Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Porsche Driving: Who does it? Is the C4/C4s really better than the C2/C2s?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 09:35 AM
deeplo
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Porsche Driving: Who does it? Is the C4/C4s really better than the C2/C2s?

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the rennlist and forums, and first must say how wonderful a resource this is, and that I look forward to being an active contributor in the future.

I am currently in the market for a 997-Gen2 - and would like it to be my daily driver. I live in the Northeast - New York/Connecticut area.

I'm aware of some of the classic discussion points between the C2/C2s and the C4/C4s ( driving, handling, wide body aesthetic, classic porsche feel), but I wonder, for those of you that actually drive your Porsches in the winter, especially in the Northeast, how you believe your P-Cars fare in the winter conditions.

Are there any distinct advantages o the C4/C4s over the C2/C2s in actual northeast winter driving? What are the limitations? Do you ever say - "leaving it in the garage today."

Also, what do you do to prepare your Porsches for winter driving?

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2014, 10:32 AM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First year owning a 2007 C2 and loving it in the Toronto winter. A good set of winter tires and common sense makes driving this car a lot of fun even in the winter. The C4 will obviously do better from a traction standpoint, the S on either will add more options & power but I doubt will impact winter driving.

Welcome to the forum.

Check out this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-much-fun.html
Old 01-10-2014, 10:44 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

I'm on my 4th 911 and live exactly where you do.

I've had one C2 and 3 C4Ss….IMO there's a big difference in handling in the snow with the C4S over the C2 which is why I buy them!

I never leave mine home on purpose. If my wife happens to be home and her GLK is sitting there I might take it but not because the 911 can't go.

I just put snows on her every November and off she goes until late March when my summer tires and HREs go back on……over 14 years and no issues….and you won't have any either….just to be clear I'd pick the C4!

Tom
Old 01-10-2014, 10:45 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

All wheel drive vs 2 wheel drive?
Of course.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:16 AM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 318 Posts

C4S is amazing in the snow. Pick up a good set of winters and enjoy. The only time I think twice about driving it is if the roads have a large accumulation of snow that has not been plowed. During these times, the car can have ground clearance issues. In a big city where the streets are plowed quickly, this shouldn't be an issue, but problems can still arise on the side streets (as they do for me sometimes).
Old 01-10-2014, 11:24 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

The choice really should depend on what you prefer in the dry.

Why? Putting on good snow tires makes a world of difference in winter driving. My BWM is great in the snow with aggressive blizzaks. I keep the 997 in garage and away from the salt, rocks and grime.

If you drive in elevated terrain, the C4 becomes the better option. Of course you could just prefer it in the dry as well.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:40 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

The only downside with a 997 as a year round car is the ground clearance.

Most important to me is the ability to stop, therefore snow tires come in handy. There's nothing you can do about clearance.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:31 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

Any car with snow tires will be better than a car without. So a c2/c2s with snow tires will be better than a c4/c4s without.

I dont drive mine during the winter not because of the snow but where I live we get pot holes that swallow large suv's and salt that will sand blast the paint right off of your car. They dump so much salt on the roads that at times it looks like a gravel road. It does keep the window replacement shops very busy
Old 01-10-2014, 12:40 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts
Default Yep, desire in the dry, must have snows.

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan
The choice really should depend on what you prefer in the dry.
+1

It is the tires. I have a 2009 C2S and have been driving this winter on Michelin Alpins and find the car very secure and stable in the snow.... I do not wish for a C4 as it pertains to snow performance.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-10-2014, 12:52 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by deeplo
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the rennlist and forums, and first must say how wonderful a resource this is, and that I look forward to being an active contributor in the future.

I am currently in the market for a 997-Gen2 - and would like it to be my daily driver. I live in the Northeast - New York/Connecticut area.

I'm aware of some of the classic discussion points between the C2/C2s and the C4/C4s ( driving, handling, wide body aesthetic, classic porsche feel), but I wonder, for those of you that actually drive your Porsches in the winter, especially in the Northeast, how you believe your P-Cars fare in the winter conditions.

Are there any distinct advantages o the C4/C4s over the C2/C2s in actual northeast winter driving? What are the limitations? Do you ever say - "leaving it in the garage today."

Thanks!
A good questions would be what do you drive now?

If its an Audi with Quattro you will have high expectations, and you may want that extra bit of traction a C4/S will provide.

If you have a RWD front engine car, just having a RWD with a rear engine weight bias may be enough of an improvement

Brett
Old 01-10-2014, 01:54 PM
mxp
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel like my 997.2 C4S is the only one which drives terrible in the snow.

My set up:
H&R Springs
Fresh Alignment
Front Tires: SottoZero 240s 235/40/18 ~50% DOT Stamp 20/07
Rear Tires: Michelin PA2 265/40/18 ~90% DOT Stamp 42/12

In any amount of snow the rear wants to come out, even straight line acceleration in let's say 1/4 inch of snow, am I crazy? I'm comparing to my SLK 55 which felt the same but was RWD ....
Old 01-10-2014, 02:15 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 229 Posts

Love my Carrera 4 in the snow. You can feel the front wheels grip on occassion that that there is the difference between having a rear wheel C2 or C2S.

Remember the widebodied (larger hipped cars) are the Carrera 4 and C4S as they share the awd drivetrain.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:21 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by deeplo
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
The 997.2 front drive coupling system is about laying down, SPREADING, engine torque at times when the level of torque "commanded" would otherwise result in rear wheelspin.

Whereas snow/ice driving REQUIRES finesse, feathering the throttle right up to the point, cusp, of wheelspin but not beyond.

The 997.2 front drive coupling does not, will not, activate when/if the car is properly driven on a slippery roadbed. On the other hand you may have to disable TC in order to "find" that "do not go beyond point".

Don't really know but I quite strongly suspect the front drive system will stiffen up less and less in accordance with the tightness of a turn, turning. Dedicate more front traction to the turning effort.

If I ever find myself owning a vehicle (Venza in mind) with this type of opposite axle drive clutch I will immediately add a manual switch to keep the clutch fully engaged on a slippery surface but ONLY at low speed.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:27 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
I'm on my 4th 911 and live exactly where you do.

I've had one C2 and 3 C4Ss….IMO there's a big difference in handling in the snow with the C4S over the C2 which is why I buy them!

I never leave mine home on purpose. If my wife happens to be home and her GLK is sitting there I might take it but not because the 911 can't go.

I just put snows on her every November and off she goes until late March when my summer tires and HREs go back on……over 14 years and no issues….and you won't have any either….just to be clear I'd pick the C4!

Tom
The Porsche VC front drive clutch NEVER "activates" in the wintertime conditions of need, especially with TC active.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:59 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Tires. Tires. Tires.

That's the key to winter driving with any 911.

Quick Reply: Winter Porsche Driving: Who does it? Is the C4/C4s really better than the C2/C2s?