Sponsored by:

Maintenance Intervals

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 08:13 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by yashagrawal
BTW, what is the recommended interval for alignment of wheels in a C4S. Also, does it vary by model ?.
Some will align when tires are swapped... I was about to do this last summer but my p-tech indicated that my tire wear and the car's drive feel was perfect so no need to do an alignment until I notice unusual tire wear or handling characteristics.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:09 AM
Schpee007
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just read through the thread. Good stuff here. Keep it coming. Sounds like I may be in trouble on my beater. Just about to clock 100k miles and reach the plug replacement. Car is 12 years old. Dealer will love me when I show up! :-)
Old 01-15-2014, 08:51 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Wow. My 977 is 7 years old with the original plugs. Hopefully it will not be too diffcult to change these. I've read that the coils tend to break easily. Suppose I should plan to do this in the spring. Right now I'm burned out from DIYs on an audi timing belt and a bmw idrive replacement.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:34 AM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I changed my plugs at 4 years and only 12k miles. They were fine and easy to remove. I almost hated to put new plugs in and waste 6 perfectly good plugs. I changed them anyway simply because I was there, and didn't want to go through all that until I had too (another 4 years, hopefully). I would venture to say that the maintenance guidelines are there for Porsche to cover all their bases and all manner of driving (IE DE's, salty corrosive environments, hard driving, ect). And to get us in the dealer showroom and garage.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:04 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan
Wow. My 977 is 7 years old with the original plugs. Hopefully it will not be too diffcult to change these. I've read that the coils tend to break easily. Suppose I should plan to do this in the spring. Right now I'm burned out from DIYs on an audi timing belt and a bmw idrive replacement.
Spray some
Kano Kroil Kano Kroil
around the plug thread and let soak for a few hours if you have issues with the plugs. My son broke a plug in his 4Runner a few years ago. Only three years between changes but it was the 1 year in Galveston, TX that afflicted his plugs adversely. The corrosive gulf water air did it's work. But we soaked overnight with KKoil and it practically hand threaded out. GL and you may want to consider swapping coils or at least having a few on hand JIC one falls apart upon removal. Again all of this is affected by your local environmental conditions so YMMV accordingly.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:58 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Spray some Kano Kroil around the plug thread and let soak for a few hours if you have issues with the plugs. My son broke a plug in his 4Runner a few years ago. Only three years between changes but it was the 1 year in Galveston, TX that afflicted his plugs adversely. The corrosive gulf water air did it's work. But we soaked overnight with KKoil and it practically hand threaded out. GL and you may want to consider swapping coils or at least having a few on hand JIC one falls apart upon removal. Again all of this is affected by your local environmental conditions so YMMV accordingly.
I have heard some great stuff about kano kroil. How does it compare to others like PB blaster, liquid wrench, WD-40?
Old 01-15-2014, 01:14 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by fskof
I have heard some great stuff about kano kroil. How does it compare to others like PB blaster, liquid wrench, WD-40?
I've used PB, Liquid, and WD-40 over the years. Came across Kano when I did aviation for living during the 90's. It has been my go to for tough jobs and firearms. It's more expensive so I still have the others solvents for less intensive tasks but it's becoming my go to for most all jobs. Far superior to the others... BTW, if you use it and/or any other solvent. Make sure to remove/clean the area affected afterwards... brake cleaner works well for cleaning. These solvents will affect your torque settings.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:42 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan
Change them. It maybe tough to extract them later.

Plus working on a p is better than a audi or bm
Old 01-15-2014, 04:49 PM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read here most days about owners changing oil at intervals ranging from 3000 miles to 20,000 mile, spark plugs per spec or "why not wait another 2 years? and how often to change the coolant.

In the latest Excellence Magazine one of the tech writers says, change oil at 5000 miles, coolant at 2 year intervals (Porsche says it is lifetime!) and brake fluid every year.

The beauty of all of this is that Porsche tells you what they suggest (yeah, what do they know?) Here in America you, as the owner, can do what you please--and then of course you live with the consequences.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:12 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
I've used PB, Liquid, and WD-40 over the years. Came across Kano when I did aviation for living during the 90's. It has been my go to for tough jobs and firearms. It's more expensive so I still have the others solvents for less intensive tasks but it's becoming my go to for most all jobs. Far superior to the others... BTW, if you use it and/or any other solvent. Make sure to remove/clean the area affected afterwards... brake cleaner works well for cleaning. These solvents will affect your torque settings.
Thanks for the tip. I will have to get some. I have been looking foer something better than the PB, Liquid, and WD-40 that I have been using.

Quick Reply: Maintenance Intervals