Sponsored by:

First Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 01:15 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaws1
No, saved $350. The service writer quoted me $450, but "that includes all taxes and inspection." He said it with a straight face.
wth! My service records from the p-stealer ships is about 250+taxes here
Old 01-28-2014, 11:03 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaws1
No, saved $350. The service writer quoted me $450, but "that includes all taxes and inspection." He said it with a straight face.
move!
Old 01-28-2014, 11:16 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

The money I'm saving will be paying for the lift which will make the oil changes even easier.

Last edited by wc11; 01-28-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:20 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice work Lou. I like you thinking wc11.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:39 PM
tomc66
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

M1 at WalMart is $25 for 5 quarts. This is $45 for the oil change and filters cost $14 from Pelican. Total cost=$59.
Old 09-01-2023, 06:19 PM
MPawelek
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 90 Posts

Changed the oil and filter on my 2015 Targa 4s this morning. Had all the tools, funnel, cardboard and ramps ready and the whole process took 20 minutes. Now that I have unclipped the fans for the first time and figured out how they clip back I should have the next session down to 15 minutes…..😊. Only used the ramps to raise the rear end about 4”.

Last edited by MPawelek; 09-01-2023 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-03-2023, 03:50 PM
da Vinci Dan
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I worked as a mechanic for a while. There is something to be said for an oil change at a good indie.

The oil change for us included: top off all fluids, including windshield wiper, inspect, adjust pressure and rotate tires if needed, check all belts and hoses for leaks/cracks, and do a quick visual of the suspension and drivetrain. As an honest bunch it was amazing how much we found. Older cars, not driven much, owners who don't care, just get in and drive for 12K miles... Things pop up.

I would say if you have a good indie, don't keep up on the car and just drive it, I would pay a reasonable amount to have honest eyes look a car over once a year.
Old 09-03-2023, 04:10 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by da Vinci Dan
I worked as a mechanic for a while. There is something to be said for an oil change at a good indie.

The oil change for us included: top off all fluids, including windshield wiper, inspect, adjust pressure and rotate tires if needed, check all belts and hoses for leaks/cracks, and do a quick visual of the suspension and drivetrain. As an honest bunch it was amazing how much we found. Older cars, not driven much, owners who don't care, just get in and drive for 12K miles... Things pop up.

I would say if you have a good indie, don't keep up on the car and just drive it, I would pay a reasonable amount to have honest eyes look a car over once a year.
If you look at the checklist that goes with an oil change, including the covers that would need to be removed, the dealers are losing money on every oil change. Do we believe all of those inspections are being done? One that gets to me is a recalibration of the oil level system. I still don't understand that.
Old 09-03-2023, 05:33 PM
dmrose76
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by da Vinci Dan

So far I’ve done all of the work on the 911 myself (except for an out-of-town emergency water pump replacement). The deal I made with myself to justify having an expensive, not very practical car. The Indie I’ve been using for 22 years would only charge me half an hour of labor ($40) and $5 for shop supplies, plus parts for an oil change. He wouldn’t shop as hard for best price on parts as I do - he would use a his vendor that could deliver same day or next AM. Benefit I get when I have the Indie do work is that its up on a rack and my Indie will check everything out. Countless times over the years he has replaced a missing screw or fastener, zip-tied something up out of the way, or let me know of an upcoming likely repair I should start planning for. He is a “MacGyver” at heart and has saved me tons of $$s over the years. Out of loyalty I will give him work.
The following users liked this post:
anewman (09-08-2023)

Quick Reply: First Oil Change