Sponsored by:

To Tender or Not to Tender?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 02:16 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by beden1
I regularly connect mine to a battery tender if it's going to be sitting in the garage for a number of days. I just keep it plugged in during the winter months. I don't drive it around here during the winter even if it warms up for a day or two because of all the salt covered roads. Just my preference, but I don't like having salt spray in underneath areas that I can't clean on a regular basis.
That's what I do.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:29 PM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

This is my third winter in a 997.2 and the first winter in which I have used a battery maintainer. It is easy and I just plug it into the cigaret lighter. However, the primary reason for it's use this winter is the abnormally high level of road salt, as well as temperatures way below 45 degrees for prolonged periods.

In previous winters I drove much more. But the cold spells were brief, and I didn't need my Porsche "fix" too often. I understand the risk of driving summer tires in the cold. I observed on my Audi TPMS, which displays both tire pressure AND temperature, that the tire temp quickly increases ten degrees or so, and of course the pressure also increases.

I am fortunate to have a safe drive thru a park which warms the tires--you can clearly feel the difference as they warm--and when PSI is up 2 or 3 degrees they perform well enough.

I have, I think, a better plan for next winter. My 1985 911 will need new tires by then, and I'm probably going to go with the Michelin AS3
all season tires for it so that I have a better temperature range as well as a claimed performance level similar to summer tires. I'm not talking about driving in snow--just satisfying my Porsche craving in colder weather. Then the 997 will need the battery tender a bit more--unless, of course, we can get back to some global warming.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:05 PM
jeffrec
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just purchased a Deltran battery tender plus a couple of weeks ago for around $50 on Amazon. Bought the 25' adapter extension cord and the cigarette lighter plug with it. Even though in Atlanta you can drive throughout the winter months my P car is not my DD and does sit for days and depending upon the weather weeks at a time. I had a battery fail last summer and while Porsche replaced it under my CPO warranty the service manager made it clear that if you are not clocking at least 500 miles per month you need to keep it on a trickle charger. I am glad I got mine.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:12 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Get a battery tender and park the summer sled.
As above, July August tires stop working in cool and cold weather. I'm sure you're "careful" when you are out in the cold. But that is why they call them "accidents" and not "on purposes". My car would be 4 feet shorter from when a Deer jump out of the ditch on a dark +3c/36f night. Snow tires slowed my progress enough to stop the 5oolb beast from going through my windshield.
For fun, leave your car outside. Try and dig your finger nail into the tread. Those tires will have the same grip as your Stan Smith's.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:02 PM
Schpee007
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP here...thanks for all the great advice! Going to follow the collective wisdom and get myself a battery tender. Any opinions on the CTEK Multi US 3300 12-Volt smart battery charger? Thinking about this one or the Deltran Plus referenced in this thread.

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2014, 03:33 PM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

My tender is the Porsche branded model, which I think is simply a more expensive version of the CTEK, and it is great. It plugs into the cigarette lighter and I run the cord out the bottom of the door. The door is then closed with no difficulty.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:42 PM
dc7
Intermediate

I drive my c4s all winter long. clear, blizzard, whatever. even with the ps2's. I know it's not advised, but I've yet to have a problem. I thought that's what the 4 was for.

edit: I see you are in a 2s.. i'm sure that changes things slightly.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:00 PM
Rob Heath
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mk85911
My tender is the Porsche branded model, which I think is simply a more expensive version of the CTEK, and it is great. It plugs into the cigarette lighter and I run the cord out the bottom of the door. The door is then closed with no difficulty.
I was wondering about the extension cord / what to do with the wire... so you just shut the door on the thinner cord from the tender and then plug that into an extension cord.

Have been looking at the one on the Sun Coast site.

Thanks
Old 01-28-2014, 11:09 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Heath
I was wondering about the extension cord / what to do with the wire... so you just shut the door on the thinner cord from the tender and then plug that into an extension cord.

Have been looking at the one on the Sun Coast site.

Thanks
That'll do it Rob, plug it into the passenger foot well outlet. The cables thin and the door closes without pinching. Plug directly into the wall or use an extension cord. C teK charger is what Sun Coast sells....possibly with a different name on the charger ?
Old 01-29-2014, 12:32 AM
Rob Heath
Racer

Mumbles - thanks.

The Sun Coast says "Porsche" charger not C tek http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...2s_electronics

Google search on C tek found several including this model 3300. Cheaper than Sun Coast. http://www.techbatterysolutions.com/...c7827_a_7cC003

Is this the C tek model you are using ?

Getting a new Interstate battery on Friday so think I might as well as get a battery tender...

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2014, 08:44 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I use this 3300 model charger for tendering my battery when its outta the car. When I purchased my car I bought a Porsche factory trickle charger. Just plugs in the wall outlet and has a 20' long thin cable with a cigarette adaptor on the end. That's it, no read out, just a slow charge, it cost about $ 45.00

I wouldn't over think it Rob. Porsche batteries are no different than any other car battery..... any charger would do, but eh cigarette adaptor is easy. C tek charger comes with clamps, so you'll have to buy the cigarette adaptor as an extra. Easy disconnect / changeover and you can set the charge rate.

Good luck,

Neil
Old 01-29-2014, 09:59 AM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Check owner's manual as to where to plug in. On my 2011 997.2 it specifies plugging into the cigarette lighter in the center counsel rather than the footwell plug. Plug this in first, then run thin wire under door, then plug into wall outlet last. The poor instructions will have you push a button on the tender to advance the mode of charge from motorcycle to car, and then one of two modes will illuminate: one designates "charging", the other "maintenance". You will probably begin in charging mode and eventually the tender will sense full charge and the maintenance mode will illuminate, and the tender can then remain attached indefinitely if you wish.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:44 AM
Schpee007
Pro

Originally Posted by Schpee007
OP here...thanks for all the great advice! Going to follow the collective wisdom and get myself a battery tender. Any opinions on the CTEK Multi US 3300 12-Volt smart battery charger? Thinking about this one or the Deltran Plus referenced in this thread. Thanks!
Snow tonight and tomorrow. May not see much above 30 for next week. Thankfully the CTEK arrived today. Hooked up and Baby is sleeping nicely now. She'll be good to go when next the weather warms. Thanks to the community again for all the advice and shared experiences.

Last edited by Schpee007; 01-31-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:21 AM
socalgt3
Instructor

Good to hear...I have 2 of these cteks and they have worked well.

Quick Reply: To Tender or Not to Tender?