Sponsored by:

Porsche Sport Exhaust will not activate

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 08:35 AM
jbrow
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Porsche Sport Exhaust will not activate

I have a 2007 C2S with factory installed PSE. Just a few weeks prior to parking the car for the winter, I noticed that the deeper, sport exhaust would no longer engage when initiating the 'sport' mode. All other functions of that mode continued to work, however (increased throttle response & PASM adjustments).

I'm looking for any advice on a DIY diagnosis/solution, such as manually forcing the sport exhaust to engage without the sport button - can anyone please advise?

Many thanks in advance!
Old 01-09-2014, 11:35 AM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had this problem as well, if this happened after sitting it may be a frozen linkage.

I fixed it by removing the rear bumper and heated up the linkage with a torch while spraying penetrating lube. Once free I put some high temp grease on. Works perfect ever since
Old 01-09-2014, 12:32 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are two flaps that open to provide more sound when PSE button is hit, like BAD.TAG said, it could be a frozen flaps issue. Let the car sit in a warmer environment for a day or so before you try it again.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:17 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ah, poor choice of words. I actually meant rusted/seized.

Although I supposed it could be actually frozen from the recent cold temps, I would think this would be cured once it gets to running temp.

Weather related terms must be on my mind after the recent arctic chill here in the NE
Old 01-09-2014, 04:38 PM
jbrow
Advanced

Thanks for the first-hand recount, bad.tag, that sounds like it could very possibly be what I'm dealing with. It's definitely not a temperature issue - prior to parking the car we had a wave of 50 degree weather. (btw I creeped on your website for some pics - beautiful car. I think 996C4S and Turbos are stunning)

I came accross this PSE mod after a little more research, which I'm guessing won't be a fix, but if I can get the two flaps open maybe I can just keep them open? I would prefer that anyway.

What do you guys think? This almost has to be a mechanical issue along the lines that bad.tag mentioned, not electrical if everything else is working from the sport button?
Old 01-09-2014, 04:46 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 112 Posts

First thing I would check is the fuse. If the fuse is good check the wire harness. See pics https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...n-a-997-a.html
Valve could be stuck. Its a very simple system and cant be that difficult to repair.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:15 PM
jbrow
Advanced

Thanks for the feedback, fskof. You're saying there's actually a fuse just for PSE? It would be wonderful if it could be that easy.

I didn't realize until now, but this issue started right around the time my car was repaired from a left-front impact. Is it possible the accident or bodyshop are to blame? I would assume all of the relevant parts of this system would be contained to the back half of the car, but maybe that's a bad assumption.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:09 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 89 Posts

I just had the same problem over the summer. My Porsche dealer said the passenger-side muffler (!) had an unrepairable internal problem and had to be replaced to the tune of $1,700. I took it to my indy for a second opinion and they fixed it by changing out the vacuum actuator (about $120) and the changeover valve ($35). The internet research I had done before taking it in tended to point to failed vacuum actuators. What was interesting was that I had already changed the changeover valve myself since it was so cheap, but the brand new OEM one I had just put on was not functional when I went in to the indy. They suspect it failed as a result of ongoing vacuum problems related to the failed actuator. Two morals to this story: (1) Even highly-trained Porsche mechanics get diagnoses wrong for whatever reason, and (2) change the actuator first, then replace the (cheap) changeover valve second.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:40 AM
jbrow
Advanced

Thank you very much, Justin - very helpful!
Old 01-11-2014, 05:53 AM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

It looks like the electro/vacuum solenoid that is stuck in the open position.
This means that vacuum is applied to the actuator of each exhaust which keeps them closed = quiet all the time.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:30 PM
jbrow
Advanced

Thanks Gert, and everyone. I have a lot of great ideas to bring to my indie when springtime hits.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:26 PM
JCD911S
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

I recently had the same problem and replaced the solenoid since it was just $35. After replacing, the driver side valve worked, but not the passenger side. Since I uninstalled the PSE to install an aftermarket valved exhaust, I inspected the vacuum actuator and it wouldn't hold vacuum. To test I just pressed the arm in, covered the air nipple and released the arm. The driver side stayed in, while the passenger side fully re-extended. I'm looking for a new actuator now in case I decide to return to stock.

Quick Reply: Porsche Sport Exhaust will not activate