Sponsored by:

The car talks to you...only if you listen

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 07:59 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The car talks to you...only if you listen

Buddy of mine drives a 2007 Audi TT Coupe, that puppy has some power and love the head to headrest snap when you put the peddle to the metal.

He comes to pick me up and I can hear him coming from down the road and not in a nice way. I ask him what's going on with his car and he has no idea what I'm talking about. Ask him to turn the radio off, roll down the window and listen. Utter shock, he has no idea the car was unhappy. Look under the hood and there's a rattle & whine. Turns out the secondary fan that kicks when the AC system is on is about to commit harakiri.

It's a good thing I stand outside my car after starting it while the idling settles just to listen and see what she might have to say. It's a beautiful feeling listening to that engine but at the same time a great habit to observe your vehicle for possible upcoming issues.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:21 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

And yet some complain about the stereo.
The music's in the back!
Old 01-16-2014, 11:38 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
And yet some complain about the stereo.
The music's in the back!
+1
Old 01-17-2014, 12:00 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 570 Likes on 339 Posts

remind me to let you drive my car when it gets warm

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
Buddy of mine drives a 2007 Audi TT Coupe, that puppy has some power and love the head to headrest snap when you put the peddle to the metal.

He comes to pick me up and I can hear him coming from down the road and not in a nice way. I ask him what's going on with his car and he has no idea what I'm talking about. Ask him to turn the radio off, roll down the window and listen. Utter shock, he has no idea the car was unhappy. Look under the hood and there's a rattle & whine. Turns out the secondary fan that kicks when the AC system is on is about to commit harakiri.

It's a good thing I stand outside my car after starting it while the idling settles just to listen and see what she might have to say. It's a beautiful feeling listening to that engine but at the same time a great habit to observe your vehicle for possible upcoming issues.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:53 AM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
remind me to let you drive my car when it gets warm
Really?
Old 01-17-2014, 11:11 AM
Ryan M Hartman
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto

I do the same thing. Mostly because it sounds so good and puts me in the proper, respectful mindset to drive the car.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:29 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

I thought I was the only one that did that. lol........ I'm always telling my friends and family to have this or that checked out because of the noises I hear. Saved them a ton of money
Old 01-17-2014, 08:17 PM
Targa Wannabe
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a great scene in the movie "Rush" where Nicky Lauda tells a girl who gives him a lift (and he ends up marrying) everything that's wrong with her car by listening and feeling while she drives - then the car breaks down!
Old 01-18-2014, 10:56 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

Fi 80s and 90s drivers….the best of the best!

Tom

Quick Reply: The car talks to you...only if you listen