Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do these Before-n-After fillters look, um, "typical"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 02:49 PM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Johnny, did you post something? can't get past your avatar.

But seriously, yeah, the air filter looks bad, but having some experience with airflow dynamics, I bet that filter was filtering at 90%. Even so, $25 and 30 minutes for 100% flow works for me!

Wow, thanks USMC, I didn't know they went down to 12k oil changes on the '08. That seems more realistic.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:14 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
I believe for MY05-07 997's Porsche had a oil change schedule of 20K miles. For MY08 they changed to every 12K miles. Of course, now that you're DIYing then you can do a change as often as you like but I would not go beyond 12K miles.
and I change it every 5k
Old 01-13-2014, 06:03 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by fskof
and I change it every 5k
+1... I'm also an advocate of more frequent maintenance and preventative maintenance. I know we'll have varying opinions on the forum but I like to change my oil every 6 months or 3k miles. Gives me an opportunity to inspect the filter and look under the engine for any leaks, issues, etc. FWIW, I only get to put about 6K miles per year on the car.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:08 PM
Luxter
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

There is a small issue with extended drain intervals in M96/97 engines.
Dry oil capacity is about 10L IIRC, however you’ll be lucky to ordain about 9L at most during your regular oil change. That means that about 1L or more of used oil remains in the engine after every oil change.
To give you an example: my last year’s oil had about 900 ppms of Magnesium and my present fill only about 20 ppms of Magnesium. After most recent oil change I sent used oil for UOA which reported ~200 ppms of Magnesium. Do the math, there is a fair cross-contamination going on between both fresh and used oils.
What it means that if you indeed run your oil long and hard, some of it will remain in engine and contaminate your fresh fill and basically kill your TBN PDQ.
Most street (or A40 approved) oils tend to last about 5T miles before you see strong decline in TBN (drop to about 1/2 of the VOA value) eventually leading to runaway oxidation.
You want to change your oil before TBN and TAN curves intersect. See more here:
http://www.jglubricantservices.com/d...on%20Sheet.pdf
Keep that in mind in particular if you do DE, track time or drive in demanding environment.
As always, YMMV.
Cheers,
=L=

Quick Reply: Do these Before-n-After fillters look, um, "typical"?