving a couple of TTs. One was a 997/1 TT, highly modded, 600+h.p., and a 997/2TT around 580 h.p. with just a flash.

Getting back into my C2S was cold coffee.

Quite a few nights watching the ceiling fan go around, wondering should I sell my car for a TT.

I'd loose my license in 2 weeks.

It's a depreciating asset.

A TT is all I can think about. Do not drive a TT, I told you.

Good Luck.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:29 PM
Carrera997re
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol^^ hahaha im dien its so trueee word for word
Old 02-07-2014, 12:22 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Redline911
Have you ever dyno'd your car? Would love to see independent results of power gains with bolt on mods.
Yes but dyno results can open up a very controversial topic... ie, to get a proper comparisons we need to get a baseline dyno of the stock car, suspend time and environmental changes, then add all the mods and make another run to make a proper comparison. But then again I'm not a race team with a dedicated dyno system so I just wanted to figure out if performance is moving in the right direction. FWIW I consider my dyno runs less than stellar but hopefully others will gain from my experience.

I used a local dyno shop, Colvin Automotive, where I did all of my prior M3 runs here in Austin, TX. So I felt that I had a good baseline by which to compare with against all my prior M3 runs. Colvin has a RWD Dynojet system which worked fine on the old/low tech supercharged '98 M3 but it doesn't work well on our our technology driven 997's. Apparently RWD dyno systems cause our cars to enter limp mode and throw CEL's. Here's a technical explanation of what was happening... http://www.fvd.us/us/en/Porsche-0/-/..._vehicles.html

It seems that we need to use an AWD dyno to get proper runs. Still my car in limp mode produced 320 RWHP on a hot day. The temp climb to 80+ deg by the time we hooked her up to the dynojet that morning... weather man lied again! I consider it a move in the right performance direction but I'm still looking for a local shop with an AWD dyno for a run in cooler weather. Frankly dyno runs are academic and nice to have but it's really about how the car feels to the driver.

Name:  2nd Dyno Run.jpg
Views: 1617
Size:  140.4 KB

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 02-07-2014 at 12:51 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:58 AM
Redline911
Racer

Cool

The temp climb to 80+ deg by the time we hooked her up to the dynojet that morning...
It's always a hot day in Austin, no?

Seems like you'd want to dyno at 80+ degrees if that's the average daily high 8 months out of the year.

Too bad about limp mode, does make this data questionable. What were you hoping to see, 340-345 RWP? Does your car feel as strong as a .1 X51 car?
Old 02-07-2014, 03:25 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Yes but dyno results can open up a very controversial topic... ie, to get a proper comparisons we need to get a baseline dyno of the stock car, suspend time and environmental changes, then add all the mods and make another run to make a proper comparison. But then again I'm not a race team with a dedicated dyno system so I just wanted to figure out if performance is moving in the right direction. FWIW I consider my dyno runs less than stellar but hopefully others will gain from my experience.

I used a local dyno shop, Colvin Automotive, where I did all of my prior M3 runs here in Austin, TX. So I felt that I had a good baseline by which to compare with against all my prior M3 runs. Colvin has a RWD Dynojet system which worked fine on the old/low tech supercharged '98 M3 but it doesn't work well on our our technology driven 997's. Apparently RWD dyno systems cause our cars to enter limp mode and throw CEL's. Here's a technical explanation of what was happening... http://www.fvd.us/us/en/Porsche-0/-/..._vehicles.html

It seems that we need to use an AWD dyno to get proper runs. Still my car in limp mode produced 320 RWHP on a hot day. The temp climb to 80+ deg by the time we hooked her up to the dynojet that morning... weather man lied again! I consider it a move in the right performance direction but I'm still looking for a local shop with an AWD dyno for a run in cooler weather. Frankly dyno runs are academic and nice to have but it's really about how the car feels to the driver.

Attachment 803886
Interesting... what was the base line?
Old 02-07-2014, 10:45 AM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That graph looks accurate for a modified 997.1 S- not a limp mode graph. Air/Fuel curve doesn't look good though.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:02 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by hot nikon
I'd loose my license in 2 weeks.
But two damn good weeks!
Old 02-07-2014, 11:45 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris@Fabspeed
That graph looks accurate for a modified 997.1 S- not a limp mode graph. Air/Fuel curve doesn't look good though.
Thanks for the insight. Maybe we did hit or approached peak perf before limp mode kicked in? Although it showed 319-320 RWP on all 3 runs. I had to clear the CEL's afterwards with my Durametric so it didn't seem to like being on a RWD dyno.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:32 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris@Fabspeed
Actually I will have to disagree with this statement. It is well known that the 997.1S WITHOUT X51 package can have significant HP & torque gains from just changing the headers alone. No tune, stock intake, stock cats - headers alone will increase power a significant amount. See below dyno chart of the Fabspeed Sport headers on a bone stock 997.1 C2S.

