Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Central NC Porsche friendly roads/destinations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 12:57 PM
1GoodTurn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Central NC Porsche friendly roads/destinations?

Hello All,

New guy here, new year (happy to you), first P car (new to me) with a destination question. I live in central NC and am looking for a Porsche friendly road and lunch destination (restaurant, snack place, or similar) with an open and safe parking lot in my area (Burlington/Greensboro/Mebane/Hillsborough, etc.?). Looking for a Sunday drive this weekend. It's supposed to be nice weather and I need to warm up the car. I'm still in the panic stage when I have to park her and walk away (out of sight). Any suggestions would be appreciated! Regards.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:05 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist.
If you havent yet I would join the Porsche club in your area. The local members could help you out with there secret favorite roads and lunch destinations. Most clubs will have group rides on scenic back roads.

Since you live in NC you are not to far away from the Blueridge parkway and of coarse the famous Tail of the dragon (Deals Gap) http://tailofthedragon.com/dragon.html

Remember to post pics of your drives

Also post some info about your car.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:57 PM
windboat
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

There are many many roads in NC/SC/TN/GA for your PCAR. I would warn you though this time of of the year they can be very dangerous with snow, black ice, etc. Many sections of the Blue Ridge Parkway are now closed to traffic for the winter. Here are a couple of good road resources sites for you to consider: http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Route...olina_109.html and http://tailofthedragon.com/dragon.html

Get to know your car well by driving smooth flat winding roads first, you will enjoy the mountain twisties much more after you and your PCar become friends.

By all means join the local PCA, the Carolinas group are great folks.

Enjoy the new ride
Old 01-10-2014, 02:04 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

If it were warmer I would suggest the Blue Ridge but this time of year is questionable or likely not a good idea.

At least you have access to it during the spring/summer/fall, one of the best driving roads in the world.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:45 PM
1GoodTurn
Advanced

Thanks and definitely the Blue Ridge come spring time. Just looking for an hour or two jaunt for a lunch date. She screams too much to go too fast anyway (the girl, not the car). Didn't know if there is a preferred "P" safe destination. Last time we took it to Pittsboro, I carefully parked in an end street space (best there was in this instance). I came out of a restaurant and there was a few guys just standing (and swaying) joyfully eating ice cream 3" from the hood of my car, completely oblivious of the potential danger to life and limb, if they were tripped by the low front bumper and fell onto my car. Don't need that stress again.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:27 PM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Have you seen 66 between Winston Salem and 89? Looks like it has some fun curves. Not far from Mt Airy for lunch or make it a picnic at Pilot Mtn State Park. Of course you could also pull up google maps and look for a fun back country road route to Danville VA. Being next door to V.I.R. they have seen plenty of Porsches in Danville.

Edit...if you push North of Mt Airy and cross the state line look for the following roads; Squirrel Spur, Pipers Gap, Orchard Gap. It's been years since I looked for good roads east of I77 so I had to look back through some of my old motorcycle maps.

Last edited by BrakingBad; 01-11-2014 at 03:04 PM. Reason: added roads.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:53 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

In Charlotte here - we often make runs up to the blue ridge area....

BB mentions Pilot Mtn, good spot.

There are some decent spots north of Greensboro, but I'm not sure which highways. Go visit the guys at the Porsche dealership, and then go over to Steve B at the Lambo place, and chat it up. They'll give you some good ideas too.

Carolinas Region PCA (Charlotte central chapter) and Hurricane Region in Raleigh might be good connections too.

And if you're ever near Charlotte, give us a buzz.

Congrats!

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 01-13-2014, 12:41 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

So where did you go?
Old 01-14-2014, 11:58 AM
1GoodTurn
Advanced

Thanks for the replies. I'll look forward to trying them all. I am a little embarrassed to say, this Sunday turned out to be a "bust" after watching the Carolina loss to SF. I definitely should have turned off the TV and jumped in the car! Maybe next weekend!

Regards.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:10 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

I concur with BrakingBad. Lots of good roads around Pilot Mountain and also around Hanging Rock State Park.

Blue Ridge Parkway is pretty but the speed limit is absurdly slow and strictly enforced (watch the Top Gear episode where they took supercars to the Blue Ridge Parkway--their reaction to the speed limit is funny). I can't stand driving on it.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:34 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep, and a ticket on the Parkway is handled in FEDERAL court.

Quick Reply: Central NC Porsche friendly roads/destinations?