Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Let's revisit the WD-40 on leather thread
Old 02-17-2014, 12:20 PM
A.J. Merrifield
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Another +1 for Leatherique for all leather surfaces. I've used it on my old Ferraris, Jaguar, Mercedes (it made my old '67 250SL's seats actually supple for the first time since, well, EVER), and my M3, and now use it on my 997. AMAZING stuff.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:48 PM
Banilej0
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

My car is an 07 with full leather, I think I read the dash leather was treated and only needs to be wiped clean. Is this true? If so I do not want to put something that will actually harm the treated leather. Can I use Leatherique on the dash anyway? Also, does Leatherique give the leather a matt or glossy look?
Old 02-18-2014, 08:04 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

:When did we stop using WD-40??
Old 02-18-2014, 09:16 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem
:When did we stop using WD-40??
We didn't. You should try it on the tires instead of armor all. I find it works best on the headliner.

NOTE: This post is intended to be sarcastic. The author of this post bears no responsibility or liability for any damages that anyone incurs as a result of the use of WD-40 in a manner other than directed and as indicated on the label of any such WD-40 product. This disclaimer is intended for anyone that actually uses or considers using WD-40 on any portion of the interior of any car.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:39 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Banilej0
My car is an 07 with full leather, I think I read the dash leather was treated and only needs to be wiped clean. Is this true? If so I do not want to put something that will actually harm the treated leather. Can I use Leatherique on the dash anyway? Also, does Leatherique give the leather a matt or glossy look?
Where did you hear that the dash leather is specially treated? I'm really curious about this.

I've always heard that dash and door leather needs more conditioning due to the higher sun exposure. Looking at older cars (Especially Porsches) you see many full leather cars that have dried, shrunken leather that no longer fits correctly.

I have full leather on my Spyder and I am conditioning it with Leatherique. I usually apply once every three months or whenever the leather appears dry. Appearance is matte but the leather will be slightly darker.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:42 PM
PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, does Leatherique give the leather a matt or glossy look?
Matt, as does Leather Masters.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:43 PM
PhilD
Pro

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Where did you hear that the dash leather is specially treated? I'm really curious about this.
I suspect it is that is coated, just like the seat leather. In the sun it will definitely suffer from drying out more.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:51 PM
Banilej0
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't find the exact post I read about the dash, I was hoping to get confirmation if someone knew already. It makes sense it has some extra protection but not sure about it needing basically no conditioning.

Good to know Leatherique leaves a matt finish, I think I will go ahead and get some and use it on the dash as well just to be safe.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:01 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I've heard that pretty much all modern cars with leather have a coating to protect it from UV and fluid spills. I was reading this on a site that sells leather treament products (can't rememeber at the moment).

It was mentioned that one way to test your leather was to put a few drops of water on the surface (that you have not just treated with something). If it soaks in, you have un-coated leather. If it beads up, you have cooated leather and you don't want to put tradtional leather care products on it.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:12 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.leathermasteruk.com/index_leather_types.htm
Old 02-19-2014, 09:56 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS
I've heard that pretty much all modern cars with leather have a coating to protect it from UV and fluid spills. I was reading this on a site that sells leather treament products (can't rememeber at the moment).

It was mentioned that one way to test your leather was to put a few drops of water on the surface (that you have not just treated with something). If it soaks in, you have un-coated leather. If it beads up, you have cooated leather and you don't want to put tradtional leather care products on it.
Correct

But traditional leather conditioners are really old school leather conditioners these days. Majority of the leather conditioner manufacturers are making products for modern leather. Saddle soap is an example of a "traditional" leather conditioner.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:05 PM
PhilD
Pro

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Correct

But traditional leather conditioners are really old school leather conditioners these days. Majority of the leather conditioner manufacturers are making products for modern leather. Saddle soap is an example of a "traditional" leather conditioner.
X2 I wouldn't put saddle soap anywhere near my seats. Water based conditioners will absorb through coated/painted leather, especially as it becomes worn, which is when it starts to need conditioning more. New seats need nothing more than a wipe down with a damp cloth, the older the seats get the more conditioning they need.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:33 PM
A.J. Merrifield
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can tell you right now that the dash can take leather conditioner just fine. How do I know? Because the dealership conditioned the leather the other day when I took it in for service, AND I've also treated it with Leatherique.

PhilD, I've got to respectfully disagree about only using water on new seats, I think even new seats should be treated and conditioned with a good cleaner and conditioner if you intend to keep them looking/feeling new (or better than new).
Old 02-20-2014, 02:00 PM
PhilD
Pro

Originally Posted by A.J. Merrifield
PhilD, I've got to respectfully disagree about only using water on new seats, I think even new seats should be treated and conditioned with a good cleaner and conditioner if you intend to keep them looking/feeling new (or better than new).
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but for the first year or so I've always found the painted/coated layer is in such good condition that not as much gets through it. Not to say it isn't worth doing, just I've never noticed much difference with new vehicles. After a couple of years the impact of using a conditioner seems to be much more noticeable and clearly is doing more good.

Of course it could be argued that starting early will help in the long run as every little bit of conditioner that gets into the leather is going to help, and like I said I don't disagree. However, I've found that it doesn't really seem to do much. I tend to wait for a nice sunny hot day 18-24 mths down the road and use Leatherique.

I think it is safe to say, whether you use a quality product from day 1 or leave it a couple of years, it is definitely going to help with the leather in the long run.

Quick Reply: Leather Seat Care