Sponsored by:

To Tender or Not to Tender?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 04:45 PM
Schpee007
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Tender or Not to Tender?

Would love some opinions from the community. I live in the Denver area. Winters here can range from blizzard to 60s and sunny (like today). My C2S has just summers shoes on, and depending on how much snow comes with a storm it can be a week or so before roads (including side streets) are largely clear and dry again. My question is this. If my car may sit for a week or so when snow comes and then get out for a few days in a row, say for 20 miles a day, before weather puts her in the garage is that enough for the battery? Or should I put it on a tender when the snow rolls in?

Look forward to the wisdom of the community.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:11 PM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Over time if you only take your car out for short spurts, the battery will continue to drain slowly. Will you make it until the end of winter? Maybe. I would not risk it though. Once a battery goes completely dead, it's never the same.

I bought the cigarette lighter battery tender from Suncoast and I plug it in even if I wont be driving the car for 5-6 days. It's just too easy! I say go for it

Here it is: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...Code=997s_care
Old 01-25-2014, 05:16 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Schpee007
Would love some opinions from the community. I live in the Denver area. Winters here can range from blizzard to 60s and sunny (like today). My C2S has just summers shoes on, and depending on how much snow comes with a storm it can be a week or so before roads (including side streets) are largely clear and dry again. My question is this. If my car may sit for a week or so when snow comes and then get out for a few days in a row, say for 20 miles a day, before weather puts her in the garage is that enough for the battery? Or should I put it on a tender when the snow rolls in?

Look forward to the wisdom of the community.
I regularly connect mine to a battery tender if it's going to be sitting in the garage for a number of days. I just keep it plugged in during the winter months. I don't drive it around here during the winter even if it warms up for a day or two because of all the salt covered roads. Just my preference, but I don't like having salt spray in underneath areas that I can't clean on a regular basis.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:00 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no negative in tendering so go for it. I do the same, if the cars gonna sit for a few days I will tender it.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:55 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

i feel the exact same way.

Originally Posted by beden1
I regularly connect mine to a battery tender if it's going to be sitting in the garage for a number of days. I just keep it plugged in during the winter months. I don't drive it around here during the winter even if it warms up for a day or two because of all the salt covered roads. Just my preference, but I don't like having salt spray in underneath areas that I can't clean on a regular basis.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:01 PM
kato1453
Advanced

+1 Battery tender!!
Old 01-25-2014, 09:09 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I tender it, about once every 2 weeks I fully charge it, I do not keep it on constantly. I also use the Cigarette Lighter with the CTEK.

Mine is on the car right now, after it is fully charged I will move it to my Shelby, then repeat 2 weeks or so later.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:38 PM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I Tender my cars and motorcycles, even though winter is not an issue for me. Today for instance, working on the interior and using the dome light, I hooked it up and the Tender said it was in charge mode for several hours after I was done working. Without the Tender, my garage escapades would have been a drain on the battery.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:06 PM
Schpee007
Pro

Thanks for all the great advice. Sounds like a tender is a good tool to have in the Porsche tool kit.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:58 PM
WindyCityC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If it is below 45 degrees, snow or no snow, you should not go out on summer tires.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:12 PM
Schpee007
Pro

Originally Posted by WindyCityC2S
If it is below 45 degrees, snow or no snow, you should not go out on summer tires.
Even on dry roads and relaxed driving? Thought they are ok if you don't go crazy and try to find the cornering limits of your car? :-)
Old 01-26-2014, 12:54 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

I'm always plugged in no matter what
Old 01-26-2014, 09:55 AM
WindyCityC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Even on dry roads and relaxed driving? Thought they are ok if you don't go crazy and try to find the cornering limits of your car? :-)
The risk comes from the unexpected. You aren't the only one out there. Your braking distances are way up. Someone pulls out in front of you....In the summer you can stop plenty short. Below 45F..on winter tires, you are fine. But on rock hard summer tires...it could be bad. Your ability to change directions is compromised also. Any unexpected water on the road makes things worse.

I am not going to claim "holier than thou" status. I have driven summer tires in less than 45F. To me, the difference is scary enough to avidly avoid doing it. You never know when something may surprise you or you end up caught in light rain, or worse snow. Plus on winter tires, maybe those "occasional" drives can be more enjoyable and therefore more frequent.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:14 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

drive it responsibly and you will be fine in any weather.........its a cari have never had mine on a charger.i am to busy driving it for the battery to die of boredom
Old 01-26-2014, 02:05 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

I use the Battery Tender Plus by Deltran. I have used it on my Ducati, Mastercraft Ski Boat, two Jet Ski's, and all of my cars. Using a Tender will increase the life of your battery. My Boat battery lasted 9 years, battery in my 2004 VW Touareq lasted 9 years, battery in my 2000 Ducati 996 lasted 6 years and I still have the original battery in my 2005 Mini Cooper "S".

The thing I like about the Battery Tender Plus by Deltran is that if you do have a power shortage it will reset itself unlike the Ctek units.

Quick Reply: To Tender or Not to Tender?