Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Overheated" in service writeup a concern?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 11:41 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts
Default "Overheated" in service writeup a concern?

Just had the water pump and serpentine belt replaced. Sent an email to the service advisor explaining the events leading up to me shutting down the car before flat bedding it to the dealer. I mentioned an increase in coolant and oil temp which is when I pulled over and turned off the engine. On the service writeup/invoice, someone wrote that my car overheated which it never did. This is now part of the car's history and according to the service advisor can never be changed. I'm not thrilled about this since it's not an accurate description.

Would anyone here have second thoughts about buying a 997 with a history of "overheating" due to a failed water pump?
Old 01-10-2014, 11:46 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

get a grip on yourself.

seriously, don't worry about it.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:59 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
get a grip on yourself. seriously, don't worry about it.

Quad....priceless!
Old 01-11-2014, 12:03 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Seriously,I don't think it will show up in the dealer system. It will probably say water pump and serpentine belt changed.
Plus,if and when you'll be selling the car,a smart person will ask for a PPI which will clear any concern(if the person has any...).
I agree,you shouldn't worry about it...
Old 01-11-2014, 12:36 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
get a grip on yourself.

seriously, don't worry about it.
I'm not the worrying type. Just asking for opinions here since I already have one from a potential buyer of my car. He was horrified when he read the language on the invoice/receipt.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:38 AM
swordsmn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

neanicu, Like your signature. I drink less coffee as well. :-)
Old 01-11-2014, 12:57 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I'm not the worrying type. Just asking for opinions here since I already have one from a potential buyer of my car. He was horrified when he read the language on the invoice/receipt.
Then encourage him to go do a leak down during PPI.
Even if your car overheated(hypothetical speaking),it doesn't automatically mean the head gasket is blown.

GLWS!
Old 01-11-2014, 12:57 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by swordsmn
neanicu, Like your signature. I drink less coffee as well. :-)
Thanks,I try...
Old 01-11-2014, 01:02 AM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you consider your car to be a "retirement investment" then you'll never enjoy it. I fussed over the car when I first bought it and got into tussles with the GF over small things but really guys...its a damn car! Yes, you protect your 'baby' but this is paranoia. Drive it like you stole it!

Old 01-11-2014, 02:58 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by neanicu

Quad....priceless!
Priceless dorkiness. Kissing up to the biggest bully in the forum. Insecure much?

Originally Posted by neanicu
Seriously,I don't think it will show up in the dealer system. It will probably say water pump and serpentine belt changed.
Plus,if and when you'll be selling the car,a smart person will ask for a PPI which will clear any concern(if the person has any...).
I agree,you shouldn't worry about it...
To both you and quad.....since when is asking for an opinion equal to worrying? Maybe I'm just curious if my potential buyer is a an outlier or if others would feel the same way. I've read these threads for 7 years now and you're in denial if you don't recognize the paranoia among some of those shopping for these cars. And whether or not the report shows up in the dealer system is irrelevant. I share the actual repair receipts with the buyer.

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
If you consider your car to be a "retirement investment" then you'll never enjoy it. I fussed over the car when I first bought it and got into tussles with the GF over small things but really guys...its a damn car! Yes, you protect your 'baby' but this is paranoia. Drive it like you stole it!

I have no idea what the hell you're talking about. Please read the thread again and report back if you have anything constructive to add. " Retirement investment".....WTF?
Old 01-11-2014, 05:52 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Priceless dorkiness. Kissing up to the biggest bully in the forum. Insecure much? To both you and quad.....since when is asking for an opinion equal to worrying? Maybe I'm just curious if my potential buyer is a an outlier or if others would feel the same way. I've read these threads for 7 years now and you're in denial if you don't recognize the paranoia among some of those shopping for these cars. And whether or not the report shows up in the dealer system is irrelevant. I share the actual repair receipts with the buyer. I have no idea what the hell you're talking about. Please read the thread again and report back if you have anything constructive to add. " Retirement investment".....WTF?
Ok...
You are getting flamed too easily.
You wanted opinions and I've answered twice,both times with arguments.(joking aside)
I do apologize if you thought my responses didn't live up to your expectation...
I still think that :
a) the right buyer will appreciate your efforts to disclose the history of your car
b) the right buyer will perform a PPI that will clear up his concerns

GLWS!
Old 01-11-2014, 06:25 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

Jason,

Here's what I think! First of all whoever wrote that on the service receipt/invoice made a mistake…If the service advisor won't change it I'd elevate that to his boss and his boss and so on till I got someone that would change it…it's wrong….it needs to be fixed.

It doesn't make any sense that that receipt can't be re-done. Good Luck!

Tom
Old 01-11-2014, 09:15 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 229 Posts

sandwedge-

You are missing the point...997 Toronto and Quad and others are saying "don't worry about it" and I agree.

Some buyers are insane to the point that I've actually told a guy interested in my car that its not right for him. He seemed stunned. He was being **** about prior service records (my RMS was replaced early on in the cars life) and to the point that it was becoming rude.

People forget that:

1. Cars face all multitudes of weather
2. Cars break
3. Cars get into accidents
4. Not all owners treat their cars the same

I get the feeling that buyers tend to forget these facts. As long as you have great service records and take care of your car then you'll find the right buyer and perhaps be fortunate enough to tell others to get bent.

And as with what Tommy has said simply ask the dealer to correct the service invoice if it bothers you but honestly it shouldn't or won't affect your potential re-sale.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:23 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

sandwedge,

As far as I know Porsche dealers are not connected as far as service history goes so any details about your car should be local to that dealer.

My question is how would a technician know if your car over heated? Over heating and getting hot are different. Did the tech just relay what you told him that the temps increased prior to shutting down? If so then I don't think there is any basis for those notes; if your car overheated then there needs to be evidence of overheating damage.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:01 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

As it may seam like a trivial matter I agree with Camsporsche. Used Porsche buyers expectations can be out of touch with reality and he may have to do a lot of explaining to a potential buyer over this. If the dealers shop reports repairs to Carfax as our shop does, it may show up. There is a big difference telling a potential buyer that the waterpump and thermostat were replaced under normal maintenance and trying to convince them that the note on the invoice is in error and the car was not overheated. They will not trust that you were telling the truth and ether walk away or be a complete **** and try to low-ball you.

Quick Reply: "Overheated" in service writeup a concern?