Sponsored by:

A Christmas Miracle - new engine from Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 07:20 PM
MuffinMan
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A Christmas Miracle - new engine from Porsche

As the title to this post states, I have experienced what I consider a Christmas miracle. I suffered a catastrophic engine failure very shortly after taking ownership of my 2005 997, and thought I was completely out on my own for the repair. Fortunately, I was referred to Chris Dodin, at Jack Daniels Porsche, who became a true advocate and made exceptional efforts on my behalf. On Christmas eve, Chris delivered better news on my situation than I could have possibly imagined. Read on for the long version.

I'm a long time automotive enthusiast, and have been a die-hard Porsche guy since I bought my first one in 1996. I was just out of college, and a black/black 968 was automotive euphoria. I felt honored to own such a car, and was constantly reminded of how different the philosophy behind the marque was every time I used my left hand to start the car. I immediately put the car on the track and autocross circuit, and was heavy into the PCA for many years. In 1999, I bought a Continental Orange 1977 911S and spent several years transforming it into a true track weapon, performing many of the modifications myself. In 2002, a Boxster joined the stable as a daily driver for a handful of years, which I also loved. Those cars were all relatively bullet-proof, and made me a true believer in the brand.

This summer, I decided it was time for a change and I sold my '77 911 in anticipation of its replacement. As usual, I thoroughly researched my options and settled on a 997. I found a great candidate with low mileage (25k), well-optioned, in excellent cosmetic condition, with an outstanding (documented) service history. It passed a PPI with flying colors, and I felt really good about the car. The CPO warranty ended mid-September, and I took ownership of the car on October 25. My car was built in November 2004, and has the smaller IMS bearing. Again, heavy research went into this, and I felt comfortable with the car knowing that the bearing needed to be upgraded to achieve peace of mind.

I put a few hundred miles on the car during November, and grew to appreciate it more with every drive. I made an appointment to have the IMS bearing upgraded, and took part in a NY Porsche fun run over Thanksgiving weekend. The plan was to drop the car off at a shop on the way home to upgrade the bearing, but fate had other plans. 30 minutes from the shop, I heard the "death rattle" and pulled over. That was all she wrote, and I called AAA to tow the car. A few Porsche friends waited it out with me, and we drank my sorrows away at a local watering hole after my car was hauled off into the darkness.

I was in a difficult position, as an engine replacement is very expensive, and an engine "repair" isn't that far off, if it even could be repaired. I was almost certain it was an IMS failure, and the IMS settlement entitles me to only 25% coverage since I am a "used" owner and did not buy it new or as a CPO car from a Porsche dealer. I felt incredibly unlucky, considering all of the circumstances.

After making a number of calls, I got a very strong recommendation for Chris Dodin at Jack Daniels Porsche. He spent hours on the phone with me over the course of a week or so, thoroughly discussing the situation and all of the possible scenarios. At one point I called PCNA customer care, and was transferred to the IMS Settlement group. The rep I spoke to confirmed I was entitled to only 25% coverage and that there were absolutely no exceptions or goodwill contributions beyond that figure. My hopes for Porsche goodwill sunk, and 25% is but a small dent when you're looking at a $23k bill. I got back on the phone with Chris and he explained several ways things could go, and made several inquiries through the PCNA ranks on my behalf. He felt that I had a case considering the car has a full Porsche dealer service history, has low mileage, and is just out of CPO warranty. He couldn't give me a true answer on what he could do for me until he diagnosed the car, so last Wednesday I had it towed (which is a story in itself) to Jack Daniels. Chris immediately put his top guy on the car and confirmed that the IMS bearing failed.

