Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homelink Hit or Miss

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 03:29 AM
mototrmpt
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I first purchased my 09 997.2 (used) and programmed the homelink, it was spotty and weak at best. To open the closed garage door I would need to be very close to the aluminum roll up garage door (within a couple of feet) to get it to work and even then, it did not always work. Since the car was CPO'd, I mentioned this to the dealer and they replaced my homelink under warranty. I can now open my closed garage from about 20' and it works great. It still doesn't have the range as all of my other cars, but it works fine. My other cars work from about 40' away.

Good luck with getting yours to work.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:31 AM
Schpee007
Pro

Originally Posted by mototrmpt
When I first purchased my 09 997.2 (used) and programmed the homelink, it was spotty and weak at best. To open the closed garage door I would need to be very close to the aluminum roll up garage door (within a couple of feet) to get it to work and even then, it did not always work. Since the car was CPO'd, I mentioned this to the dealer and they replaced my homelink under warranty. I can now open my closed garage from about 20' and it works great. It still doesn't have the range as all of my other cars, but it works fine. My other cars work from about 40' away.

Good luck with getting yours to work.
Thanks for sharing your experience. If I get the same performance after reprogramming I will do the same with my local dealer. Paid for the CPO for a reason, right? :-)
Old 01-17-2014, 11:29 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts
Default Possible solution: A long-range receiver

I had similar trouble with all of my cars, possibly due to the metal garage door, until I installed a long range receiver. I'll take a look when I get back home to see which one I used (I'll update this post once I know), but there are several on the market, here's one example: http://www.stardoorparts.com/Heddolf...R-294-K433.htm

If you get the one that is programmable, it can be programmed just like any other garage door opener. To hook it up you need somewhere to plug it in the power supply and you need to run wires from it to the same wires you hook up the manual pushbutton switch on the garage door. I placed my off to the side and above the metal garage door to make sure there was no shielding effect from the door itself (still inside, just on the sheetrock to the side).

You may need to first program the receiver with a hand-held transmitter from your existing garage door opener, get that working, then use the hand-held transmitter to program the Porsche's opener by holding it to the nose using the instructions provided in the manual and in an earlier post.

With this, I can shoot the garage door using the Porsche's built in Homelink buttons from at least 200 feet away so the door is fully open by the time I get there.

Tune back in this evening and I'll post the make/model of the one I had great success with.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:57 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 570 Likes on 339 Posts

did you get it to work?

Originally Posted by Schpee007
Thanks for sharing your experience. If I get the same performance after reprogramming I will do the same with my local dealer. Paid for the CPO for a reason, right? :-)
Old 01-17-2014, 01:59 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

If the car is programmed and works with the opener at all, then it is programmed. There is no half-way programmed or partly programmed. If you do not program the Homelink with a rolling code opener correctly, then it does not work, period.

Knowing that the OP's Homelink works at all, then it should work every time. If the performance varies with his Porsche but not with the Homelink on any of his other cars, then the problem is very obviously with the Homelink on his Porsche.

This kind of random, unexplainable and unrepeatable inconsistency of function has been my greatest frustration with my own car--not just with the Homelink but with other convenience functions as well.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:50 PM
mlv_250
Instructor

Where is the Homelink transmitter located in the car? Within the roof or elsewhere?
Old 01-17-2014, 08:47 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Just in case the alternate receiver approach I described today's earlier post is of interest, here is the one I have: http://www.geniedoor.com/universal-i...conversion-kit. With this installed my Porsche can open the door from at least 200 feet away. It's not really advertised as a range extender but it did the trick for me.

If you have a metal garage door, just be sure to mount it to the side where it will have a non-shielded "line-of-sight" to the street/driveway. Sheetrock and the house exterior doesn't block the signal enough to worry about.

You end up which an extra fob this way which may or not be generally useful, but I found it handy when programming the Porsche to recognize the new receiver.

Last edited by StormRune; 05-05-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:50 PM
GEO356
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spliced a wire onto the end of the garage door antenna and ran it along the garage ceiling and then through a small hole I punched in the top of the rubber garage door molding weather seal and left about an inch of the wire hanging out outside. Distance problem solved!
Old 01-18-2014, 08:05 PM
Schpee007
Pro

Update: Reprogrammed using the instructions from the Homelink website for a 2009 911 (thanks sandwedge for pointing me to the website) and...no better. Won't even consistently open the door when I am sitting in the garage. Houston, we have a problem...any ideas out there? I have Linear garage door openers. Maybe just time to take the car to the dealer and see if my Porsche Approved warranty is worth something. :-)
Old 01-19-2014, 06:17 PM
kato1453
Advanced

Just took progression of my new to me 08 C2S and used the instructions from home link and brogrammed a Raynor and Genie receivers and seems to work well
Old 01-19-2014, 06:22 PM
JesseRohr
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 108 Posts

My 997.2 CS works great. It actually works from further away than the transmitters that came with our opener. Go figure...
Old 01-30-2014, 10:41 PM
Schpee007
Pro

OP Update: Used the instructions from the Homelink website. After a few attempts I seem to have the button for my garage working consistently. Naturally, though, now I cannot get the button for my other garage door to program at all. Go figure!

Last edited by Schpee007; 05-05-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:37 AM
rreindl
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Finally got my Homelink to work after several hundred attempts. The only problem is that the range is no more than 6 feet. So unless the car is sitting in the garage it doesn't work. Does anyone have experience with the Homelink universal receiver that can be purchased separately? Does it improve range?
Old 05-05-2014, 03:35 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rreindl
Finally got my Homelink to work after several hundred attempts. The only problem is that the range is no more than 6 feet. So unless the car is sitting in the garage it doesn't work. Does anyone have experience with the Homelink universal receiver that can be purchased separately? Does it improve range?
See my post #37 above. I typically get a successful open with that receiver at least 150 feet away, sometimes more.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:41 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mlv_250
Where is the Homelink transmitter located in the car? Within the roof or elsewhere?
Finally noted this question. The transmitter is under the top surface of the front bumper, just left of center facing the car. There is a diagram in the owner's manual showing the location.

Quick Reply: Homelink Hit or Miss