Sponsored by:

Fabspeed Maxflow Air Intake 997

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 02:21 PM
kevinrubin
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fabspeed Maxflow Air Intake 997

I'm considering adding this to my '06 C4 Cab...anyone installed it? Did it change the sound? I had a similar intake on my 996 and it noticeably increased the sound (for the better IMHO)...I have no expectations that it will improve performance...

Finally, if you installed it yourself...any install issues?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

- Kevin
Old 03-27-2013, 04:50 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

As and FYI... I have the Evom CAI version and it does increase the decibel level. Installation was simple.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:27 PM
kevinrubin
Racer

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:55 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

You are going to remove the stock cold air intake for an after market intake that sucks in hot air? Bad idea. I like a lot of Fabspeeds products, there mufflers and headers are great quality but this intake doesn't work as a cold air intake.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:35 PM
kevinrubin
Racer

Hey Mike...I'm considering it...Had the EVOM V-Flow on my 996 and was happy with it...
Old 03-28-2013, 02:26 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

guys keep an eye out, Fabspeed is re-designing the J pipe intake for the 996/997....we will be addressing some of the concerns people have about the air going into the intake. Unless you have a GT3 decklid with scoops, I would advise you that our intake still will make more power and sound over the factory airbox.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:56 PM
kevinrubin
Racer

Thanks, Chris...when do you expect to release it?
Old 03-28-2013, 06:10 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
You are going to remove the stock cold air intake for an after market intake that sucks in hot air? Bad idea. I like a lot of Fabspeeds products, there mufflers and headers are great quality but this intake doesn't work as a cold air intake.
+ 1
Old 03-28-2013, 11:02 PM
fc2s
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EVO gets my vote.
Doesn't address the issue of sucking in engine hot air 100%, but comes pretty close with the design - and the sound at high rpm's makes the mod worthwhile.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:33 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

The Evo intake is an actual cold air intake. Some of the Grand Am 997's use to use it or use the stock air box. Absolutely NOTHING wrong with the stock box. Stock box flows enought air the the stock engine. If you want more intake sound and want to keep the stock box FABSPEED makes a rubber cap for the heimholtz resonator on the stock box and then you will get he sound.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:26 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

The Evo intake is an actual cold air intake. Some of the Grand Am 997's use to use it or use the stock air box. Absolutely NOTHING wrong with the stock box. Stock box flows enought air the the stock engine. If you want more intake sound and want to keep the stock box FABSPEED makes a rubber cap for the heimholtz resonator on the stock box and then you will get he sound.
CAI has always been a controversial topic but after some research I noticed that some of the Grand Am 997 teams were using the EVOM. Effective for those race teams so I figure it was good enough. The x51 airbox was my 1st choice... prettier but very costly. BTW, I purchased my EVOM from Justin at Rebel Rock last year. He posted a promo price recently if anyone wants one. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ow-intake.html
Old 03-29-2013, 02:54 PM
kevinrubin
Racer

Thanks all...very helpful.

Wish you all a happy good friday and holiday weekend.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:32 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I second mdrums opinion re the CAI and Fabspeed products in general. I installed their headers and sport CATs on my 996 prior to adding their Maxflo Competition Fresh Air Intake. Very high quality, American craftsmanship on the exhaust components - the headers are a work of art. I had it dyno'ed (Dynojet) with each step. The headers and sport cats yielded significant hp/tq increases - the Maxflo not so much.

I'm not familiar with the stock 997.1 airboxes but my 997.2's is very similar to that on the GT3RS. It is a true CAI in that ambient air is ducted directly into the airbox. To Mike's point the aftermarket CAI's draw air higher temperature air from the engine compartment. Higher EAT = lower O2 density = less power. Sound will be enhanced and without any drone (on my 996 anyway) but not power.

Fabspeed's quality is unquestioned. If sound is your primary concern the CAI will be a great add but it may cost you some power and throttle response, at least in my experience. Hope it all goes well.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:52 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
CAI has always been a controversial topic but after some research I noticed that some of the Grand Am 997 teams were using the EVOM. Effective for those race teams so I figure it was good enough. The x51 airbox was my 1st choice... prettier but very costly. BTW, I purchased my EVOM from Justin at Rebel Rock last year. He posted a promo price recently if anyone wants one. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ow-intake.html
Big +1 on Justin and Rebel Rock Motorsports. Turns out their shop is a mile from my home. I learned that from my UPS delivery man. He's delivered so many Porsche and aftermarket products, tires, etc. to my house - many on Friday afternoons while I was preparing for a weekend track event. He always took time to talk cars and one day told me that RRM was also on his route and I should check them out. I was familiar with Rebel Rock Racing from PCNA events we both participated in as well as local HPDE events.

I went over and met Justin. He is spearheading the expansion of the Motorsports division. His customer service is exemplary as is his P-car expertise. He is steadily building a local clientele through word of mouth and starting to get the word out nationwide via the internet, FB, Twitter and on RL. If anyone is interested in their products / services, hit 1 after dialing the 800 number to go directly to his extension.

I don't have any stake in RRM other than that of a satisfied customer. Sorry for the hijack.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:30 AM
kevinrubin
Racer

Thanks, Cloudspin...appreciate your (everyone's) input/perspective. Have a great holiday weekend.

Quick Reply: Fabspeed Maxflow Air Intake 997