As you can imagine, I was still on pins and needles, considering the uncertainty of the situation and the incredibly high potential repair cost. Chris commiserated with my situation, and told me to hang tight. That was Friday, Dec 20, and I thought I might have a long wait for answers since we were bumping up against the holiday. Low and behold, he called on Tuesday morning, Christmas Eve, with my answer. When he originally submitted my case to PCNA, it was met with the standard 25% coverage (pre)determination. He called PCNA and pleaded my case, explaining the situation and stressing the strong Porsche dealer service history of the car, along with very recent CPO expiration. My highest expectations were exceeded, and PCNA is standing behind their product, agreeing to cover a replacement engine at 100%. I cannot thank Chris enough for his efforts on my behalf, and I applaud PCNA for doing the right thing and restoring my faith in the marque. The 100% coverage and timing of the decision felt like a Christmas miracle right out of a movie on the Hallmark channel, and it's safe to say I'm a very happy enthusiast this holiday season.

Below are pictures of the outgoing 911, pre-purchase pics, and homecoming of the 997 with spousal and offspring approval.
Attached Images         
Old 12-26-2013, 07:23 PM
MuffinMan
Instructor

Playing Porsche with a friend, post-details pics, and Thanksgiving Porsche run pics.
Attached Images                
Old 12-26-2013, 07:26 PM
MuffinMan
Instructor

More fun run pics, the break-down, and flatbed to JD.
Attached Images         
Old 12-26-2013, 07:45 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your car is almost a twin of mine.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:51 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

Chris is a lovely, sincere person and Jack Daniels does a wonderful job servicing my car....I'd never go anywhere else....ever! They go the extra mile always!

Tom
Old 12-26-2013, 07:58 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for sharing the positive news!

The smile on your boys face is priceless!
Old 12-26-2013, 08:07 PM
tomc66
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What engine will you receive? Will it be a 991 engine?
Old 12-26-2013, 08:11 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats! I hope I never have to face the dreaded IMS, I know PCNA won't be so generous with my higher mileage car. By the way, your earlier orange 911 was/is stunning! It must have been hard to let go of it.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:11 PM
MuffinMan
Instructor

Originally Posted by tomc66
What engine will you receive? Will it be a 991 engine?
A remanufactured version of the same engine in the car now.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:20 PM
MuffinMan
Instructor

Originally Posted by IslandS52
Congrats! I hope I never have to face the dreaded IMS, I know PCNA won't be so generous with my higher mileage car. By the way, your earlier orange 911 was/is stunning! It must have been hard to let go of it.
Thank you for the compliments on my old 911. I absolutely loved that car and struggled for over a year on the decision to sell it. Ultimately, with my family situation the way it is now, a 997 will get a lot more use and is a better use of that space in the garage. I already have a child seat in the back of the 997 and it is my 3 year old's favorite car of the fleet. He watches the tach and gives me the play by play on what number it is at.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:26 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MuffinMan
Thank you for the compliments on my old 911. I absolutely loved that car and struggled for over a year on the decision to sell it. Ultimately, with my family situation the way it is now, a 997 will get a lot more use and is a better use of that space in the garage. I already have a child seat in the back of the 997 and it is my 3 year old's favorite car of the fleet. He watches the tach and gives me the play by play on what number it is at.
I have 2 small kids also, so I know exactly what you are saying. I gave up a beloved 2002 MCoupe as it just sat in the garage since I couldn't really transport wife/kids in it. My daughter loves our 997 as well.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:46 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Very cool story, glad PCNA did what they did. That really is something to respect!
Enjoy car and drive her like you stole her!

Cheers!
Old 12-26-2013, 08:52 PM
PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IslandS52
Congrats! I hope I never have to face the dreaded IMS, I know PCNA won't be so generous with my higher mileage car.
They may well have just opened the door for covering vehicles out of warranty and out of CPO. It will be interesting see how they can arbitrarily choose to cover one vehicle and not another.

MuffinMan, congratulations on getting it covered, that is excellent news indeed!
Old 12-26-2013, 09:41 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Amazing. Congrats! I remember you posting when you first got the car. Glad it worked out
Old 12-26-2013, 09:51 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

Man, I don't know you, but I felt for you.
Seeing those precious boys,I can only imagine what a financial strain fixing that engine wound be on your family. I am so happy for you and I would say you owe that guy at Jack Daniels Porsche a dinner at Ruth Chris Steak. Merry Christmas. You are one lucky guy!

Quick Reply: A Christmas Miracle - new engine from Porsche