Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Porsche Driving: Who does it? Is the C4/C4s really better than the C2/C2s?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 11:50 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 782 Posts

With PSM off, my GTS is the most fun in the snow of any RWD car I've owned. With PSM on, anyone with RWD experience in the winter wouldn't have problems except on deep snow days (clearance issues with the Aerokit front spoiler). A 4s would provide better traction, but much of the enjoyment of sliding and drifting around with a flick of the wheel and a dash of throttle would be dialed out.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:30 AM
Vape NYC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if this adds anything but I just got a 2010 Targa 4S that has Pirelli PZero summer tires on it. In my previous car (RX-8) I would put on the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S all season but that size isn't available for my car. Tire Rack's suggestion is to go down from 305's to 295's in the rear to be able to get the Continental All season tires. Here in the New York City area I noticed some tire slipping the cold weather with the summer tires, which still have good tread on them. I will go with an all season once these tires wear out. Also I love the undocumented ability to turn the front wheel drive off, but I havent played with that yet. Please see me other thread about questions about the car I have.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:49 AM
deeplo
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Number of tremendous points. Thank you all.

The takeaway points for me seem to be as follow.
1. Snow tires are a must.
2. Most everyone agrees that the C4/C4s is significantly better than the C2/C2s, but that with snow tires, the C2/C2s will be fine.
3. Be careful/judicious with the throttle in snow to keep the car straight.

I've been driving a front wheel drive Maxima/Accord in the snow for the past 15 years, so that's my base - I'm not coming from a RWD or AWD Background.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:03 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 570 Likes on 339 Posts

im in the same boat as you. my suv (and all my previous cars are FWD), and my small daily driver is RWD.

snow tires are a MUST, and RWD in the snow you do have to be a little more cautious then FWD in the snow.

you should be good and enjoy!

Originally Posted by deeplo
Number of tremendous points. Thank you all.

The takeaway points for me seem to be as follow.
1. Snow tires are a must.
2. Most everyone agrees that the C4/C4s is significantly better than the C2/C2s, but that with snow tires, the C2/C2s will be fine.
3. Be careful/judicious with the throttle in snow to keep the car straight.

I've been driving a front wheel drive Maxima/Accord in the snow for the past 15 years, so that's my base - I'm not coming from a RWD or AWD Background.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:58 PM
spittingcobra
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently got caught in a bit of a snow pile while driving home but was pleasantly surprised how well my C2S handled. My previous 986 was quite the opposite.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:25 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Chiming in: '09 C2S DD now with Blizzaks LM 60. IMO winter driving, to repeat what others have said, is all about having proper tires, no matter what car you drive. Then add to that driving with your head, i.e no undue speeding and start your braking well ahead to avoid skids.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:25 PM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

Best way to approach this is to take Porsche out of it. Daily winter driving in the snow. 2wd or 4wd? It's a no-brainer.

Porsche's electronic aids are great, but remember they won't do you any good if your ride height is too low and you're on summer tires.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:49 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Vape NYC
Not sure if this adds anything but I just got a 2010 Targa 4S that has Pirelli PZero summer tires on it. In my previous car (RX-8) I would put on the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S all season but that size isn't available for my car. Tire Rack's suggestion is to go down from 305's to 295's in the rear to be able to get the Continental All season tires. Here in the New York City area I noticed some tire slipping the cold weather with the summer tires, which still have good tread on them. I will go with an all season once these tires wear out. Also I love the undocumented ability to turn the front wheel drive off, but I havent played with that yet. Please see me other thread about questions about the car I have.

Don't put all season tires on a 911. Then you have compromised performance in all situations. They're not as grippy in the summer so you lose there and they're not true snow tires so you lose there. The only way to do it is to have dedicated snow tires and then run summer performance tires to get the most out of the car.

Quick Reply: Winter Porsche Driving: Who does it? Is the C4/C4s really better than the C2/C2s?