My advice:

Headers are a must.

Mufflers are not a must for power but are for sound.

200 Cell Sport Cat X Pipe will increase power even further and give a great sound, even with stock mufflers.

On the intake side, there are gains, but be careful which one you choose as not all perform. Fabspeed Cold Air kit is a great addition as is our new Y-Pipe Competition Intake.
I have a question on headers without new tune? Wouldn't it actually REDUCE lower range Torque while adding it at top-end (due to loss of back pressure)? This seems to be the understanding overall... and belief that only headers+intake and a new ECU tune could generate some benefit.

997 engine HP is fine, but it could use some more Torque in 3-5K RPM to get out of corners faster and whatever could raise that would be beneficial even if the overall HP doesn't increase.

PS. BTW, WHAT causes that Torque DIP in the 4.5-5.5K RPM range? Anyway to smooth that out? I DO FEEL that driving.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:58 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
I have a question on headers without new tune? Wouldn't it actually REDUCE lower range Torque while adding it at top-end (due to loss of back pressure)? This seems to be the understanding overall... and belief that only headers+intake and a new ECU tune could generate some benefit.

997 engine HP is fine, but it could use some more Torque in 3-5K RPM to get out of corners faster and whatever could raise that would be beneficial even if the overall HP doesn't increase.

PS. BTW, WHAT causes that Torque DIP in the 4.5-5.5K RPM range? Anyway to smooth that out? I DO FEEL that driving.
On the stock 997.1S, the headers are such crap (on purpose from Porsche to separate the S from the GT3) that they are a restriction. So are the catalytic converters (much less so), and so are the stock mufflers (much less so as well).

You can make great power with stock catalytic converters, if you optimize what is going on before and after them (headers & mufflers). You can also make great power if you bolt on 200 Cell sport cats with aftermarket headers and stock mufflers. It's all a balancing act with a street car, as you don't want to reduce backpressure to zero, otherwise you have bad low rpm cylinder filling and thus bad low end torque, where a street car needs it.

On stock 997.1 S headers the runner lengths are short, which helps the resonance tuning in high rpms - this is partially what causes the torque dip at the low 3500-4000. When you install our headers with longer runners, that torque dip goes away. The 2nd dip at 5000 is still present, but with our headers, you are making an extra 20+ ft. lbs of torque to the wheels, with stock cats & mufflers. The torque dip around 5000 is mainly a combination of exhaust/intake/and cam timing. X51 cars I have dyno'ed do not have a torque dip there, but they are making less torque below that rpm.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:28 AM
Jutskin
Track Day

New here.......had my 2011 GTS Carerra for about a year and found it lacking power. Daily driver year round.
My last car was a 900hp rw C6...that explains power shortage perception.....
Ordered a TPC Turbo yesterday and will start a thread next month when I get it back and elaborate on the the results.
$7000 for headers and minor adjustments to make 30HP (yikes) or 13000 to get a turbo to make 150hp and more importantly 150 fpt......no brainer. Stock turbo porshes cost difference is much higher. Will take off the turbo off too when I sell my Porsche and resell.
Googled extentsively and TPC has done a remarkable job with refinement and available tunes with the kit.. Do not hammer the car all the time and they won't break...I pray....and to heck with the warranty.....I'm on the back 9 anyway.
Looking forward to spanking some vette buddies...but not all.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:02 AM
targaC4S
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jutskin
New here.......had my 2011 GTS Carerra for about a year and found it lacking power. Daily driver year round.
My last car was a 900hp rw C6...that explains power shortage perception.....
Ordered a TPC Turbo yesterday and will start a thread next month when I get it back and elaborate on the the results.
$7000 for headers and minor adjustments to make 30HP (yikes) or 13000 to get a turbo to make 150hp and more importantly 150 fpt......no brainer. Stock turbo porshes cost difference is much higher. Will take off the turbo off too when I sell my Porsche and resell.
Googled extentsively and TPC has done a remarkable job with refinement and available tunes with the kit.. Do not hammer the car all the time and they won't break...I pray....and to heck with the warranty.....I'm on the back 9 anyway.
Looking forward to spanking some vette buddies...but not all.
You said this is your daily driver. Remember to stay out of boost for the last 5 minutes of driving before shutoff.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:28 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

350-450-550 hp is all the same sitting in traffic.

Quick Reply: 997 C2S how to add more horsepower?