Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag light on after battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013 | 09:20 PM
997Austin
Track Day

Default Airbag light on after battery drain

I left my lights on last night and needed a jump to get the car started (997.1 S). All is ok now except the airbag light won't go out. Any suggestions? If the answer is I need an OBD2 to reset it, I'd appreciate recommendations on which one to purchase. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2013 | 01:35 AM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

I drained my battery not 4 days ago and the PSM warning light was on for the first 10 minutes of the drive after the battery was recharged and then it turned off by itself. Have u driven the car much after the recharge?
Old 12-20-2013 | 06:13 AM
997Austin
Track Day

I've driven it less than 10 miles since. I'm due to make my weekly run from Houston to Austin today (180 miles) so maybe I'll just wait and see if it rights itself before I try anything else. Thanks!
Old 12-20-2013 | 10:30 AM
chris.hanle
Pro

I was told by the dealer that that could happen, but here on the forum most do say it will go off after a bit. As for obdII, I believe any that state that "airbag/check engine light reset" and state will work on porsche should reset the light. With a little caveat, some warning lights require programming, like weight sensors ect and require durametric or piwis. I have a durametric and a obdII. In one instance the airbag light was on and the OBDII did not recognize the light at all. This was due to work I had done and the light was telling me to reprogram the seat weight sensors (put in an airbag shut off switch). If it remains you could pull up to just about any parts store (orilieys. pep boys, autozone ect) and if it reads on theirs you can reset with one. They will probably not reset it for you though.
Old 12-20-2013 | 08:11 PM
997Austin
Track Day

Three hours driving from Houston to Austin and the airbag light remains illuminated. Time to move on to plan B.
Old 12-21-2013 | 03:05 AM
hurricanesteve
Advanced

Get a durametric.

I removed the battery to put in a Dension ipod/bluetooth device and ended up with an airbag light. If you search for posts started by me, you can find my thread on the subject.

Long story short: durametric reported the weight sensor was giving bad data. bunch of testing/messing around in durametric and got that to go away, but light stayed lit and error changed to bad impact sensor. Others with the same code replaced the sensor behind the bumper ($130 part) and solved it. I'm waiting for some time in my schedule to do the same.
Old 01-11-2014 | 08:03 PM
997Austin
Track Day

My TPMS gave out on me a couple of weeks after the airbag light issue so I asked the indy shop that installed the TPMS if they could clear the light. They could and they did; no charge. Motorwerks of Houston. I'm not much of a DIYer so I decided not to buy the Durametric - for now, not sure if I'd ever use it again. Thanks again for the advice.
Old 01-11-2014 | 11:20 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

I had the same issue and I had to use a Durametric to reset it.
The following users liked this post:
byroncheung (03-01-2024)

Quick Reply: Airbag light on after battery drain